Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 32 H&R Mag for piggies

Boolit Master

JMHO, but you'd be just as well served bringing a toothpick & wet-nap....the hog will appreciate you providing him with after dinner clean up supplies. Or ya could take up grizzly hunting with a fly swatter, it's pretty sporty for a couple minutes.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Master

Any one ever read "Old Yeller"?

Up close, Wild Hogs are BAD A**. Been so far longer than posters on this or any other site have lived. Think of the pucker factor of taking Feral Hogs with a single shot black powder rifle while busting through brush, particularly if you run into a pack of Feral Hogs.

Caliber? Go big or risk: "Don't go home".

Mustang

PS as a youngster we raised some pretty big Hogs, I learned never to be complacent around porkers.

Boolit Buddy
    All valid points. I did specify "at handgun ranges". What about dispatching pork in traps? You pick the shot at close range. Is penetration adequate. We dont chase pigs much in the marshes of south Louisiana. Trapping is more effective. I'm a firm believer in use enough gun. Im just trying to find out what are the upper limits of the 32 mag drawing from those that have been there/done that. What can i realistically hunt with it? 22 covers rabbits and tree rats. 44 & 45 for deer. As much as i enjoy shooting paper I like to have a utilitarian use for my toys.

Boolit Master
    Redd
    I agree with that. Back when Ruger was making the 32 I wanted one but couldn't figure out what I'd use it for. When they stopped making it of course I had to have one then. My favorite load is the Lyman 31108 at 115 gr going 750 fps. I wouldn't hesitate to put one of these in a hogs ear.
    Yes I know I can load a heavier load but I can shoot this without earplugs and it's extremely accurate.
    Seems my game choices in MO are squirrel or rabbit, then it's coyotes or deer. My 22 is fine on the small stuff and I like a 44 or 45 for the bigger stuff.
    I did shoot a grouse in CO this year with the 32. Worked fine but most of my grouse are shot with my 45 because that's usually what I have on me.
    I feel pretty confident in my loads penetration ability and it's placement ability under ideal conditions.
    When hunting I never seem to get ideal conditions.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Wolfer
    How much heavier can the 32 mag be pushed? Most of the data I've found is +/- 100 grain bullets. Thats about where i wanna be. I hav big magnums if that what i wanna shoot. Does this cartridge have a sweet spot or is it dependent upon the delivery system?

Boolit Master
    I don't really know. I'm shooting unique, I think 3.5 gr. not home right now so can't look it up. This was where I started and as I went up in velocity accuracy went down slightly. It also got pretty noisy. This is a fixed sight gun and the first load shot right to the sights. I usually build the sights to the load I want to shoot. I consider this a small game gun so power wasn't as important as accuracy
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Buddy
    It may just be relegated to general woods gun and critters of opportunity. I'm ok with that I guess. The main thing will be to find an agreeable load and my max effective range with it.

Boolit Master
    Heck, real close or in a trap? Oh yeah, no problem. Target of opportunity? Yep. If that is what I have and I see one, I will do my best to make it humane, but I wont miss an opportunity to kill one. But you are also talking to the guy that drowned one because I ran out of ammo that day. The cartrige is not aneimic, my aim is. And that is what I need to compensate for. Get you a good knife for a backup and go have fun. That is what it is all about. Enjoy!
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Grand Master
    Overall, I've had better accuracy from my 32 Mag (S&W Model 16-4 x 6") with 95-105 grain boolits than with 115-120 grain boolits, but the heavier castings still shoot acceptably well. The RCBS 98 SWC has become its go-to boolit for most uses, and is VERY accurate from 700-1200 FPS. Once past 900 FPS, all loads get LOUD AS H--L, even in the longer 6" barrel.

I also use the gas-checked SWC from Lyman, #313631. Its accuracy at 900-950 FPS was disappointing, but prompt it past 1100 FPS and it starts to act correctly. I have run this boolit to 1400 FPS with fuels like WC-820, 2400, and WW-296. Brass extracts easily (both Federal and Starline), and primer pockets remain snug after 5-6 such loadings. I would not try such loads in NEF/H&R revolvers, but the K-frame S&W handles them well--I suspect the Rugers would as well.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    All thing being equal i would assume that the swc would be a more effective critter gitter than a round nose at the same velocity. That gives me some direction. Now to find the right mold.

Boolit Master

I might use it-

from a tree stand,

but NOT standing on the ground!
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a great fan of my own .32 mag loads, but I wouldn't intentionally go after hogs with 'em. Rapidity of incapacitation can certainly turn into an issue! No "charging hog" stories, but the blasted things don't always drop or run away as you might expect. Maybe we need a thread on whether the .32 is an adequate whitetail gun.........

