RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: 45 acp primer pocket size

Boolit Master

45 acp primer pocket size

Ok I see that I have several thousand large primer pocket 45acp and only a small amount of small primer pockets. What is the advantage or downside either. Which do you prefer to use and why?

Boolit Grand Master

I use whatever I can get my hands on! Small primers were first used in "green" ammo; NT or "non-toxic. Use same loads/methods with small primed brass and you'll not notice any difference.
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=ut...45%20acp&type=
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Until the "green" ammo, the only primer size used in .45acp was the large pistol primer. Both will load fine with the appropriate primer. That said, there's more large primer around, so it's generally easier to load with large primer.

I load mostly large, because that's what I have. I save up the small primer brass until I've got enough for a batch, load them and shoot them someplace where I don't have to worry about saving my brass.

Boolit Master
    I keep the small primer and large primer .45 ACP brass seperate but I load them exactly the same and get the same performance from both.

Boolit Mold
    i"m confused, are you saying that you use large and\or small primers in the same case? Or are there two diferent sized primer holes?

Boolit Mold
    Sorry, i just re-read Ed shots reply and it answered my silly question.

Boolit Bub
    The small pocket brass is pretty handy to have on hand when you run out of LP primers. Its also a PITA when they get mixed in with your large pocket brass. I haven't seen any difference in performance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cja245 View Post
    Its also a PITA when they get mixed in with your large pocket brass. I haven't seen any difference in performance.
    I had never heard of the small primer .45 ACP. Until I ran a bunch of range pick-up through my Dillon 650. Had to dump all my filled tubes and sort out the problem-causing headstamp. I *think* it was Speer.

Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Man
    Speer, Federal, and Winchester are all making the small pocket brass. I think it's a pinko communist maneuver to infuriate and frustrate those of us that make our own into quitting.

Boolit Master

makes sense to me, They would do anything to get us to quit.

Boolit Master

If you make a billion rounds a year and save one tenth of one cent on each primer, that adds one million dollars to your bottom line.

How much does that add to the president's bonus?

I predict you are going to see more small primers in the future.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

Have to agree Sir.

Boolit Bub
    I just found this out a few weeks ago as I have been loading old army crimped in primer brass for years, all large
    primers.

Boolit Master
    I actually prefer the small primed brass because I don't have to change out the priming mechanisms on my progressive press. Its not a big deal if you don't already have a ton of large primed brass like many of you probably do.

In fact after I get a few more large primed brass saved up I may post a trade to get small primed brass.

Boolit Mold

About three years ago I bought 4k once-fired small-primer 45 brass, for the simple reason that it was 25 percent cheaper than lp brass. I have used the same load data as lp, and haven't had any problems. I wish I'd bought 10k.

Boolit Master

I have way more large than small primer pockets, I guess it comes down to loading what you get your hands on. I bought a large tub of brass friday at the junk yard for $1.40 a pound at 13 lbs, I don't know if that sounds good or not but it was a heck of alot of brass for $18.00, I can't get near that much buying individual caliber sales.

I had some good accurate loads with the large primers and I had bought 1500 of the small primer brass for a real good price. I started loading them up and noticed certain loads were really good. I tested side by side with 2 different guns, several powders and with Fed and CCI primers. The small primers consistently got tighter groups in some loads( with a rest @25yrds. Most of them were with mag primers, so that had something to do with it, but I did test with large mag primers also. Not all loads made much difference but those that did were noticeable. One particular load had shot good but I would always get 1 or 2 fliers about 2 inches out that I tried everything to get rid of, so I figured it was me or the gun just locked up goofy occasionally. After the small primers , no more fliers ! ????
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Grand Master

I just ran into my first small primers when I bought 500 raw range brass 45acp a few weeks ago. I loaded some up and have not noticed any difference between the two. I do not have a chrono though so can't tell you if it does anything in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by labdwakin View Post
    Speer, Federal, and Winchester are all making the small pocket brass. I think it's a pinko communist maneuver to infuriate and frustrate those of us that make our own into quitting.
    Agreed.
    www.shop.******brass.com
    Offering reloaders quality once fired brass at reasonable prices.