Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: New acquisition: .40 rifle by E. T. Hobbs

New acquisition: .40 rifle by E. T. Hobbs

I acquired an older, custom made percussion rifle this week. The only markings on the gun are on the lockplate. It reads "E.T. Hobbs" and has the number 760 stamped on the extreme left. I cannot find anything about a gunsmith named E.T. Hobbs, but this appears to be a nicely made long rifle. I will guess that it was made in the 1970's. The inletting and wood to metal fit is excellent and the brass components are well shaped and installed. The stock is very well made and has good color and grain. The barrel has been left in-the-white. The previous owner must have owned the rifle long enough that he got to the point where a scope was necessary (I know the feeling!), since he added scope blocks at some point. I have seen blocks like this before, but am not familiar with the type of rings needed to use them. I will probably remove the blocks and use open sights as long as I can. Anyway, it's a nice gun and only set me back $250, so I think I did well. I slugged the bore and it is a .400 land to land, and .4185 groove to groove. I suppose I will go with a .395 ball. Squirrels and coyotes had better look out! Now, if my wife sees this rifle, then I have had it for years and she has just forgotten about it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hornady308 View Post
    Now, if my wife sees this rifle, then I have had it for years and she has just forgotten about it.
    That is how it works for me. I sneak it home and into the safe, then a few days later I go digging around in my gun room where my safe is, and come dragging out the gun. If the wife asks, it came out of the back of my safe, I just haven't messed with it for a long time.

That is a nice looking gun and not a bad price. You will have to report back as to how well it shoots.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Grand Master

I just put mine away and eventually pull it out and if the wife asks, I've had that one awhile. That's the advantage(besides the obvious) of having allot of guns.
    Aim small, miss small!

It looks like a very good gun. I like it.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

That's rather shallow rifling for a supposed round ball gun I would have thought. My Colerain barrels slug .400/.424
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

I took the barrel off today and found out that at least the barrel came from Dixie Gun Works. It is marked "Turner Kirkland" and "Belgium." I know that Dixie sold barrels to gun builders, so it is possible that all the parts for this gun came from Dixie.

Boolit Master
    i see some have found the advantage of having a large pile of guns you can sneak a new one in and the wife will never know the difference.

Boolit Master

I was in a gun shop the other day trying to sell/trade a black gun that I have absolutely no use for, and saw a 40 custom built 40 cal. It would have been a nice gun had it been taken care of. The stock was beat... No the entire gun was beat all to hell. The barrel looked like someone had been using it as a jack handle for the last 50 years. The stock was cracked in several places. I would have been interested in it had it been in a bit better shape. Over all it was a shame that it was not taken care of.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Mold
    I found your post on a google search and had to register. I'm familiar with Tommy Hobbs and his rifles. You should have a well built, accurate rifle. Congratulations.
    I'm glad I found this site and will be sure to frequent it.

Boolit Master

congrats on the new toy.Bet your gonna be pleased with it.

I was shooting my .40 flint gun yesterday.I use .395 ball with pocket drill patch.Either 60 grs of ff goex,or 55 grs of fff goex,is my accuracy load.Either load does about 1875 f.p.s.,and easily shoots an inch or under@ 50 yards.Think the ff load is slightly more accurate.

She'd spy it right off grubbing around for her infernal thirty round clips.

Please let us know what the rate of twist is and how it performs.

Boolit Master
    I think its a darn nice look'en rifle. Mr. Hobbs sure did a nice job inletting its stock. 40 cal. to boot. I don't see how you could go wrong at $250.00. Congratulations hornady308 you got yourself a fine rifle there.

Where do you find these deals for $250. bucks?
    :“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Boolit Master
    Your scope blocks look to be the type used with the old style external adjustment scopes like the Lyman Targetspot. If the centers of the blocks are around 7.2" apart, such a scope should give you 1/4 MOA per click.

Boolit Buddy
    Beautiful rifle and a good deal ,probably shoots as good as it looks. This is why we go to gun shops

Boolit Buddy
    Really nice workmanship. I also shoot the 40 cal and prefer it. 60 grains of ff and a spit patched .400 ball does what I want. I shoot paper at my club twice a month and my gun won the "Top Overall Muzzleloader" last year and is still in the lead for this year.
    The .400 ball with 2 to 3 time washed pillow ticking fits real tight and probably squishes the ball a little to a conical shape but it was a trick from my buddy thats a long time "Blackpowder Shooter". Weigh your balls and separate them into groups that vary no more than a couple of 10ths of a grain will really help your accuracy.
    Good luck, Kcajeel

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    That's rather shallow rifling for a supposed round ball gun I would have thought. My Colerain barrels slug .400/.424
    It'll shoot Jeff, believe me! A lady beat me out in a tie shoot-off with one. He sold a conical mould to go with those too but don't hear much about those. Am looking for one as I have a .40 rifle I'd like to try one in.

Perm-Banned
    that gun is woth 3 or 4 times that. its a good one

Quote Originally Posted by AR-15 Cowboy View Post
    Where do you find these deals for $250. bucks?
    I second the question ... I never have found my 200 dollar rifle that is indeed worth 1000 dollars.

someday maybe ... ~ ... ~