WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speer on primer availability

Boolit Bub
    I HATE how politicians & marketers don't answer the question.

Did the OP ask if they were running seven days a week? NO
    He asked "When do you expect to have primers available to the public in sufficient quantities."

And the replier did NOT answer the question.

Why are people so afraid to admit when they don't have an answer?
    Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway - John Wayne
    <><
    When your holding a hammer everything looks like a nail - Bryan Glover

Boolit Master
    Hondo 60,

Read my last two posts.

Clearly there is no way to answer the question in any concrete way beyond what they already said in the 2 posts which quote replies from Speer/CCI.

Speer and CCI are doing what they do best, producing a quality product as rapidly as possible all the while maintaining the needed level of quality control.

They can't give any answer beyond what they have already said, as they do not and never will control the situation beyond the gates of their operation.

As Steve Moore said yesterday, the crystal ball is very cloudy at this point.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Grand Master
    Define "sufficient quantities". How does a manufacturer know the future demand very clearly in a volatile market place?

Long as they have a full crew working around the clock as they do I ask- what more can they do?

Primers will be on shelves in large quantities when production exceeds demand, not before. I do not know when that will be.

Boolit Master

Seems like there was a post not too long ago somewhere on Castboolits that said that even running 24/7 and producing 2 million primers a day, CCI sold a years' worth of production to distributors in 2 hours recently.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Really you didn't see the answer to your question? When you see them on the shelf again is the answer how would the manufacture know when the next guy that buys a pallet full is waiting to get some

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Seems like there was a post not too long ago somewhere on Castboolits that said that even running 24/7 and producing 2 million primers a day, CCI sold a years' worth of production to distributors in 2 hours recently.

David

That is - W A Y - not likely.

There is no way they would have that many primers in stock.

They may have made a forward contract to deliver primers ( as yet unmade ) at future dates over the next year.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

I attended a dealer only show today and was told. "don't expect anything to change for 6 to 8 months".

Boolit Grand Master

I don't konw where you got the info that Clinton "shut down 4 of 5 ammo plants" but I do not think this is remotely correct. AFAIK, and I
    have lived in the KC area for more than 30 yrs, Lake City Ammunition plant on the east side of town has been THE ONLY maker of US
    gov't small arms ammo for at least that long. I have serveral friends that do or have worked there and they make a good bit of
    ammo for the civilian market, 5.56 sold as XM193 and Federal 5.56 ammo. Some has "LC" headstamps, some has "Fed" head
    stamps, same factory and same machines as the gov't ammo is run on.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Bill I would love to spend a week lookin' that plant over.

Boolit Mold
    I think a larger part of the entire ammo/component shortage is the monumentally huge buy of ammo the government has made for all of their agencys to include Homeland Security, FBI, ATF, Social Security USPS, EPA and many many more, has depleted all the raw materals and manufacturing capacity. They are buying all the brass, powder, primers and bullet materials.

I believe they are doing this with the intent to put down civil unrest in the event of a small or large uprising. It serves the double purpose of denying it to the public they may be forced to face.

Boolit Master

You know psj12 I am no .gov apologist, but huh?

Have you looked at the ammo purchase that DHS made? What was it, 1.6 billion rounds wasn't it? Ok. So how many agencies get that ammo? Spread across how many LEOs? Spread across how many years is the purchase order?

Or did you just hear the media report of ONE POINT SIX BILLION ROUNDS and then run in circles scream and shout?

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

QUESTION??
    Are we sure this is not another shortage like the 72 gas shortage???? Then it drove gas prices up and it hasn't stopped yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    You know psj12 I am no .gov apologist, but huh?

Have you looked at the ammo purchase that DHS made? What was it, 1.6 billion rounds wasn't it? Ok. So how many agencies get that ammo? Spread across how many LEOs? Spread across how many years is the purchase order?

Or did you just hear the media report of ONE POINT SIX BILLION ROUNDS and then run in circles scream and shout?

Cat
    I don't know how many orginization will be drawing from the Homeland purchase but I did here somewhere that it was over five years. Don't quote me on that.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    I live next to one of the largest ammunition distributers in the northeast here in the communist state of NY(Beikirchs Ammunition Corp). They not only sell retail to the public but are a huge whole sale outlet for ammo and components. They told me they dont expect to have a steady supply of primers until Sept or October.

Boolit Mold
    That guy should be a politician with that answer!

"When will primers be available to the general public?"

"That's an excellent question, thank you for asking that. I can tell you right now that I'm committed to ensuring the quality of our primers and that we have definitely initiated an investigation into the increasing productivity of our factories! We in fact make it a point to ensure that yes, the general public will have primers available! It is my very hope to answer your question in a timely manner. Thank you."

Boolit Grand Master

I'm just wondering why some of you expect an answer to a question that there is no answer to? Now let's pretend that he said it would be three months. Everyone would be mad if it in fact took five months. Now let's pretend he said three years. All the armchair quarterbacks would be calling him a moron and that there is no way it could take that long because they know more then him. He can't possibly answer the question as far as time frame. He said they're running 24/7 right now. So when supply catches up with demand it will be over. There is no other answer.

Boolit Mold
    Any experience with "foreign made" primers like Tula/Wolf? In all my shooting, factory and reloads, I only hade one failure to fire and that was a .410 load from a Judge, ammo was Winchester (so I assume it was a WW primer). I use mostly CCI, some WW and I have some boxes marked Rem for the primer, not many.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    When all the new people have everything they need. I'm patiently waiting for the flood of new to like new reloading gear to hit the market in about two years. Should be plenty of deals at that point. Of course this is assuming nothing major happens in the mean time.
    I am still waiting for all those generators that got bought up for Y2K to hit the used market. Not yet.

I would imagine Speer/CCI has a fear of competition from the Russians. Tula & Wolf primers may show up by the boat load. Actually just a couple containers full would be a lot of primers. Then if more shooters buy them as there only choice. They may just like them and chose to stay with the Russians after the shortages are past.

I've personally had excellent results with SR and LR Wolf primers. Am down to a couple hundred Wolf LR and may grab some up myself.

Boolit Buddy
    Tula(Wolf) primers are good-to-go.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123