Boolit Buddy
    Redd, I load the Sierra 90 HP half jacket with Lil'Gun. I can't remember the charge right off, but it is above published data. I loaded until they got sticky then backed them off 3/10 grain. These are HOT and I would have no reserves about putting one in the ear of a trapped pig or one inside of about 30yds only If I were off the ground. These are fired from 2 Super Single Sixes and a 4" SP101. I would not try these from the little H&R pistol.

Way back when I loaded for my now ex wifes 32 mag. I loaded it with AA#9 under a 96gr cast boolit.
    It ran around 1,325 fps. Gun was a Ruger SP101. Bullets cast from what would be a non expanding 2:6 alloy BHN #15.
    That load will put a hole through a hog every time. My loads would of been hard on one of the old H&R revolvers.
    Only shot that revolver one time without ear protection. Big no no. That's the down side and why I'll stick with my 38 Specials even though they have less power.

Being a north louisiana boy, hog in a trap......22&up is good to go. Hog with GOOD dogs........long knife, duct tape or centerfire something. Hog under treestand.......whatever i happen to have on me. Hog on the ground........at least 38 158 swc. Spent a large chunk of time in the woods trapping etc with nothing but a 22 short in a revolver. No problems except loosing some critters to hogs appetite.
    Healing hurts. It is supposed to.

RED HORSE US Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by Olevern View Post
    super glue won't work on a series of evenly spaced, deep, bleeding gashes.
    If the hospital is far a person could bleed out before getting to help.
    Much of the range of feral swine (in Tx, especially) can be many miles from the nearest medical facility.

Getting down on the ground and hunting the hog, especially w/o dogs, who often unselfishly take the slash for their masters, is a serious enough enterprise to at least start out with adequate caliber.

Those who would persist in taking obviously underpowered centerfire or rimfire calibers, in my experience, will not be dissuaded.

Ergo my recommendation not to do it, but, if you are bent on being on the receiving end of a world of hurt, have at it.
    Ah jus' luvs folks who don't mince werds. Amen and plus 1. I've seem 'em killed with air rifles (not big pigs though), Ah don't plan on tryin' that neither.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Overall, I've had better accuracy from my 32 Mag (S&W Model 16-4 x 6") with 95-105 grain boolits than with 115-120 grain boolits, but the heavier castings still shoot acceptably well. The RCBS 98 SWC has become its go-to boolit for most uses, and is VERY accurate from 700-1200 FPS. Once past 900 FPS, all loads get LOUD AS H--L, even in the longer 6" barrel.

I also use the gas-checked SWC from Lyman, #313631. Its accuracy at 900-950 FPS was disappointing, but prompt it past 1100 FPS and it starts to act correctly. I have run this boolit to 1400 FPS with fuels like WC-820, 2400, and WW-296. Brass extracts easily (both Federal and Starline), and primer pockets remain snug after 5-6 such loadings. I would not try such loads in NEF/H&R revolvers, but the K-frame S&W handles them well--I suspect the Rugers would as well.
    NONE of this was meant to express or imply my approval of use of these loads on pigs or other game of that size & attitude. I DON'T. After seeing some of these critters locally over the years (effin' BIG), I like a rifle for such ventures a whole lot more than a handgun as primary armament. A Win 94 or Marlin 336 in 30/30 WCF more than suggests itself as a baseline.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

327 mag hot loaded can push .357 energy levels. I've seen guys here state their loads with 120 grain boolits up into the 1500 fps range. Even with that load to kick **** with, I'd go at least for a .357. The hole is everything, bigger, deeper holes kill betterer. So, I wouldn't mess around, I'd have a .44 or .45.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    Dunno why a .32 wouldn't work, but there would be a high standard for accuracy at play. It might over penetrate.

I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    Dunno why a .32 wouldn't work, but there would be a high standard for accuracy at play. It might over penetrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Olevern View Post
    super glue won't work on a series of evenly spaced, deep, bleeding gashes.
    If the hospital is far a person could bleed out before getting to help.
    Much of the range of feral swine (in Tx, especially) can be many miles from the nearest medical facility.

Getting down on the ground and hunting the hog, especially w/o dogs, who often unselfishly take the slash for their masters, is a serious enough enterprise to at least start out with adequate caliber.

Those who would persist in taking obviously underpowered centerfire or rimfire calibers, in my experience, will not be dissuaded.

Ergo my recommendation not to do it, but, if you are bent on being on the receiving end of a world of hurt, have at it.
    Like I said before....

BTW; nice contender rig; kin I hav it when them piggies get ya?
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast