MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: question about wheel weights

Boolit Buddy

ok, here is what i have come up with and the process i used to get my results.

first i took a spent 9mm case, melted some pure lead sinkers down and poured in it. i then used my puller, to extract the slug from the case.

then i took the slug and gently tapped it into the barrel, about half way in, then back out the same way.

i took my dial calipers and measured the slug. i came up with .354

i then measured my boolits and they are a .356

is the .356 too large? the slug i made fit very loose, as far as tapping it in the barrel, i done with the palm of my hand.

the .356 boolits are hard to tap in and i have to use a hammet to even get it going.

so now i will cast a pure lead boolit in my mold and redo my slug test because i really dont think using the spent case has given me an accurate measurement.

i will soon return with more information.

Try again, but first flare the case mouth somewhat extreme. Then make a new slug, you should not be able to push it through, you should need a bit of force. Flaring the case makes one end larger and that is where to take your measurements from.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by boltons75 View Post
    Try again, but first flare the case mouth somewhat extreme. Then make a new slug, you should not be able to push it through, you should need a bit of force. Flaring the case makes one end larger and that is where to take your measurements from.
    ok thanks i will do that for sure, i didnt think about doing it that way

Boolit Grand Master
    If the slug you want to use is somewhat small, put it in a vice and squeeze it nose to base, it will grow in diameter.

Any boolit shaving while seating is unacceptable to me, I either pull the boolit or relegate that round for a fouling shot.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Buddy

That would work too.

As far as the shaving goes, I'm going to load up about a hundred rounds of what I have already cast that are .356 and head back to the range. This time I'm going to go a little hotter and maybe go with unique powder this go around. Someone said I might have loaded too light, so I will step it up some and see if the leading changes any.

In the meantime I will be doing more slug tests though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12