MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Need suggestion for .40 S&W mold, probably aroun 180gn..

Boolit Mold

Need suggestion for .40 S&W mold, probably aroun 180gn..

Hi guys, I have on order a Lee 401-175-tc (or whatever the number is for 175 gn tc bullet) 6 cavity.

But it's on backorder and expected back in stock .... 4-30-2013 !!! What!

Well that sucks so....what are the alternatives for a good .40 S&W mold of about the same weight and profile?

When I search for such a thing, I get hits for the Lee mold, but it's out of stock everywhere.

Anyone have one they don't want anymore ?

Aside from the mold makers that are mainstream (and easily searchable) are there any mold makers here that have a good .40 mold?

I plan to shoot the bullets in USPSA, so a 180-ish bullet would be nice so I can make it really soft shooting (ie wimpy major power factor) for shooting paper.

Thanks guys!

Depends on how much you want to spend. If you are strapped for cash, your best bets are gonna be the swapping and selling section on this board or local online classifieds. Both are gonna be pretty much a crapshoot, due to the demand for all things reloading. If you have around 80-100+ I know Al at Night Owl Enterprises (NOE) has some 180 grn 40 cal molds in stock or Tom at Accurate Molds can cut one for you out of his catalog, or even custom design one for you. His turn around is around a week AFAIK. He can cut you one out of brass, aluminum, or iron. I haven't been fortunate enough to purchase an Accurate mold yet, but have only heard high praise from his customers here on the board. I have purchased 3 NOE molds and have been lucky enough to pick them up in person from Al and can tell you he is an awesome guy and great to deal with. I tend to drool over his machinery and talk his ear off whenever I go to visit, so for me it's an added treat. Can't go wrong with either one.

I have a NOE 180 grain 2 cavity hollow point mold that can cast hollow points or flat nose. It casts awesome bullets and is a pleasure to use. A big improvement over my lee 40 cal molds. I have all three 180tc, 180tl swc, and the 145 swc. All three can be a bit fiddly but the 145 gr is the most accurate out of my M&P 40. The NOE mold is the easiest to use and once it's up to temp it makes a pile of bullets in a hurry.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=231

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=40-175B-D.png

Accuratemolds.com
    Noebulletmolds.com

Hounddog
    Last edited by Hounddog; 02-20-2013 at 03:35 AM.

Boolit Master

I am using the Lee 180 TC in 6 cavity. Casts great and shoot well....dale

Boolit Master
    I see you found & signed up for my group buy mold. If you don't mind the wait and the price I suspect it will be the best option for your gaming needs. The reason being that my mold drops a heavier boolit. As I understand it, a popular method of achieving a power factor for the least amount of recoil is to use a heavy for caliber bullet.

I use the 5 cavity ,Accurate mould #200 G- 200 gr LFNPB boolit, shoots good in my G20 with a LWD 40 SW barrel.

Sean

Boolit Bub
    I use a lyman 175gr four cavity #401638 mold. Its very soft shooting out of my 6" limited gun and I like it for major power factor in USPSA.

Boolit Mold
    Oreo, yes I jumped onto the group buy for the Mihec mold. I will also check out some of the other options presented in this thread!

Thanks guys!

Boolit Mold
    I think for the Ballisticast price, I'll wait for the MiHec group buy, it looks to be a good "gamer" bullet as Oreo said. Thanks for the link though!