Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Making 45acp shotshells (My Way)

Boolit Buddy
    I just ordered some Brass From Matt {Grumpa} He has a good product. All the brass i have ever gotten from him was top notch so I know these will be too.
    I have on hand WW231 and Unique bag of AA410 wads and 25 pounds of chilled #9. And will hev his brass in hand.
    So questions I have are since his are ready to load and fool proof:
    1] 1st would be PUT powder in a case so.
    What was the best Powder and powder load?
    2} Can the 410 wads just go in over the powder? Or not fit in the formed case as neck would be to small?
    3} Can I use 35 cal copper Hornady checks? I see others say use .375" ones. As i have 3500 of them in the old metal tins. Or buy .375 ones.
    {ie} Toss powder in, press down wad with dowel, toss in shot, place 35 cal check and crimp {round} Brass?
    I have 2 35 year old CCI ones to compare to

Boolit Buddy
    Just looked at the CCI factory ones and looks like the 35cal checks would fit inside them well. They are on the outside .360" on the old tins can ones and .362" on the new boxed crimp on ones. So unless someone says ya should really use the 375 cal ones i am using the 35 cal ones.
    Was going to set the crimp die by screwing the 45aco one down with ram all the way up and screwing the die down on the CCI Case to get same crimp.

Boolit Buddy

(1) WW231
    (2) You will need to clip the wings (petals) I put them in a standard 45 ACP case and trim flush with the case mouth.
    (3) I've had good results with the tin can 35 cal.
    (4) From your next post, I use the 45 round nose seater plug to close the check in place.

Could never get them to cycle in a compact no matter how good a grip,but work flawless in full size Gov. and the boys Springfield.
    Quote Originally Posted by 340six View Post
    I just ordered some Brass From Matt {Grumpa} He has a good product. All the brass i have ever gotten from him was top notch so I know these will be too.
    I have on hand WW231 and Unique bag of AA410 wads and 25 pounds of chilled #9. And will hev his brass in hand.
    So questions I have are since his are ready to load and fool proof:
    1] 1st would be PUT powder in a case so.
    What was the best Powder and powder load?
    2} Can the 410 wads just go in over the powder? Or not fit in the formed case as neck would be to small?
    3} Can I use 35 cal copper Hornady checks? I see others say use .375" ones. As i have 3500 of them in the old metal tins. Or buy .375 ones.
    {ie} Toss powder in, press down wad with dowel, toss in shot, place 35 cal check and crimp {round} Brass?
    I have 2 35 year old CCI ones to compare to
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

I wonder... I've got a 400 corbon form die, think that would work, size a 308 then trim to length?

In Remembrance
    When I make them I trim (On Lathe) to 1.200 and then form the brass, that's for customers. When I make my own I still machine them to length but I add the primer then powder then my overpowder wad, then I form.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

400 corbon didn't work. Sized it too small for wad

I am trying to find a trim die and all of the sources I checked are out of the product. Anyone know where one is available?
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Quote Originally Posted by hicard View Post
    I am trying to find a trim die and all of the sources I checked are out of the product. Anyone know where one is available?
    If you're handy, a trim die can be made from a 308 die and a die grinder with a cutoff wheel. Trim the die to 1.210" less the height of the shell holder. If you make a crooked cut, just square it up with a bench grinder by carefully rotating on the side of the wheel. Done carefully and constantly cooling with water, you'll have a die just as good as a factory die. I have made a few trim dies for friends and they've had zero problems. This, of course, is just my 2˘.....
    Your Feedback is appreciated
    Johnny V
    NRA Benefactor
    Member OGCA & GOA
    CCW OH & PA

Boolit Mold

Trim the easy way

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_V View Post
    If you're handy, a trim die can be made from a 308 die and a die grinder with a cutoff wheel. Trim the die to 1.210" less the height of the shell holder. If you make a crooked cut, just square it up with a bench grinder by carefully rotating on the side of the wheel. Done carefully and constantly cooling with water, you'll have a die just as good as a factory die. I have made a few trim dies for friends and they've had zero problems. This, of course, is just my 2˘.....
    I tried several ways to trim the cases and today I found that a 308 case will fit in a copper tube flareing tool in the 1/2 inch hole. Just measure your brass clamp it in use a vice to hold it take a hack saw cut the cut the brass. I cut mine 1.200. Worked great.

