Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Lee 358-140-SWC in 9mm?

Boolit Man

Lee 358-140-SWC in 9mm?

Has anyone experimented with this combination? I've searched the archive and found a few people who mentioned it - but I'm still looking for some more concrete information. I've loaded a few dummy rounds but have to set the bullet VERY deep to get it to chamber in my Lone Wolf barrel for the Glock 19.

So, if you have loaded this, I'd appreciate hearing your results including OAL and power charge.

Thanks,
    pastorcurtis

Boolit Master
    First let me say that I have not loaded this combination.

That said, there's a commercial jacketed 147-grain load. It *may* be a subsonic round; I'm not sure. But it seems to indicate that a 140-grain cast (probably sized to .356) should work. Depending on how much space is taken up inside the case by the bullet, you would want to be cautious about your starting charge of powder. I'd suggest seeing if the Lyman manuals have information about heavier cast bullets in the 9mm.

Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

It would depend on the gun. The swc may not cycle well in all simi autos. That said I have been thinking of trying a swc in some 9's not to mention this year I plan to get my wife and I matching 38's for our anniversary so it would not be a wasted purchase. I like using the .358 molds as poly guns (glock, h&k) tend to need a bigger boolit.

Boolit Master
    I have shot thousands of Lyman 135 gr. SWC 38 hard cast sized to .357 in a Browning High Power years ago. I throated it so I could seat the forward band out .060 to keep pressure down using the same load I used for 125 gr. LRN 4.8 grains WW231.

I also loaded some seated deeper and used a reduced load of 4.4 grains of WW231.

I now have a XD Sub Compact and have shot a couple of hundred rounds with the SWC seated with forward band 0.020 out , 4.8 grains WW231 and they are a bit warm but no high pressure signs except for flattened Federal SP primers. CCI SP primers show no signs of flattening. I thing I love about the XD is that the barrel lines up with trounds in the mag. a lot better than the Browning did so no gun smithing has been required to get it to feed everything I have tried.

I have allways measured the total bullet length ,total length of striaght section ,case length and done the math to calculate depth of bullet in the case and adjusted power charge accordingly.

Update:
    Correction I had to go down to my shop so checked and 135SWC mold is a Lyman #142 . Boolite length is .578 and OAL length is 1.010 and again XP 9 Sub Compact handles these just fine however that is a lot of lead down in the case , 0.320" give or take..Charge 4.8 gr. WW231
    Last edited by Case Stuffer; 02-21-2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: corrected mold type and added data.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Have some .357 147 g on way to try. Will let you know how they shoot

Sweet.

Boolit Grand Master
    They don't feed reliably for me.
    I ordered it originally for the 9mm but use it in the .38 special as well.
    If I ever get an aftermarket barrel, I my have it tweaked. That boolit is about as heavy as I would go for the 9mm, but the LEE 105 would be sweet.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin