RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black powder 44.40

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post

For some bizarre reason, I just enjoy the daylights out of the smaller hyphenated Winchester calibers. The only one of them not in residence is the 38-40, and a repro '73 keeps whispering in my ear.

Or is that "The Little Voices"--again? They can be an unruly lot.
    Al,

I had a repro '73 32-20 Uberti, and I was not happy with it. Got it on a trade deal then traded it in. Here was my issue with it:

1. Feeding/extracting was a problem, because it uses the same parts a the 357.(bolt & extractor)
    2. Oversized chambers are too hard on brass.

* For what it's worth, I also had the same in a 357 and it's a better choice for that gun. Wish I would have never sold that one!

Jon

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WBH View Post
    Where have you been getting your ceramic beads? I am looking for a reasonable source.
    I got mine from Buffalo Arms, in fact I told them where to find them, but I noticed that Cabela's now lists them in their catalog too.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I don't know if I should say this or not.

I have a Uberti 1873 Winchester Repo in 38-40. It has a 24" barrel, case hardened action and blued barrel. I have been shooting it with BP (carefully cleaned out afterward) but not very much (probably not more than 500 rounds). I just have not had time.

I had a tang sight mounted on it by a local gunsmith, but I am pretty sure it is leaning slightly. I can't see it, but I had to put the front sight off center to get it on target. I need to see about shimming the rear sight a bit, but have not gotten around to it.

I am not looking to sell it, but would be interested in talking about a trade. PM me if anyone is interested.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    Bob,

Your .44-40 should do fine with SPG lube in the grooves without a cookie or an overpowder wad. However, every gun is a law unto itself and yours might like such a thing, but typically grease cookies are indicated when the powder charge is twice yours, or the bore is of smaller diameter. I can only get about 35-39 grains of Goex 3F into my shells, the larger amount only with semiballoon head shells. I use the standard 42798 solid or 42499 HP bullets. I find that blowing through the barrel seems to help accuracy.

Your 92 ought to be able to handle smokeless powder loads, if it's in good condition. I have used 11.5 grains of Blue Dot behind the above boolits, but my standard compromise powder charge for use in both pistol and rifle is 11 grains of SR-4756 (not 4759) behind the two boolits.

Just a quick question on the bullet 42798 in the 44wcf. Whenever I have tried this bullet as recommended, I end up having one or more of them recoil back into the case while in the magazine tube. No amount of crimp will stop it. Clue me in what to do.
    Calaveras Slim

U.S. Army, retired

'nuff sed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by calaverasslim View Post
    Just a quick question on the bullet 42798 in the 44wcf. Whenever I have tried this bullet as recommended, I end up having one or more of them recoil back into the case while in the magazine tube. No amount of crimp will stop it. Clue me in what to do.

I had that problem. The reason is because the 42798 does not have a crimping groove. It has ONE lube groove, but you are supposed to crimp on the curve of the bullet nose ahead of that.

You are either using smokeless powder (which does not fill the case) or not enough black powder to get compression. With a full case of BP, enough to be compressed about 1/8", the bullet will not push back into the case.

BTW, this is not a problem when used in a revolver. The 42798 is fine for that regardless of the powder used.

Boolit Grand Master
    Jon K--

I knew those Little Voices were being jerks. Again.

In 2004 while in search of the 32-20 I saw a '73 rifle in 32-20 at Big John's for about the same money as the Uberti/Cimarron. It was an early 1900's gun, IIRC. My thoughts at the time were to get that one if I was going to cough up Cimarron-level bucks. The Marlin at less than half that price was kind of a no-brainer, esp. with SWMBO in the loop by that time.

I've seen those listings for the '73's in 357 Magnum, and thought "NO WAY" due to the caliber's pressure ratings. After all, the original '73's are a "no-go" for the old High Velocity 32-20 ammo. Did you "low-ball" the loads in your rifle?
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WBH View Post
    Where have you been getting your ceramic beads? I am looking for a reasonable source.
    I missed the "reasonable" the first time. I'm assuming you are talking reasonable price. Consider that they last a lifetime and then look at price. I got a second tub for my Lyman vibrator and just keep them in there. Every time I use them I clean them and separate out the brass using a kitchen strainer. Just rinsing them under running water is adequate. Pour them back in the vibrator tub, put on the lid, and store.

The ones Cabelas is selling appear to be the industry standard cylinder with an angled cut face. I got the recommendation for 3mm beads from the Blackpowder guys on the old Shooters.com site. This is what Buffalo Arms had, I have no idea what they have now.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Calaveras Slim,

As HarryO indicated, a case load of b.p. will support the bullet and hold it in place. The 427098 bullet was introduced prior to 1900 and was designed to be used with b.p. In addition, a capacity load of either Alliant RL7 smokeless or one of the b.p. substitutes will work as well.

With a less than case filling load of powder, you should find that the Lee Factory crimp die will hold the bullet in place since it pushes the end of the case neck into the bullet from the side, thus forming its own crimping groove.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Master

ceramic beads

I'm pretty sure Midway had the ceramic beads. I know that DD at www.biglube.com sells them, in some sort of cleaning kit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12