WidenersRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 32 H&R Mag for piggies

Boolit Master

Jared
    I think what most are saying is that a poorly placed shot on a pig is not a good idea. I have never seen small pigs running with no large hog around again not a good thing to come up on if you don't have enough gun. Me I would use a larger caliber than the one being discussed here, why because I like to anchor what I am shooting and sometimes things just don't go as well as you thought they would. Does that mean that I wouldn't try shooting pigs with a smaller caliber nope just that I would have a backup rifle with enough knock down power to make sure they stayed down.

I have been charged by a buck when hunting them and don't let anyone tell you they die easily all the time, everything we can hunt can turn the tables on us at anytime it is just how life works.

You guys have fun with your pigs and get rid of all of them you can. I have been on a pig farm when the sows have little ones and I can tell you this they are not in a friendly mood and if you pick up one of the little ones more than one sow will be there right quick to see what is going on and if they need to get rid of the nuance.

Have fun, but at all times be safe
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Bub
    I have seen hogs take an amazing amount of punishment and still be on their feet. A bad shot with any caliber won't do much good. My favorite hog gun is a 45-70 with 405s at 1800-2000 FPS. I have killed them with a bunch of calibers from .22 LR to .500 Linebaugh.

A .32 magnum isn't hog gun but will kill them with a good shot. I am sure I will kill one with a .32 at some point because it is one of my favorite calibers and one is usually around.

Hogs like most wild animals can be dangerous, but I always have to laugh a little with some of the stories. If they were half as bad as I hear, my sons would never be allowed to leave the house.

Boolit Master
    Dad killed many years ago at butcher time with a 22 short. Hunting a moving animal is a whole 'nuther thing....

Hogs aren't stupid. Now whether they are courageous or.... scared and running away in your direction I don't know.... But if a big one gets you on the ground and has time......well...it won't be good...

A friend was hunting down south with a model 29. A big hog ran at him on the trail they both were using. When the hog finally laid down, Jerry could touch it's nose with his boot...standing there shaking with an empty gun...

If I owned a 32 Mag I would certainly use it, shot placement is the key to anchoring any critter hell bent on taste testing you. I would be forced to use my 41 Mag as that is what I have, along with the 22LR. All we use to slaughter the baconators here in Iowa.
    Charlie

Boolit Master
    We all know that Eskimos's use to think the 22 Hornet was ideal for hunting Polar Bear, we also know that some of those Eskimos's didn't come home. We all know of a guide in Alaska that recently killed a large Brown Bear with a 9mm to keep it from eating his 2 clients. So it's obvious that the 32 Magnum will kill a 150 lb. feral hog. If that's what you choose to hunt with, use it, most will choose to use something a little more in line with the animal they are hunting but there's always some one who chooses to play by different rules just to say it can be done. I watched one of these posts go on for weeks one time & one guy said he knew of Elephants that had been taken with a 22 rim fire........

Dick

Perma-Banned
    Sure it can be done! But there are definitely better choices! I did part time work slaughtering beef and hogs, all we used was a .22 Magnum, pretty amazing to watch a 1500 pound beef collapse immediately when bumped between the runnin lights with the little .22 Magnum. As far as hog hunting from any distance to speak of i would choose a different weapon

Boolit Master
    Knew a gentleman years ago that started hunting hogs in Fl back in about 1899/1900 when he was 12 yrs old.After his first encounter with one using a 44-40 he started using his fathers Winchester in 45-70.He said he never regretted the upgrade.With a slight grin he said use anything smaller,and you might just come home in a pine box.This was about 1960.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy
    I've euthanized hogs with a .22LR.

That said this this was a sick or dying hog that wasn't feral with no fear of man.

Hogs are tough, dang tough, and they will eat you if they don't have any fear of you. I doubt that a feral hog fears a wolf, let alone a hairless ape.

I would use a .32 H&R for putting down hogs in a trap. To kill feral hogs with a chance of them getting to me? Not a chance.

Perma-Banned
    My Dad butcherd LOTS N LOTS of Hogs, from little to 500+ pounders, no matter the size it only took 1 shot with the little .22 Magnum, The ONLY time i ever heard of my Dad not using the .22 Magnum was on a really LARGE bull Buffalo, this guy was a true TON 2000lb animal, His head was easily the size of the Cab of my Toyota Tacoma! My dad set up on this Bull with him broadside and shot him through the side of the head with his .300 Wn Mag and a 180 Grain Barnes X Bullet, The BIG bull dropped straight to his belly and never even kicked! Had to hook on him and pull him over to his side to work on him. The little .22 Magnum would probably have worked here also, but no reason to chance a possible bad situation.

Again, Your .32 will kill hogs no problem if you hit them perfect everytime. Personally i would use a rifle, a lever .30-30 would make a GREAT little Hog rifle! .223 etc. etc.
    Last edited by 54bore; 03-08-2017 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redd508 View Post
    Can it be loaded up enough to cleanly take medium sized hogs? Lets say up to 150 lbs at handgun ranges. Has anyone done it?
    Sounds like a pretty good way to get your a** handed to you.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    sounds like a pretty good way to get your a** handed to you.
    lol! ^^^

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    Sounds like a pretty good way to get your a** handed to you.
    If your stalking skills, shooting skills, and self-discipline aren't up to par, the above is absolutely correct. Then again, a bad hit with a .50 BMG is still a bad hit. So caliber is secondary to other aspects of hunting.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    Then again, a bad hit with a .50 BMG is still a bad hit. So caliber is secondary to other aspects of hunting.
    Very well said!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345