I used .410 shot cups that were cut off with to fit the case, don’t remember the brand. Used over shot wads madefrom chest X-ray negatives and a drop of nail polish to seal. The shot cups were Remington. The instructions that came with the RCBS die set said to use Remington’s the others don’t work well.
    Elmo
    Last edited by Elmo; 10-27-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    All times wasted wots not spent shootin!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have one of the old RCBS die sets setups (both the trim and the 3-die sets) - Bought that in 1980 or so; It's eaten a LOT of 308 and 30-06 and 8mm Mauser, 257 Roberts, etc. brass over the years, anything I got that had cracked necks became shotshells.

I know where the dies are and got 100 rounds of fired 308 so I need to deprime / clean / reprime it all and then figure out where my shot and SP410 wads are hiding, or buy more; Then I'll load the first 100. I probably will get to 200 rounds of that, that lasts me a LONG time, handy round.

I just want them to kill snakes/etc. within 10 feet; The basic idea on them is to be able to shoot a snake that's ON your boots without putting shot into your foot, so overpenetration's not too good an idea there. I've usually been able to put ~5 rounds in the magazine and 1 up the spout and get all 6 rounds to feed automatically in a very short time; News to me that some mags let you use a full mag, Interesting!

I've never annealed my brass, it works OK without it, I figure it's a second life for the brass, it's going to eventually become donor brass - so I plan to take up brass casting

Great right up, I need to give this a try.

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Banned
    Reviving the thread.

Reading another thread about a lucky fellow being able to purchase a set of RCBS shot shell dies prompted me to try to make some shot shells as ample ammunition against the rattlesnake that seem to roam the area where I live. Just outside of town and yet technically don't really know. Anyway my block of a sparcely developed area has one home on it...mine and across the street its desert and on the other side of my wall its unsettled. Rattlesnakes seem to love my front yard for some reason seeking refuge behind a bush near the garage. Anyway one month in to purchasing the house I am blasting away a green Mojove Rattlesnake that stood it ground next to the bush I was trying to water. Yelled to the wife to grab my gun. Which one she answered. I pondered for a moment and answered a 22. Are you sure you don't want your 1911 she answered. Anyway several minutes has passed the snake stood its ground and I was backing slowly away with the snake in pursuit. The wife carefully handed me a colt Woodsman match target I chambered a round and shot the snake in the head it rolled over and expired and I gave it several more shots just to make sure it was down.

Neighbors came up and took pictures as I walked across the street with the dead snake. I set it down and started to dig a hole several feet deep cut the snakes head off and buried it and left the rest of the snake as a delicious dinner for the rest of the creatures near by. Several days passed and I walked across the street to check on the snake and something had torn its belly open and there were a number of white sacks inside it.

Anyway most of the neighbors were happy that I promptly took matters into hand with only one guy telling me I should have just carried the live snake across the street and let it go. I answered with they don't make a spade with a long enough handle for me to carry a live snake across the street. Anyway the neighbors now kinda calmed down have decided that having me kill the snakes when I see them is a better option than having their kids getting bit by one.

This all brings me to the matter of shot shells and the way Mr. Grumpa came across with a novel way of doing it his way. Prompted by lacking a set of 41 mag dies I was told about this thread and decided to do it his way. Using what I happen to have at home I managed to cut down some 308 brass by putting a small c-clamp on the back of my 300 blackout cutting jig. Don't do this by the way because you could loose a didget or two in the process. Once cut and de burred I went to the 40 cal die I had put into the Lyman -T-mag press and started to neck down the casings after applying a lite application of lube. Necked them to achieve a .250 long shoulder on the brass.

Wads were made using a sharpened 40 cal empty shell casing and some cardboard I happened to have. Waiting for my lead shot to arrive so I ventured into how to properly seat a wad into the shell casing as a practice operation. Happened to have a left over RF female to female connector that I chucked up in the drill press and dressed down with a file to obtain about .003-.005 clearance. Placing the wad over the top of the casing and running the drill press depth down slowly I found that it seats rather nicely. Finished seating of the wad over the powder can be accomplished by inserting the shank of a 23/64 drill bit and applying pressure until the wad stops. Once this is done the shot which I don't have yet can be loaded into the shell and covered with yet another wad the neck slightly roll crimped or taper crimped and a dab of nail polish added on the top of the wad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010008.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	255146 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010007.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	255147 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010012.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	255148 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010010.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	255149

I forgot to mention to use a 45acp bullet seating die (for 230 gr RN) to make the roll over on the top of the casing once the top wad is in.

