Thread: Homemade cough syrup

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

Homemade cough syrup

Homemade cough syrup

Anyone have a receipe that works

Thanks
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Buddy
    This was realy proscribed by a Dr. for my little girl many yearsa go.
    1 part honey
    1 part lemon juice
    1 part really cheap burbon.

for a twoyear old one spoonful will do it. for me, I just swig from the bottle. Dr. told us that the really cheap burbon has an oil, left from the manufacturing that is the key ingredient. Decent burbon carbon filters this oil out,so only cheap, non-charcoal or carbon filtered burbon will work.
    I thinkthe pint I bought that afternoon cost $2.95, and twenty years later it still ain't empty.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Master

That is pretty much what Grandma always use to make, except she would use a good grade of corn whiskey. A couple of table spoons as needed and in a day or two I was as good as new. Also if you have the Mullen plant growing near buy you can dry the leaves and brew a tea in your auto drip coffee maker just like you would coffee. Sweeten it with honey and drink up. It is a natural expectorant and bronchial dilator that will break up any chest congestion you may have. As a kid growing up with Asthma I drank quite a bit of Mullen tea when I would have an attack, it does work.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Man
    Horhound cough syrup and drops
    Make it every Late summer/early fall. The horhound grows wild in the fence row behind the garden. My buddy has bee hives so I use honey in almost everything. He needs cast 255gr. .45 bullets, I need dark honey, works out great.
    http://www.localharvest.org/blog/124...ough_drops_and
    Last edited by BDJ; 02-24-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chihuahua Floyd View Post
    This was realy proscribed by a Dr. for my little girl many yearsa go.
    1 part honey
    1 part lemon juice
    1 part really cheap burbon.

for a twoyear old one spoonful will do it. for me, I just swig from the bottle. Dr. told us that the really cheap burbon has an oil, left from the manufacturing that is the key ingredient. Decent burbon carbon filters this oil out,so only cheap, non-charcoal or carbon filtered burbon will work.
    I thinkthe pint I bought that afternoon cost $2.95, and twenty years later it still ain't empty.
    CF

This is a time tested recipe! And it really works! The alcohol and lemon juice help to dissolve phlegm and the honey makes is palatable to the young 'uns.

If I am making it for me I just skip the first two ingedients and take an extra-large dose! Repeat as necessary.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Buddy
    Take one large cup, add whiskey. Repeat as necessary.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do. metalworker, woodworker, mechanic, restorer and 200.00 stamp collector

On Heaven's Range

You guys are driving me nuts.

Just about one year ago, my heart surgeon had some post-operation words of advice for me(no joke)....

He said, in just so many words: "You drink, you DIE."

As a result, I haven't had even a single beer since January 2012.

(wistfully)
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by km101 View Post
    This is a time tested recipe! And it really works! The alcohol and lemon juice help to dissolve phlegm and the honey makes is palatable to the young 'uns.

If I am making it for me I just skip the first two ingedients and take an extra-large dose! Repeat as necessary.
    Beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

Just about one year ago, my heart surgeon had some post-operation words of advice for me(no joke)....

(wistfully)
    That ain't livin' my friend. I'm curious as to what his medical explanation was as to why the occasional drink would kill you?

Boolit Master

(wistfully)
    Nothing wrong with that Bruce. Healths more important than drinking a beer

Banned

drop 4 oxycodone in a pbr!

Boolit Master

The old folks (great grandmother died at 96) used to take a half pint of bourbon and drop a few peppermint sticks in it and let them dissolve.

Makes a bit of sense: alcohol for the anesthetic effect, peppermint to help clear stuffy passages, sugar to coat and sooth.

Many modern off the shelf formulas do much the same, adding acetaminophen (Tylenol) for pain and some more aggressive drugs for the anti-congestive properties, but for a bunch of country folk living a day's ride from the nearest town, doctor, druggist, etc., the above worked pretty good.

dale in Louisiana

On Heaven's Range

"I'm curious as to what his medical explanation was as to why the occasional drink would kill you?"

