RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Is this lead ok to use?

Fairfield Bay Arkansas In the Ozark Mtns On the North Shores of Greers Ferry Lake!!!

Is this lead ok to use?

My best friend is giving me 20 or 22 lb lead bar ok. He got it from his brother in law and he asked him for me where he got the lead he used to melt down to make the big bars. He works for a construction company and they had torn down an old hospital exray room and his boss gave him and some others the lead blocks that was used to make the lead walls. I dont know how much he got or anything all I do know is he said it was safe. Is this type lead good for casting? My best friend is using it in his 44 Mag and has no problems with fouling.
    THANKS
    BILL

Taurus M66
    357 Mag
    4IN 7 rnd

IF YOU HAVE CAME INTO MY HOUSE AND YOUR INTENTIONS ARE ANYTHING OTHER THAN HONARABLE MY REACTIONS TO YOUR ACTIONS WILL BE VERY UNPLESANT!!!

Boolit Master
    Use it.

Fairfield Bay Arkansas In the Ozark Mtns On the North Shores of Greers Ferry Lake!!!
    Ty you much. My buddy uses it so I will give it a shot lol and hey its free...
    THANKS
    BILL

Taurus M66
    357 Mag
    4IN 7 rnd

IF YOU HAVE CAME INTO MY HOUSE AND YOUR INTENTIONS ARE ANYTHING OTHER THAN HONARABLE MY REACTIONS TO YOUR ACTIONS WILL BE VERY UNPLESANT!!!

My new rumor of the week is going to be...
    After a couple of years, night shooting becomes possible due to the targets being back lit by the backstop.

Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    My new rumor of the week is going to be...
    After a couple of years, night shooting becomes possible due to the targets being back lit by the backstop.
    Hey dbosman I see your from East Lansing! Man I havent been up that way in awhile I drove over the road for 15 yrs after the Army hauled alot of car parts to Canada.
    So are you saying my boolits will leave a certian kind of glow in the berm? lol
    THANKS
    BILL

Taurus M66
    357 Mag
    4IN 7 rnd

Boolit Buddy Sergeant Earthworm's Avatar
    Bill, shouldn't be any issues with that except it is probably about 99% pure lead and therefore too soft for casting pistol bullets without adding some tin/antimony. If you can check the hardness that would be a good first step. A couple years ago a friend gave me about 60 pounds out of an old x-ray machine and it was excellent.

If it turns out to be pure lead, I would suggest mixing it with about 2 to 3 parts wheel weights if you have any to 1 part pure lead. If you don't have wheel weights it shouldn't be too tough to find some or some ingots made from wheel weights.

Muzzleloader casters (like me) prize pure lead because pure lead is pretty much essential for casting conical muzzleloader bullets. Pure lead is becoming more and more difficult to find since a lot of it is being shipped to battery manufacturers in China.

Boolit Grand Master

Actually, pure cut 50/50 with ww's is an excellent alloy. If you want to shoot it fast water drop it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by wjb1260 View Post
    Hey dbosman I see your from East Lansing! Man I havent been up that way in awhile I drove over the road for 15 yrs after the Army hauled alot of car parts to Canada.
    So are you saying my boolits will leave a certian kind of glow in the berm? lol
    That's the rumor I'm starting. !
    I can deactivate the bad lead - via email - if people want to be safe. For just a slight fee, of course.

Boolit Buddy
    Nuclear lead is fine. 50/50 with WW is great. go for it. Water Drop and 'cure for 30 days to make them harder. Shoot 45 LC's at 1200 with this alloy and casting. Good accuracy...no leading but form to MY CYCLINDER in Ruger Bisely.

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

Awsome thanks everyone. I am picking up a rounded up 5 gal bucket of WW's today or Monday. I have posted to someone elses thread about slugging. this is what I wrote this morning on there thread:

Sorry to Hijack your thread OP but I am new here and I also am new to smelting and casting and this things I too need to know. I have reloaded off and on most of my adult life. I allways bought my bullets for reloading but now I am disabled and retired and as we all know the cost of ammo is cheaper if we make our own and being on a fixed income not to mention I enjoy it it is alot easier on my wallet. I have never in my life ever slugged a barrel but then again I never reloaded lead bullets allways SJ's or FMJ's so I never really had a problem with fouling. I am shooting some cast bullets right now that I got from a friend and he lubed them but I am getting just a little fouling. So how do I slug a revolver? Also can it be checked with an inside mic?

I just cheked with my calipers again to be sure and my cast boolits are .358 my new mould I just got in is .358 so we will see when I am able to get started smelting and casting.
    THANKS
    BILL

Taurus M66
    357 Mag
    4IN 7 rnd