One could probably skip the step of using a RF connector in the drill press to push the wad into the shot shell case by the simple use of the 23/64 drill bit instead. One could probably chuck the drill in the opposite direction and use the shank end to push the wad.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 01-22-2020 at 09:09 AM.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for re-posting. How did you sharpen the 40 Cal shell?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DDRanch View Post
    Thanks for re-posting. How did you sharpen the 40 Cal shell?
    Since I don't have a lathe the only thing available to me was my Hornady deburring setup so I simply deburred the inside and outside of the case neck to obtain a knife like edge. It ended up sharp enough to cut thru some rather thick cardboard with decent results.

To aid in wad removal from the case I drilled out the primer flash hole large enough to insert a small drill bit in order to push the wads out of the 40 caliber shell casing.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 01-22-2020 at 10:50 AM.

Boolit Man
    6bg6ga Thanks

Banned
    No problem. Just trying to continue what Grumpa started. Me reading this thread is a result of not having a 41 caliber full length resizing die and not wanting to purchase one simply to make 50 or so shot shells. Reading this thread made me look at what I happened to have on hand and I had a set of 40cal/10mm reloading dies which haven't been used for several years since I parted with the 40 cal and 10mm that I had owned.

What I have learned so far.... case length needs to be no more than 1.200 in my opinion based on the fact that I cannot load empty shot shells into my 1911 magazines. I can get one in and then the neck hits the magazine. Using the 45acp bullet seating die for 230 RN rolls the case over enough to shorten it slightly and provides the needed re-leaf so the shell don't hit/bind on the magazine.

Empty rolled mouth shell feeding and ejection was possible and the length at 1.200 +0 -.010 seems to work well on my S&W 1911 as well as my Springfield Range Master and officer models. Corrected my length sizes and re-measured to be certain. Roll crimped empties of 1.190 feel well and should cycle well. The magazine can be loaded to capacity with this length. A quick check of relation of the shell in the chamber shows to be the same as a loaded 230 gr RN in my 1911.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1220013.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	255188
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 01-22-2020 at 10:51 AM.

Boolit Master

I have enjoyed revisiting this older thread on making 45acp shot shells from 308 brass. I made a bunch a long time ago and did some testing and shooting with them. I need to reacquaint myself with this process as it was a lot of fun and practical too. You mentioned using them in an Officer's model. I didn't try them in my Colt Officer's 45 acp. The recoil spring on my Officer's is pretty stout. I was wondering if your loads would cycle the heavy spring like is on my Officer's ACP? Additional question concerns the load using WW231. I checked my loading log and it was April and May of 2013 when I last worked with this 45 acp shotshell! No wonder I feel old. It is amazing how time flies. My info says I used about 80 grains of shot and a load of 6.1 of 231. So if you would share if that load seems in the ball park of what you are using. Thanks for bringing this to the top once again.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    My data shows starting load of 6.0 Gr. of 231, max of 6.2 Gr., with 103 Gr. shot - so 6.1 Gr. seems good.

Other load data I've seen,
    700X 4.5 Gr.
    Bullseye 6.0 Gr.
    Unique 6.0 Gr.
    All with 103-105 Gr. shot

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    I have enjoyed revisiting this older thread on making 45acp shot shells from 308 brass. I made a bunch a long time ago and did some testing and shooting with them. I need to reacquaint myself with this process as it was a lot of fun and practical too. You mentioned using them in an Officer's model. I didn't try them in my Colt Officer's 45 acp. The recoil spring on my Officer's is pretty stout. I was wondering if your loads would cycle the heavy spring like is on my Officer's ACP? Additional question concerns the load using WW231. I checked my loading log and it was April and May of 2013 when I last worked with this 45 acp shotshell! No wonder I feel old. It is amazing how time flies. My info says I used about 80 grains of shot and a load of 6.1 of 231. So if you would share if that load seems in the ball park of what you are using. Thanks for bringing this to the top once again.
    I should have clarified my post a little better. I wasn't meaning the use of the shot shell in the Colt Officers 3.5" barreled 1911. The recoil spring is very strong at 22-24lbs range instead of the standard 16lb in a 5" model.

The data I have says 100 gr of shot with 6gr of 231 which would agree with Mr Sheesh's post. His data is correct and can be relied on. I would not venture above what he has posted in the name of safety.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast