RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Lee Mold-handle pin problem

Boolit Man

Lee Mold-handle pin problem

I searched on this and couldn't find any info, so hopefully this isn't a dupication. My Lee 148gr WC mold is about a year old and has cast less than 1000 bullets. I was casting recently and on of the pins that holds a mold half on the handle fell out. I put it back in place and didn't feel much resistance sliding the pin back in. I'm afraid that it will likely fall out again. Any suggestions about how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master

Put it back in and use steel punch to flatten some of the aluminum around the hole to keep it in.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Like 500mag said, just put the pin back in and peen the mould block over the pin. This is a pretty common thing with Lee moulds and does not affect their use. I usually do this as preventive insurance when I get a new mould. Once resecured, it shouldn't come loose again.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the replies. I'm looking for something that's the right diameter to peen the mold to keep the pin in place.

NHrifle - looks like the White Mountains in the background of your pic. I spent a lot of time there while working on a degree from UNH.

I like to use a hollow style punch that will peen evenly around pins I'm trying to tighten up. Look at certain crimped primers for what I'm describing, it ends up looking like a ring around the pin. This way it doesn't move the pin to one side or another, though it wouldn't move much here.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Banned

roll pins go in and stay in.

Boolit Master

That picture was taken on the western side of the Continental Divide on the Going To The Sun Road in Montana. Glacier National Park. I held the camera while we posed since no one was around to take it. That was the most fun vacation my wife and I ever took. I made a slide show of our time there, check it out when you have a few minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spYyHsfQBiY