Hmmm.... I had just recently had a coronary double-bypass operation, to correct what was diagnosed as heart failure. My condition before the operation was near-terminal, and afterwards I was "fragile". Alcohol was one factor that would push me closer to the edge, and the surgeon was most emphatic about the abstention.

After about fifty years of dedicated drinking (but NOT an alcoholic!), I find that I miss the TASTE of the stuff more than the elevated moods. Southern Comfort, good port, dark rum, Russian vodka....I can taste them in my imagination.....AAAAAAGH!

Also no salt, no sugar, no butter, no processed meats (bacon, sausage etc...too much salt)...it's not fun, but I'm still on the green side of the grass.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    Yep, my Armenian gramma still makes us honey and lemon mixed with any kind of booze, she prefers blackberry brandy but I'd be just as happy if that god-awful stuff fell off the planet instead of made it down my throat!

Just read something that said the honey/lemon mix has been shown to be just as good as any cough syrup, and tastes way better to me!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master

I too get a lot of relief from the 1 1 1 recipe given above. I find it doesn't give any additional relief after the first dose; you feel it bite into the soreness in the back of your throat, then a little more to coat everything and you've got all the goodness you're going to get out of that round. That doesn't stop me from finishing the 3 ounces... but I have to admit after the first ounce, it's more for relaxation.
    BDGR

Boolit Master

That ain't livin' my friend. I'm curious as to what his medical explanation was as to why the occasional drink would kill you?
    Rant on!

This mindset is so prevalent in today's society. People seem to think they just can't get by without drinking some form of alcohol.

If I were to buy some cough syrup, I would study the label to see if there is alcohol in it, then find one that does NOT contain any.

30 years this coming August will be my anniversary of not consuming alcohol. An alcohol caused accident made me make a vow that I would NEVER drink again. It's just not worth it!

Oh, you can have fun without it! The idea that everything goes with a couple of drinks is just wrong.

Yes, I've had many sessions of the ceiling spinning after going to bed. I absolutely hate the feeling of being out of control of my body. Second is the frightening hangover the next day. I was a binge drinker. I could go 10 days to two weeks with nary a drop, then look out!

I've known quite a few functional drunks. Those that would have liquid lunches in a bar & grill, they never went near the grill part! They're all dead, never got to enjoy retirement, never had money for toys, all extra $ was spent on booze and cigarettes.

Rant off, flame suit on!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by blademasterii View Post
    Take one large cup, add whiskey. Repeat as necessary.
    +1 here, preferably with good Canadian........

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy

Ihave to agree with Snuffy. There is a lot of alcoholism on my dad's sode (Native American and Military), so even if I did not have religious prohibitions, I would never dare drink. But despite that, I have occasionally "gotten in trouble" and have had a lot of fun in life,

But with that said, I have a pint of cheap brandy in the cupboard. I believe it is about 6 yrs old about now, and still mostly full. But a spoonful or two will help clear the throat and airways enough to help the breathing. But only enough for the job. Happens maybe twice in a bad year. I just treat it like the drug it is.

But this is America still (I think), so nothing wrong with differing opinions, as long as folks are responsible about it. But then, that can be said about pretty much everything in life.
    OeldeWolf
    who may yet be kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain, to eat only vegetables!

Boolit Master

(wistfully)

I think Willie Nelson said it best: "Well there's more old drunks than there are old doctors, so I guess I better have another round!"

My heart surgeon and my cardiologist both told me that "moderation in all things" is key. My cardiologist also concurred with my family doctor, who recommended a glass of wine a day to increase my good cholesterol!! I guess it depends on your specific condition or maybe your doctor.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    My doctor told me it is a good thing for me to have a shot of whiskey per day. I'm up to June 22, 2047.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Man
    may have to try that 1,1,1, mix, thanks for the info!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast