Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxLee Precision

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: What was your first real fishing reel ?

Boolit Master

Mitchell 308 & 300 spooled with Royal Bonnell brown monofilament line. I still have the 308, the 300 was destroyed many years ago.

CW
    NRA Life member NRA Certified Pistol & Shotgun Instructor NRA Certified Rifle Coach Certified Range Officer Reloading Instructor
    REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Banned
    A 2"x8" piece of bamboo you wrap the line around fed through a metal eye tied on a bamboo pole.

The first open face spinning reel I seen.it was called a spin joy cost $3:95 but that was 1953 price.next was arex vagabond

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Mitchell 308 & 300 spooled with Royal Bonnell brown monofilament line. I still have the 308, the 300 was destroyed many years ago.

CW
    Always used to use Royal Bonnell. Very strong stuff for the diameter. It did twist up easily though. I caught a 23 lb Chinook Salmon on 8 lb Royall Bonnell and my Shakespere 2062 from shore. It was like hooking my line to the hitch on a truck. I just cranked the drag down until the tip sat on the back of my hand and watched as he pulled out almost all of my 300+ yards of line. Finally cranked the drag so it wouldn't let line out and winched him in. Amazed that nothing broke. Here is the pic (1970 or 1971)Attachment 224746
    Cant seem to get rid of that wrong pic. That was me after a near fatal accident. In 1987. Spent almost 5 years on crutches.
    Last edited by Traffer; 07-31-2018 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper003 View Post
    The first open face spinning reel I seen.it was called a spin joy cost $3:95 but that was 1953 price.next was arex vagabond
    Many people around here collect old fishing stuff. Your reel may be worth some good bucks now. I used to have a reel that my grandpa gave me in 1957 when they moved to CA. It was a very simple reel with a spool that could be rotated so the open end was facing a hole in a shroud, like a modern spincast. It was made well before monofilament probably in the 30's or 40's but it worked by free spooling line like a modern reel. The problem with it was that the retrieve ratio was horrible. Only one revolution per crank which was about 7" so it was worthless for most fishing. I can't remember if I ever actually tried it out. Probably would have used either fly line or casting rod line.

Penn 209 bought with money from selling tomatoes. 6 years old.
    T

Abumatic 110, I got it in -74 when I was 11.

Got a pike with it today. Made a good soup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190430_193443_884.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	240802

Boolit Master
    I bought a Penn Beachmaster when I lived in Camp LeJeune as a kid. When we moved to upstate NY I bought a D.A.M. Quick spinning reel. I used that for many years. Here in Alabama I joined the local Bass Club and bought a used Ambassador from a member.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy

Johnson Century 100 then a Mitchel 300
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456