Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .45 Colt loads

Boolit Mold

.45 Colt loads

Ok guys got 255 lead bullets wanting to duplicate cowboy loads 700-900 fps.

315gr Gas check wanting full power shoot everything loads.

Guns are Ruger blackhawks.

Powders available:

WW 231
    Unique
    IMR-4227
    Blue Dot
    H-110

Probably a few others.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Boolit Grand Master
    The 231 and Unique will build the CAS loads, the Bluedot, IMR-4227, and H-110 will built up your wrist!

Though Ruger BHs are tough revolvers, be cautious. There was a report here a while back where a guy sheared off the screws securing the grip to the frame.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Banned

Yes, good advice. You can't download H110 much because it is the same as 296. Unique and 231 are great.
    I sheared the grip frame screws in my SBH when I went to 320 gr boolits. The reason is they were loose and I didn't see it. You just have to keep them loc-tited and tight. I make it a habit of checking them often now because I shoot heavy loads. They won't break if tight.

Banned

9 grains of unique.

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 to Lloyd's text. 9.0 grains of Unique gives about 850-875 FPS to both #454190 and #454424 in my BisHawk x 7.5". This should be safe in modern Colt SAA's and their replicas of decent quality. It has been a very useful and comfortable load for me.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

X3 for the 9.0 grains of Unique
    Both my 45 revolvers(5.5"Bhawk & 4 3/4" colt clone) LOVE this load.
    I even shot an antelope with that load last fall.
    If you want even softer recoil, with nearly the same FPS try using 6.5 grains of RED DOT.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Banned

tell you my favorite 45 colt load. Its a 255 swc ahead of 9.5 grains of herco. that load seems to shoot in every 45 colt i have owned and seems to edge out unique in accuracy.

I used 8.5/Unique under 250-270 bullet for normal plinking and brush carry. For more power I go to 20/4227. This latter load will go over 1,000 fps. That is as hot as I go in the 45 Colt even though Blackhawk revolvers will take much hotter stuff.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't think I've tried any Herco in the 45 Colt, but the stuff sure works in the other Magnum revo cases for sedate SWC loads (800-1000 FPS).
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Herco has been a favorite for many shooters, at Lloyd's specific load of 9.5 grains with a 250 grainer. 4756 is the same speed and is a single base as opposed to Herco's double base. The single base powder is chosen for my guns, in general, because it has been historically much cleaner burning and measures like a ball powder. I would obtain either on a moment's notice, and pick the cheapest in an 4 or 8 pounder. Another advantage of 4756 is that it can be undercharged for easier recoil while maintaining accuracy. On the other hand, Herco delivers more power at the same loading because it has more energy due to it's double base formulation. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    The single base powder is chosen for my guns, in general, because it has been historically much cleaner burning...
    Uh oh, careful there Felix. The mere mention of "clean burning powders" sets some folks into a frenzy, badmouthing such powders as only being fit for those who don't know how to clean guns. (I hope everyone recognizes that I'm just kidding here!)

I haven't tried Herco yet, but I'm using much more Power Pistol than Unique now. PP meters so much better through my Uniflow, and yes, it is cleaner burning. It's also at least as accurate as Unique in my guns. In my Redhawk in .45 Colt I like anything from 9 to 10 grains, but I've had good luck going a little lower with it. However, for slower than about 900 fps I tend to use either 231 or Clays (mainly because that's what I've got on the fast side of the scale). I haven't tried any SR 4756, but I may pick up a pound after reading about your experience with it Felix.

Mike

Banned

dont know why but even though unique is one of my favorite powders herco has allways seemed to do a tad better in the 45. Now if you asked about 44 mags id give unique and power pistol a toss up right now. Both seem about equally likely to produce the best accuracy in a given load. Anohter thing odd about herco is that it doesnt meter the best. It aint bad but theres powders that meter much better. Like universal clays and power pistol but anymore i just ignore it. I set the measure and go to town and 9 times out of 10 herco will do better on paper then any of them.

Banned

a little more. I just got done wringing out a new ruger montado. I used herco power pistol unique and Universal clays. All at 9 9.2 and 9.5 grains with 5 differnt swcs in the 250 range and a lfn and wfn that go about 270 each. What came out on top was the first load i tried the old tried and true 9.5 herco and the rcbs 255 swc. 12 shots into just over an inch. Not to bad for an out of the box 3 3/4 in fixed sighted ruger with an 8lb trigger. Im sure next week when the triggers done ill get that under an inch.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    11 grains 4756 for a top-end load at mid-speed in the 44 maggies with 250 grainers. Top end here means consistent pressure for the powder speed. Herco, the same for all practical purposes. ... felix
    felix

Banned

is there a place to buy this cheap? I wouldnt mind trying some. Ive found 4759 surplus but not 4756

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    is there a place to buy this cheap? I wouldnt mind trying some. Ive found 4759 surplus but not 4756
    SF4756 comes in 8oz cans. Goes for just under $10 here. One of my favorite 45 Colt powders.

10 grains (Speer #13 & IMR's older data) is the published max under a 255gr cast bullet for Colts/Replicas. Gets me in ~850 in most of my Rugers. A half grain more gets me over 900 fps in all my Rugers except my 3-3/4" Montado which averages 880 fps. Accurate, fluffy so it fills the case better most powders, burns completely and meters well in my Lee Perfect Powder Measure.
    Last edited by Whit Spurzon; 08-24-2007 at 09:24 PM. Reason: add info

Boolit Master

My yard sale .45 is using 6.0 of Titegroup with a Lee .252, it works for me.But this is just paper punch fun,no compitition.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

5.6 gr. Trailboss under 250 gr. RNFP shoots one holers out of my 4 5/8" Vaquero, when I do my part. Trailboss will shoot WAY cleaner than that nasty old unique. I'm pretty sure Copenhagen and old, dry mule turds burns cleaner than unique.

45 load

12 grs of HS-6 under the Lee 300 grainer works for me. I'm just a nubie shooting a revolver but off the hood of my pick up I can pretty much hit a gallon milk jug every time with a box stock black hawk at around 25 yards or so. Though I've not shot more then 50 in one sitting I' pretty sure this round could be shot all day long. If I remember correctly out of the BH's 4 5/8 inch barrel that slug is moving around 950 fps or so

Roy

Boolit Master

Don't lose your grip...frame

Ready,

I bought a new Ruger Blackhawk, .45 Colt, 7.5". Shot it for about 2 years. Shot everything from light to heavy. The aluminum grip frame broke during a box of 23 gr h4227 under Lee 300 gr RF at about 1250 fps. That was maybe the third box of those heavy hitters. Ruger told me that was fairly common with heavy .45s and the aluminum frame. They wanted $225 to put a steel one on and blue it. I wound up getting a brass one from a gentleman on this forum and got back in business. The brass looks nice. But be ye informed. If your grip frame is aluminum, start looking for what's going to replace it, or leave the 300 grs on the shelf.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast