MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Making 45acp shotshells (My Way)

Newbie question...how does the shot fair against the riflings? Should a person be worried about any damage/risks?

Quote Originally Posted by Diver07 View Post
    Newbie question...how does the shot fair against the riflings? Should a person be worried about any damage/risks?
    Not to worry. Shot is softer than most jacketed bullets, plus if you use the shotcup method, you have an additional layer of protection with the shotcup. Hope this helps....
    Your Feedback is appreciated
    Johnny V
    NRA Benefactor
    Member OGCA & GOA
    CCW OH & PA

Thanks for the info. Once I get my equipment back up and running Im going to try this....

Boolit Grand Master

This just became more than a project for me.
    For the second time this summer a large black snake appeared. This one attempted to crawl between the louvers to get onto my porch. It's totally sealed and except for the door there is no way he could get in, but both times it's happened at the time parents were picking up their preschool age children.
    I don't like snakes of any kind, and Yes I know all about how they catch rats and kill other snakes. Those 2 blacks are the only snakes I've seen here bouts in many years, and I'm determined they observe my boundaries, especially where these children play. There are no rodents, only squirrels, and birds which I feed for the enjoyment of the children.
    When I shoveled him off the brick he attempted to run directly toward me. Bad move because shovel handle distance is as far as he got.
    I will attempt to produce the brass for these snake killers this evening, and if I can find my 2-liter bottle of shot, by tomorrow evening I'll be armed with SNAKE shot........
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Blue Racers (also known as black racers), I have seen them chase after rabbits and people before. If you stop or maybe trip and fall they will stop chasing you but might have already paid for a trip to snake heaven at that point. At times more aggressive than other snakes that would prefer to just get out of sight. They can get pretty long too but not as thick as other snakes. I have seen 5 ft ones that are only about an inch in diameter.

They will eat stuff that is not larger than they are so baby birds might be on the menu.

They are not poisonous but generally not welcome around folks that don't like any snake.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dsbock View Post
    Attachment 152590
    5.5 grains of Bullseye under 190 grains of #8 shot.
    looks like what I make from 8X57 cases and shoot in a 1915 455 Ely conversion Smith N frame. I use 4.5 grains green dot under 200 grains 7.5 shot. 57 cases slip fit as cut to length and fire-form on first shot, but 06 cases won't fit the chambers. not enuf taper.

Boolit Master

justashooter, try sizing the cut off 06 brass in a 270 die or even a 243 Win, should put on the taper you need.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

I'm still having occasional problems with off center and uneven tapers, but i have several more die combos to try.
    Yesterday I became the benefactor of some more 308 brass to work with.
    Thanks, Coopaloop86. It will be put to good use.

Mold maker, are you trying to make cases for the 1911 or a revolver?
    Your Feedback is appreciated
    Johnny V
    NRA Benefactor
    Member OGCA & GOA
    CCW OH & PA

Everything worked so well for me using Grumpa's technique right up to the roll crimp then the case mouth crushed to one side. Just my first try so the problem is most likely some little thing I didn't do just right. I will say that the Speer capsules, when they are available, are a much easier, if more expensive way to make shot shells. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    Just a thought here. Anyone not using the shot cup technique and is worried about leading issues, why not T/L the shot with Ben's LL prior to loading ? I know it may be overkill ,or seen as unnecessary step ,but it will provide additional protection. Works on T/L type pistol bullets, figure it may help in this application. Just my 2 cents. By the way thanks for the wealth of info,& now my overwhelming need to try this. - CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Master

.410 shotshell wads work real well.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_V View Post
    Mold maker, are you trying to make cases for the 1911 or a revolver?
    1911 for the time being.
    Do you have any incite?

Boolit Grand Master

Today I received a care package for this project in the form of a MFRB full of primed 308 blank brass. Many thanks to the provider. That's going to be a lifetime supply of snake and rat killers. I also have a supply of 410 shot wads, and about 12 lbs of #9 shot.
    I have solved most of the problems I first encountered with off centered necks and am well on my way.

45 shot load

Leading with #9 shot out of a squib load, gotta be kidding me. run some jacketed stuff through there and all should be well.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I have solved most of the problems I first encountered with off centered necks and am well on my way.
    Mold Maker,

I'm still getting the occasional off centered neck. Would you share your process for resolving this issue?

Thanks.

David
    Cats are fun and magical when you can't smell their poop! Fresh Step!

JPFO; NCOWS; NRA (Life); NYSRPA (Life); SAF, SASS

I'm looking for a shooter grade Smith & Wesson Victory model in .38 Special.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Grumpa: This is the type of stuff that sets Castboolits apart from most all of the websites out there.

Most people would never even think of doing this.

Great job!

Randy
    Or explaining it in detail so others could copy.
    In other fields they would only sell such info.

Boolit Grand Master

Success with the 45 ACP shot shells has encouraged me to expand the calibers.
    What available cases would be donors for 45 LC. A friend has only one gun, but lots of targets.
    Would some thin poly strip work as sleeves to avoid leading?

In Remembrance
    Success with the 45 ACP shot shells has encouraged me to expand the calibers.
    What available cases would be donors for 45 LC. A friend has only one gun, but lots of targets.
    Would some thin poly strip work as sleeves to avoid leading?
    For the 45 LC I'll be using the 460 brass as outlined in a previous thread. About the only thing I would do in your case would be to use 1gr of Dacron over the powder, insert a trimmed to length 410 wad, fill with shot, and either an over shot card or use a notching die for the crimp.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

In Remembrance
    Or explaining it in detail so others could copy.
    In other fields they would only sell such info.
    $ to me only gets a person what he wants. If said person has what he wants then what good is $?
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast