Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Sights

Boolit Master

Sights

OK boys and girls (Ladies and Gentleman), I know with cast boolits there is less friction but in the 30-30 is it so much so that you would run out of adjustment with the buckhorn sight ? Is that why so many put tang or peeps on their lever guns ? The 444 and 32 WS are adjusted up also on my rifles, with the 32 WS being at max to get to the bullseye on the target at 25 yds. The 30-30 seems to be about 5 inches low with the buckhorn all the way up at 25yds, would like to keep all of the rifles clean for brush guns for quick acquisition of the target while hunting and these eyes of mine are starting to fail me for good sight picture and sights are getting real fuzzy anymore, bummer, LOL.
    Thank you for any input you have.

Keith
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

Here is one idea you might like to look into.

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/vi...ghlight=magnum

thats why i put an aimpoint over the top of my 357CB.still good as a brush gun and it just shot a 3 shot half inch group at 50 yards with my 185GC boollits over 12.5 grains 2400 and fed small pistol primers.I keep thinking it won't do any better but the more loads I try the more I get surprised by this gun.I thought leverguns would be not as accurate as my other stuff but the only thing they do that is different is it tends to string up or down a little.the groups still stay in inch and a half or so.I could shoot it good with iron sights but with the aimpoint on it I can hit a pop can as fast as the dot comes down on it and never miss at 50 yards off hand and cycling,shooting very fast.

Moderator Emeritus
    Keith,

What load are you using with the .32 Special? Do you know the velocity? I have had to increase the elevation of my sights to compensate for the lower velocity I am shooting cast at, but I haven't run out of elevation.

If you are out of elevation on the rear sight, you would want a lower front sight. I recently bought a Marlin in .32 Special and had to adjust the blade a notch or two to get sighted in at 50yds. I am using 9.5gr Unique behind a RCBS 32-170-FN. I haven't chronographed the load yet but hope to this week.

When I put Williams peep sights on two lever actions I did need to change out the front sight blade. I had to get a higher one for one rifle and a lower one for another. I bought the new front sights from Brownells. They have a number of different heights.

John

Boolit Master
    I'm running the 32 WS with 19.2 of 3031, pushing the 1600fps area and the PB Lyman 319XXX 165gr is performing good but a little low, didn't really want to go with a red dot but might just have too, at targets I do have to squint to get everthing to come into focus and the last 3 pair of eye glasses have sucked and the Doc can't find anything really wrong so I squint LOL and use dollar store readers.
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

Boolit Master
    Get some peep sights and a Lyman 17A for the front, adjust, and get used to them. They can be as fast as any buckhorns, but easier to see and have more adjustment. PLUS OLD EYES CAN SEE THEM EASIER.

Jon

Talking

Peeps are faster than buckhorns, it is just a matter of getting use to them. They are also inherently more accurate because they increase sight radius. I prefer Tang mounted peep sights which I keep folded down while on the stalk, and point shoot at pigs if I jump them, but easily flips up for aimed shots at distance. Personaly I also find that Tang sight do not ruin the smooth flowing lines of the receiver for the hand or the eye.

The human eye/brain will naturaly try to look thru the center to the peep with ZERO effort on your part, leaving you to only put the front sight on the target(not align the blade in a notch).

The one in the middle is a 1894CP and shot the target at ranges varing from 50-100yrds with a 158gr .357 round over 5.0gr of Unique. The other is a .30-30 and even the FAL has a peepsight(apature sight).

IMNSHO/YMMV
    Last edited by Cracker; 08-14-2007 at 12:27 AM.
    Yes, I know it's cocked, It's got bullets too.

If it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911 no matter what it looks like!!

ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.america -- reboot constitution? (Y/N)

Boolit Master
    Gotta agree, put a williams on and a lyman 17 globe front sight on one of your levers and don't look back. I have the same setup on my canadian cenntennial in 30-30 and used to joke about it being a lever actioned match rifle. Don't joke anymore cause it really makes a difference. I had a buckhorn on my 95 winchester in 30-40 krag. But will be altering a redfield series 70 steel receiver sight to fit the '95. The redfield has 60 points for elevation versus the 45 of the lyman. Plan to shoot heavy boolits. Seriously, go to peeps and the globe front sight. I put the largest insert in and with an even ring of light around the target it makes a big difference than the buckhorn sights that come with most lever actions. Don't know if a pinhead insert comes with the newer lyman 17's but if you get lucky and get one try it out. Frank