Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ed's Red dispenser

Ed's Red dispenser

To wet a patch with Ed's Red, without it getting too soaked, I tried using a roll on deodorant bottle, rolling it over the patch in the palm of my hand, but that doesn't work too well as it doesn't dispense enough.

So I looked around for something else and came up with these little pump dispenser bottles for manicurists/nail technicians to use to soak their nail polish removal swabs with acetone.

Works great!!

And cost me all of $2.84 for 2 of them, inc postage (Ebay item 261083579137)

You can get much larger bottles as well, but I got the smaller ones as I doubt they seal well enough to prevent evaporation; it still holds plenty for dozens of patches.

Great idea!

Boolit Master
    My wife just showed me one. It is labled 'Almay skin conditioner' and she thinks that she bought it at Walgreen drug. Guess who is going to retreive that from the landfill??

Cast Hunter

Interesting
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    I bet they've got em at Sally Beauty Supply too. Among this crowd, I hate to say I even shop there, but those girls are helpful. They taught me more about skull whitening in 5 minutes than what I got off of the internet.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    ... a metal lighter fluid can. Flip the tip - a drop or a squirt
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

I use a soy sauce bottle. I put a patch over the mouth of the bottle and invert it. Depending on the size of the patch, I either invert it quickly or wait a second or two. The long neck makes for easy grabbing...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Ed`s Red dispenser method

I use a similar method as Ray.

I use alot of Frank`s Hot sauce and reuse the bottles. The caps are very snug fitting and easy to use for applying on cleaning patches for bore cleaning.

Have donated many small bottles of Ed`s Red that way locally with a easy to understand explanation as to how to use it. The follow-up comments have been 100% positie, and many have home brewed their own mix for future use.

I have always skipped the addition of lanolin, as I inspect everything twice a year and have no need for it with my personal method of overall care of my items.

My only precaution is that the bottles are labeled, as Ed`s Red looks just like strawberry Kool-Aid.

Regards,

Scott
    One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Banned

Cholula hot sauce, with the wooden lid. Soy sauce and some of the fancy vinegar bottles have the plastic "shaker" insert that helps a lot if you "stump yer toe" while wetting a patch or drizzling some on a brush. So far, all the Nylon shakers and gaskets in these types of bottles have been unaffected by the solvent, been using several for at least two years now and they're still like new.

Gear

I started looking for an alternative after I'd scavenged a plastic HP sauce bottle, but decided I didn't want to risk the solvents in Ed's Red dissolving the bottle.

I figured it was worth $1.42 to have something small and handy which shouldn't dissolve; after all, if it's made to take 100% acetone.............

Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Norbrat,

Brilliant! Just ordered two.

Thanks,

Matt

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    ... a metal lighter fluid can. Flip the tip - a drop or a squirt
    THAT is a great idea.

Boolit Buddy
    Google-- Zoom Spout Oiler

Its what I have used for the past 20 years for ED's Red, works good and cheap.

good luck

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Is that dispenser on the left showing plastic degradation?

BvT

That looks like a great idea.

My Dad uses an old Cepacol plastic spray bottle to hold Ed's Red. The plastic has not deteriorated over 20 years and the pump sprayer in the bottle has held up. Takes about two or three pumps to wet a 12-ga sized patch.

Mark
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it. Col. Jeff Cooper

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I bought a supposed solvent bottle from harbor freight (ha) and the Ed's Red after 2 months turned it into mush.

I like the idea of glass, next empty bottle I have is getting saved for this.

The bottles Fixodent powdered denture adhesive come in have a spout similar to an eyedrop bottle. Marked 2 on the bottom but I've used them for years with ed's red, sweet's etc. Nice thing is they don't leak much if any when you knock them over.

Boolit Master

Sinclair sells little bottles that really are chemical proof. I mean, this is what they are meant for. I've had some for years and they're fine. Cheap enough and good. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

eBay link in the OP wasn't valid, but I tracked them down. All sold from China or Hong Kong. No thanks!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I just emptied a soy sauce bottle last night and cleaned it this morning. I downloaded the Ed's red recipe and it looks like this:

CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner
    1 part Dexron ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.
    1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1
    1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits
    CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent.
    1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.
    (Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)

Can I add liquid lanolin? I have some around the house because I mix it with alcohol to make my case lube.

Also, could I store the extra mix in a canning jar? Would it be a problem with the lid?

Don't me to hijack the thread, but this thread finally got me try it. Thanks!
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin