PBcastcoRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm speachless...

Boolit Buddy

I'm speachless...

Any of you that have read my posts know I'm rarely at a loss for words, in fact I find that I tend to get a bit long winded from time to time on subjects that I'm passionate about.

I was totally at a loss for words TWICE today.

A few months back I was out west shooting at what I thought was an old rarely used gravel pit on county land, I'd shot there a few times as there was a fair amount of evidence that others did too: boxes, cans, sadly some glass, etc. While I was putting a few rounds over the Chrony an old farmer in an Ford with a snow plow on the front pulls up, so I stop shooting & talk to him for a few minutes, turns out it's his property, he just lets the county stage gravel there for county road maintenance. Well at that point I'm figuring I'm about to get run off, but no, he says he was about to post it a while back till he noticed that after each time he saw my Jeep(it's a bit distinctive being Ex USFS light Green) there was less leftovers than the day before, so I was welcome to shoot as much as I wanted, just not before sunrise "as the missus has trouble sleeping sometimes & I like to let her sleep if she can..."

About a month ago I was on my way back home & noticed him over at the house fighting with the snowplow mechanism. Seems it's been broken for some time, and he had a few rather steep quotes to fix it. I looked at it & it was going to need some work, but nothing too difficult, so I talked him into following me into town to my house where I could work on it(getting him to agree was no easy task), we got it in the garage & I sent him home in my Jeep, that was a Saturday morning, Sunday afternoon I called him & said when he got a chance come get it... I had all the pivot points rebuilt & re-enforced, a couple of supports re-welded & had the hydraulics working again. He asked what he owed me, told him, nothing, it was the least I could do, & still believe that. When he arrived we talked for a while & he grudgingly said that if they were better off financially he would have insisted on paying, but as it was he'd brought a couple boxes of beef, mixed steaks, roasts & burger(there was easily a hundred pounds of beef, worth more than I would have charged IF I were going to charge, but it was a situation where arguing it would have been disrespectful so I just said thanks you & we put it in the freezer).

Well time went by & I had stopped a couple other times when I saw him out & a couple weeks ago he invites me in for coffee, I notice an old Winchester 94 in the corner, so I ask if I can look at it, he says go ahead, it's obvious it hasn't been fired in a LONG time. I put it back & told him if you ever decide to sell it, let me know & I'll give you a fair price for it.

That brings us to now, Friday evening he called & asked if I'd come out to breakfast Sunday(today), there's a few things he'd like to talk about, and a couple things he'd like me to look at. I said sure I'd be there. So we had breakfast, he looks at his empty coffee cup & gets up, I figured he was just going for a refill, but he walks into the other rooms & comes back with the old 94, says "me & Betty talked about it & think this has been standing in the corner long enough, we think Danny would want you to have it..." This is where I go speechless the first time as what just happened sinks in, They're only son, Danny, died in the 75 during the evacuation of Saigon, the trifold Flag & his Purple Heart & Silver Star are on the mantle is the only reason I know this as neither of them talk about it, the 94 was his rifle & it stood in that corner for 40 years.

I think I stammered something about not deserving it, I got a look from Bud that said arguing wasn't going to fly along with a few insistent words from Betty.

A little while later Bud & I were looking at one of the trailers that had a few issues, mainly just needed a few welds reinforced where they were cracking & he goes quiet for a minute & looks like he's a long way off thinking, then he comes back, looks at me & says "Ya know, we get a couple agricultural deer permits each year, ain't used 'em in ages, I think it'd really make Betty happy if next fall you'd use 'em with Danny's old rifle & if ya fill em you could skin 'em in the shed..." Well, now I'm speechless for the second time in an hour, had to clear my eye, must have gotten something in it, all I managed to say, I think, is "I'd be honored"

I feel like I've just been adopted as the grandson they never had.

Boolit Master

It's rare when we get to choose family... cherish them.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Karma.
    Some say she's a bitch.
    They've just never handled her with the proper respect.

Good on ya.

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Boolit Buddy

sometimes we just have be there for each other...

Boolit Grand Master
    A great example of what happens when people treat each other with respect and generosity!
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master

Amazing and wonderful story!
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Buddy
    Adopted, No, there's alot more going on there than that. Thanks for sharing!

Made my bad eye start giving me problems again.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SlippShodd View Post
    Karma.
    Some say she's a bitch.
    They've just never handled her with the proper respect.

Good on ya.

mike

A more elequent version of what I wanted to say..,,,,,,,so X2,
    Mike

Boolit Master

I must have the same bad eye condition...

Boolit Master

Wow...that's an honor, when a family gives something that meant so much to their late son.

Damned eye condition appears to be contagious.

wow- there are still some decent people out there-gives me hope. thanks for sharing. Gotta find the Kleeenex!
    what lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to while lies within us - emerson

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
    It's rare when we get to choose family... cherish them.
    Don't think I can say anything beyond what everyone else has already said - but sweetpea's comment stands out - cherish them. Good people are hard to find, and even harder to find folks that just as well could be family

Boolit Master

BTW, we had a funeral last week for a "chosen" grandmother...

Enjoy them while you have them.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Thanks for sharing your story. It's always good to hear of such things.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    It was really good to read your story. I guess that old rural behavior that neighbors help each other ain't dead just yet.
    We drive down the road and tolerate rude drivers, people texting, eating and that all important cell phone.Don't you just love that anoying finger when that cell phone rings
    People act like if they don't answer that cell phone the world will come to an end.
    Good manners and helping your neighbor, was one of the things I was taught growing up. Thanks for the refresher

Boolit Master

You started the chain of events. By respecting another's property they realized you different than some of the others out there. Thanks for sharing that Doc. I hope a big honkin buck comes by this year.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Buddy
    I compliment you on respecting others people's property and you were rewarded with a new friend and all the good stuff that goes along with it. Treat that 94' with respect it deserves and share the harvest.

Banned

It does not get any more real than this fantastic tale. Thanks - there are still a lot of good folks out there.

Boolit Master

That eye condition is spreadiing like wild fire...........you are blessed. Proud to call you a friend,indeed........
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast