MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I ain't happy

Boolit Master

I ain't happy

Rifle--H&R handi, 223, 24" heavy barrel with Weaver T36 scope.New barrel with about 300 rounds shot through it.
    --Remington brass
    --CCI small rifle primer
    --25.5 grains Varget
    --55 grain Speer soft point

Today at the range,sunny and about 40 degrees,light head wind.

Guy's I'm quite upset about how it shot,especially with a 200 yd bench rest next weekend.Obviously,it ain't ready.Now I am not the best shot and probably won't place in the high 3,but I don't won't to look bad doing it.

It was like everything was a flyer,no bullet would go were I wanted it too. 5" at 100 yds,and 10" or better at 200.They were either high or low.Right or left.Or a combination of each. I tried cleaning the barrel,removing the forearm.Made sure the scope was tight.I'm at a lose,don't know what to do.My first thought is the ammo,bullet too light? This load worked well in the bull barrel.As far as I know they have the same rate of twist.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    This load worked well in the bull barrel. As far as I know they have the same rate of twist.
    Sounds like you need to do some verifying ...
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like bad barrel or chamber or both. In 1993 or 4 had the chance to buy a new H&R SS in 22 Hornet heavy bbl for a good price. I insisted on shooting it first to see how it did. No exaggeration- 6-7+ inch random groups at 50 yards. That was the end of the "less expensive" single shot route for me.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Sounds like you need to do some verifying ...

^^^^ what he said X2

I have owned and played with several of the older 12twist H&R/NEF guns and I have yet to see one that did not like that load with other makers 50-55 grain pills, even my superlightweight barrelled handi likes that load. You might have to try a heavier boolit if it is one of the newer models with the 9twist.

Boolit Master
    Is it the first time you shot this gun with the new barrel?

Boolit Master
    Bullet too light or slightly mis-matched to twist shouldn't spew them around that bad. One possibility is a buggered crown. Another remote possibility is the scope went away somewhere between the last time is was shot on the previous mount and the current mounting. I'd maybe try one more combination. Try a 50, 52 or 53 gr flat base match bullet (one of the Berger bullets comes to mind) with a starting load of 4198 or 4895 and see what happens.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Grand Master

As mentioned, check to see if the twist rate on the new barrel is 9 or 12".

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

According to greybeards it's a 1-9 twist,same as the other barrel I have.The scope I got for Christmas.I did not expect the barrel to do great.In the beginning it actually shot better the first 100 rounds.My thinking was after it got broken in, it would do better.It seems to have gotten worse.The primers are old,20 years or so.The bullets to are aged.As it is,I have no range time between now and the weekend.

I tend to believe it is my ammo.The first batch I shot was factory Remington 55gr,factory wolf 62gr,and military 5.56.I mostly wanted break in the barrel with these. I have ran 2 batches of 50 of my loads and well that started this post.I had already made up my mind to switch to Sierra 69 gr hpbt matchking,but they are kinda hard to find now.I did dig out my Lake City brass and get it ready.

I have what I have at this point,just have to live with it.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Check your scope mounts to see if they are tight and then bore sight it again to verify POI @ 100yds
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

John Boy,that was my first thought.I did that at the range yesterday.Also yesterday afternoon I centered the cross hairs,(don't you hate starting over when someone talks to you?).Then bore sighted again.That Weaver T36 ain't all that cheap,for me anyway,just the thought of it being screwed up ain't a good thing.

Boolit Bub
    I hate to say, but have the same thing with the .243 barreled guns also. Not just one of them, but with every .243 that has came in for scope setting. Everything else had done just fine. Haven't had the .223 come in yet so can't say on that one.

Boolit Master

I think I found the issue.It would seem my rifle is older that I thought.I bought it new in '09,(I checked my receipt),it was made in '07.Barrel has a 1-12 twist.The new barrel has a 1-9 twist.I called H&R this morning.They confirmed all this,along with a suggestion to increase bullet weight.That was already in the plans,just have to wait on my back order.In the mean time,I will use the older barrel.

Banned
    I have run 40-55 grainers in my 12 twists with NO ISSUES, sure the 50-55 grainers shoot a bit tighter...but .....not sure you have it pegged just yet. Something sounds off to me.

Moderator Emeritus

I get good groups with a bolt 1 in 9 and an AR 1 in 7 with 55 gr bullets. Did you place an o ring under the forearm screw?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

just 100 J-word rounds down the bore...if your crown is good, I would consider it to be copper fouled. I had a .223 Rem Handi-Rifle in 02 that did the same thing to me. J-B the barrel heavily several times and things should smooth out around the 300th round as well.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I had a handi with 1 in 12, it shot lite bullets like a champ (under .5). If I got above 55 it would start to wander. I got a 1in 9 and it will still hold about 1" with any weight bullets. Wish I had kept the 1 /12

Boolit Master

both barrels 1 in 9,don't like 55 grainers

In Remembrance
    I have an AR15 with a 20-inch 1 in 9 barrel.
    It is just 'mil-spec' everything, with nothing special or 'upgraded'.

It will keep (55 grain) M193 ammo within four inches at two hundred yards while shooting from the traditional 'sitting position' on the ground.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Both my H&R .223 heavy barrel and superlite do awesome with 55 gr. Ballistic tips. I don't seem to get a tight a group with 52gr A-Max.

Boolit Master

I did find 1 box of Hornady 75 gr match yesterday.We'll see what this does.Hope it works,otherwise I have a mess.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast