Lee PrecisionInline FabricationPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another of Dad's Projects

Boolit Master

Another of Dad's Projects

Here is a rifle dad built back in the mid 1970's It has a hand cut cherry stock and a Federal Ord receiver. As you can see from the photos it is a custom M1 Garand. I will let you look at the photo of of the loaded enbloc and see if you can figure out what cartridge it is. It is wildcat and not commercially available.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3003.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	62606

Name:	100_3004.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	62607

Name:	100_3005.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	62608

Name:	100_3007.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	62609

Name:	100_3009.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	62610

The scope is just a straight 10X Tasco Scope. I have had this rifle for several years and have never pulled the trigger on it until today. I ended up having to reduce the load by 10% that I use in my bold guns, because the port pressure was a bit high. Even with the load reduced by 10% I am still zipping along at 3700 fps. Now that I have a load that will work the action and not yank the rims off of the case I can zero the rifle and work up an accuracy load. Should be fun.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master
    3700 fps !?! you mean 2700 ?
    oops just saw the wildcat thingy. maybe you did mean 3700.
    I guess 6.5/06

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    3700 fps !?! you mean 2700 ?
    No I mean 3700 fps. This round will break the 4k fps mark out of most 26 inch barreled rifles that it is chambered in with any of the bullets made for it.

Best wishes,

Joe

I should add if the bullet holds together and doesn't come apart in mid flight.
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master
    What in the corn-bread is that???
    Your dad must have been the man when it comes to custom rifle building.
    I will watch with much interest. VERY interested.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master

25-06?

Boolit Master

Plate plinker beat me to my guess.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I'll guess 6mm '06 - That is an interesting project for sure, your dad did some real interesting work.

I'm going with Bullshop's guess of 6.5-06 as well. 3700 is pretty hot tho. JW

Boolit Grand Master
    6 mm - 06

In Remembrance

I was thinking 6mm/06 also. Some of the lighter bullets may make 4000 with it?

Boolit Master
    I have a 6mm/06 on a 1903-A3 with a 28" barrel and with 100gn bullets the best I can get is 3300 fps.
    You said this gun is a wildcat cartridge that will do 3700 fps with all the bullets made for it.
    If that is the case then it must be a custom caliber with a custom swage die and there is only one bullet made for it.
    Even if it was a 22/06 it couldnt do 3700 fps with all bullets made for it because there are 90gn Bergers in 22 cal and I dont think a garand platform would survive for long at the sustained pressure it would take to get them to 3700 fps.
    I have built several 22s for the heavy bullets like a 224 Clark and 22/243 Middlestead and I would have to push them awfully hard to get 3700 with 90gn bullets.
    Man your driving me nuts with this! Come on out with it, what is it?

Boolit Master

.270-06? 7mm-06? I'm leaning to .277 though.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master
    Beautiful rifle!
    I too am quite confused though, looks to be a 6mm/06 type deal but the 4000fps and bullets made for it statments have me baffled!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master
    SWAG... .228/.270 R&M? Fits the velocity and special bullet slots as well as parent case...
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master

It is a 6mm 06. Dad built his first one in back in the late 50's to antelope hunt with. He got tired of them running a couple ridges over, stopping and looking back at him. He wanted a rifle that when they stopped running and looked back he could reach out and touch them. Then he got the idea that it would make a great rifle for hunting moose. A college buddy of mine has the first one 6mm 06 dad ever built. Dad gave up on it and said it was worn out when it went from sub MOA to MOA groups. That man got rid of more good rifles than I will probably ever own.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Grand Master

An adjustable gas plug might help with the port pressure. Quite a different looking Garand for sure! I saw a few pictures of similar sporterization of the Garand in old magazines. Not very common, and very uncommon in 6mm-06.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    An adjustable gas plug might help with the port pressure.
    I just needed to be reminded that it is not a heavy built bolt gun, and I can't fill a case full of IMR4831 or AA8700, vibrate it down and fill it again, and then stomp a 100 grain or better bullet on top. I should have been a bit more reasonable and used the max loads for the 240 WBY mag as my start data and I would have been fine.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    So, what effect does high velocity/ high pressure loads with slow burning powder have on the gas operating system of that Garand? Common knowledge has it that slow burning powders give an extended pressure impulse that is very detrimental to the parts of the gas system, which is why the gov't used faster burning powders rather than slow burners for '06 ammo and we civilians are always cautioned to do the same. Are those super high velocity rounds operating within safe pressure parameters to begin with, and do you know that for a fact? Hate to see you come to grief with an heirloom.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Joe keep posting those pictures and I just might have to drive down there to view your NEW museum.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Good Lord! That's spectacular!!!
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast