Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: slugging Springfield Armory xd 9mm subcompact

slugging Springfield Armory xd 9mm subcompact

Not sure if this is the right spot, so mods move it around as needed. So I slugged my barrel, but I'm getting some numbers I'm not so sure about. When I measured my slug across 2 of the ridges made by the groves of the barrel I got that my barrel is .347in in diameter. When I got this I used my caliper to get the inside diameter of my barrel. The highest measurement I got with the caliper then was .351in. Has anyone else ever gotten a measurement smaller than normal or am I probably doing something wrong? I've never had a problem shooting factory loads, but am now getting into casting. I bought the lee TL356-124-2r bullet mold and the .356 sizing die, but have read that most 9mm barrels are over bore so this has brought up some concern to me. Any input would be appreciated.

Sounds like you need a good micrometer. You should be getting around .355~ diameter or possibly a tid bit bigger. Those cheap calipers can be hit or miss and not looked highly upon around these parts.

Hounddog

seems you were right. I have a digital caliper and if I put pressure on the caliper to get a "snug" fit the measurement goes way down. If I just let the caliper rest on the markings i get .355

Banned

when measuring with a caliper you wanna have the part so you can rotate it barely.
    355 i'd believe [sorta] generally 357-358 boolits do best in the 9m's.

thanks for the tip. I was holding the part too tight with the caliper.

Boolit Mold
    I also have the xdm 9mm and its nearly submoa with factory ammo. I just started casting 124gn rn from a Lee mold. My groups have really opened up. Any suggestions on where to start looking for a solution.

Boolit Grand Master

.357 or .358 are usually the best with 9mm. Many 9mms will slug at .357 or larger.

Good luck with the TL design, many have had problems getting the TLs to work in 9mm, hope you
    find the sweet spot.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I've had great success with both the lee 124 rn-tl and 124 tc-tl. I wouldn't bother sizing them. Just cast, air cool, tumble lube, load and go! I'd imagine your gun will prefer a boolit in the 356-357 range and that mold should drop them real close to what you need. Get the boolits to fit right and the rest is cake. I get better groups with the slower powders out of my little glock 26. It loves HS-6, blue dot, WSF, Unique, AA#7, and Longshot. Can't go wrong with any of those!

Good luck.

Hounddog

Quote Originally Posted by mdevers View Post
    I also have the xdm 9mm and its nearly submoa with factory ammo. I just started casting 124gn rn from a Lee mold. My groups have really opened up. Any suggestions on where to start looking for a solution.
    What powder are you using? I've found that the high pressure rounds I load for (9mm, 40cal, and 10mm) group better with slower powders. HS-6, Blue dot, Longshot, AA#7, Power Pistol, and even 800x have given me stellar groups. I've also found that the faster powders like tight group, bullseye, and w231 did better in lower pressure calibers like 45acp.

Boolit Mold
    I've been using Bullseye. It works well loading cowboy loads with .38 spec
    wadcutters in my ruger 6 shooter. Not so much with the xdm
    Mike

Boolit Buddy
    I have a XD9sc slugged at .355. With 124 gr Lee TL bullets sized to .356 groups were terrible and about every 10 rounds one would keyhole. Beagled the mold and opened up the sizing die to .357.
    Groups tightened up and key holing stopped. I generally keep velocity between 975 to 1150 fps for my best groups with the 124 gr TL.

Boolit Master

I shoot .356 sized boolits in my XD9 compact, no leading, Lee 120 TC conventional lube with Lars CR.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator