WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Reloaders & Glock are like Oil & Water??

Boolit Man

Reloaders & Glock are like Oil & Water??

Been wanting to get one of those tactical tupperware from Glock (34).

But I'm afraid of blowing one up like in Dean Spier's Kaboom stories with glock and lead bullets.

Has Glock solved the issues of firing lead bullets and kaboom?

What precautions does a reloader take with reloading with lead for Glocks?

I am just poor rabid reloader and a bullet caster and can't afford those jacketed bullets or an aftermarket barrel for the glock just to shoot lead in them.

So what do you think guys, should I forget my glock dreams and just buy an XD?

Thanks for any reply....

Love Life
    In the wheelguns, pistols, and handcannons sub forum there is a sticky that covers your questions nicely. I have shot nothing but cast from my Glock 26 and 17 (that is before the boating accident) for years.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I shoot a Glock 20 (10MM) and just to be safe bought a Lone Wolf barrel. They are a bargain for the money and LW stands behind them. Cheap enough and you can shoot cast all day long with no worrys,(IDPA?)
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    Yup- what he said, great insurance.

Now that's some firepower SG!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Buddy
    I'm up to 200 rounds of cast through my Glock 21's stock polygonal barrel with no cleaning and zero leading. I'm going to keep running lead through it without cleaning just as an experiment to see how many cast Boolits it takes before leading occurs.

I did slug my barrel beforehand which told me I need to run my Boolits through a .453 sizing die. If you slug and size accordingly you'll likely have little to worry about.

Boolit Buddy
    Reloaders and Glock are like Oil and Water?

Not at all. I've loaded for my Glocks for over twenty years, mostly cast. Right now isn't a real good time to look for a 34 though. 9mm Glocks are in big demand.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 7Acres View Post
    I'm up to 200 rounds of cast through my Glock 21's stock polygonal barrel with no cleaning and zero leading. I'm going to keep running lead through it without cleaning just as an experiment to see how many cast Boolits it takes before leading occurs.

I did slug my barrel beforehand which told me I need to run my Boolits through a .453 sizing die. If you slug and size accordingly you'll likely have little to worry about.
    Hi,
    I believe what you say! The problem is consistancy! There seems to be to much variation with this issue. I cast boolits from WW material and not the hard cast stuff so for $100 I get piece of mind and I'm not checking the barrel half way through a session to see if I'm still safe? Everyone is different and get different results! About the Glock G20-You betcha!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    I use a LW ported barrel in my glock 36. I have shot this combo with lead bullets a few thousand times.. I think the ported barrel on sale was $90.

Banned

storm lake barrels also, From above, sounds like ya can shoot lead thru poly barrel. Lead is cooler and less harm to barrels.

Boolit Buddy
    I reloaded and shot cast boolits in my Glock 21 for 20 years. I used to poo-poo the idea that I would have a a problem at 45 ACP pressure levels. I'd get some lead, but nothing to amount to much and was it easily removed especially after I found Choir Boy. Accuracy was very good too.

Then it happened and my Glock 21 deconstructed right in my hands and face. Split the polymer frame into two pieces in my hands with pieces flying out. It shattered the trigger into shards of polymer. Blew the magazine out and bottom off. Brass in my face with blood. Fortunately my glasses saved my eyes. Hands felt trauma like they were in an explosion. Fortunately all fingers were still there and no meat blown free from my hands. Just sooted. but man did that hurt.

But it was NOT the lead boolits that caused it. It was the unsupported area of the chamber. I have since removed the cartridge case, a WWC. I used that brand for 20 years and just stuck with it. The case clearly shows it suffered a catastrophic case failure right at that unsupported area of the chamber. All that pressure came out that little hole that ruptured in the case.

The barrel is fine. The slide in fine. I don't think there was one thing wrong with my load. I believe I finally got a bad case and the weak spot just happened to line up with the with the unsupported area of the chamber. That case showed signs of my reloading it at least twice before.

Now I finally know why Glock says ''do not use reloaded ammunition''.

I will have my Glock rebuilt, but I will never fire another reloaded cartridge, cast boolit or metallac jacketed bullet down the stock Glock barrel. I will install a KKM barrel or other fully supported chamber aftermarket barrel. I don't think it has anything to do with the polygonal rifling either.

With the 40's and 9mm's increased pressure may exacerbate the situation, but I've proven to my self in a very stupid and painful way that Glock has good reason to recommend against the use of reloaded ammuniton. With the stock Glock barrel in place I now fully concur......Mike

With a KKM barrel in my Glock I believe my pistol and I may once again spend pleasurable afternoons together at the range.

I'd recommend a barrel swap to anyone using reloads in any Glock pistol. The problem I had was no pleasant high-light in my life.........Mike

Boolit Master

Dean Speir is an idiot and like 90% of advertising-sponsered "gun writers" knows nothing of casting.

Welcome to the site by the way.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    Wish I could openly conceal two pistols that well. It took me a good 2 minutes to even notice her hands and what they held.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2064979

I have read hundreds of post about the Glock and leading / pressure issues and I believe as a few others do that the real issue is not leading or reloads but rather a pistol which will fire out of battery / lock.

Going further , nowsuppose that one is firing lead bootlits and they happen to be of a profile other than RN and are seated out far enough to engage the rifiling before full lockup is obtained?

Others have suggest that lead / no jacketed are worse about being set back which increashed pressure. In my experience jacketed are more likely to push back than lead unless the kead is soft or a design which causes them to stick to the feed ramp.

I started shooting nothing but hard cast SWC s in both 45APC and Browning HP back in the seventies. With those pistol it took a great deal of gunsmithing to obtain 99.8% depenability. In all that practice rounds, IPSC,mPPC,Steel Plate ,Bowling Pin matches I shoot in over around a 5 year period I never had a FEF or FTE with the BHP after tuning and I only had a very few with the Colt 45 1911 and those wer mostly FEF due to magazines used in to many bad weather matches and not wanting to get my expensive ones grity,scratched up etc . plus shooting with brass tha was worn out. I was cheap and did not want to use really good brass to be lost in the mud.

Wining a match never meant that much to me as I pertisapated for the practice, fun and fellowship it provided not for the Trophies.
    Last edited by Case Stuffer; 02-19-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Master
    I've had a G22 for about a year and have both the Lone Wolf 40 SW and 9MM barrels for it. Both rounds shoot beautifully to the same point of aim and 100% reliable. Never have a hint of leading in either barrel and continue to be amazed. Saving for a G21 after the current dust settles.

Boolit Master

I have a G36 with the factory stock barrel. It loves lead. Size to .452 and let 'er rip!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a Stormlake drop in barrel for my Glock 34. It was not that expensive compared to a Kaboom, of which I have seen three with lead shooting Glocks. I have more than paid for the barrel with the money I have saved shooting my own cast boolits compared to the price for the J word bullets. I shoot IPSC so I shoot enough to make it worth while.