RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: Weatherby mark XXII rifle question

Weatherby mark XXII rifle question

Well yesterday a neighbor called to ask if I wanted to look at a rifle her late husband had. Of course I said I'd be right over, she directs me to the back bedroom and under the bed I spot a black leather case. I pull it out and unzip the case, a beautiful rifle is in my hands. I start to look it over and see Weatherby on the side with the XXII. I still not sure what I'm looking at until I pull the bolt back and see it's a 22LR. It is wearing a Leupold gold ring scope has 2-10rd & 1-5rd mag with it. I'm standing their looking this rifle over when she come back into the room with a box it has a Weaver marksman 4x scope in it that looks new, 2 cleaning kits, 2 sets of Jay Scott custom Ruger SA grips and a bag of SA parts. She has a slip of paper with $100.00 - $150.00 on it, said she spoke to someone and they said that was a fair price. She asked if I wanted it first, I gave her 160.00 for the lot.
    Have done some checking on the rifle and the serial #J-335XX seem to indicate a 1967/68 Japan build. Anyone know of these, are they shooter's. Stopped to buy some 22LR this morning at wally world, no dice. Wont be able to shoot it til this week end. Any thought's men?

"That guns do more than protect us from criminals; more importantly, they protect us from the ongoing threat of government."
    Lyn Nofziger

Boolit Master
    If she is a woman of means, you did well.......If she is a poor widow.........Well, I'll leave that up to others.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Grand Master
    $160.00 didn't even get close to market value of the Leupold scope alone.

Robert

Some on offer here:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Wea...cfm?cat_id=498

I personally wouldn't be able to sleep at night until I'd gone back and given her a much fairer price, but that's just me.

Geezz...She wanted me to take it all for nothing, I've know the lady my entire life. I did not want to accept it as a gift so I gave her more than she was going to sell it for. I work around her house, shovel in winter, fix lawnmowers etc. I think she was being nice to me & I was just happy to have it offered, and wondered if anyone had any experience with this model of 22. Ya all making me feel bad about the whole thing. This is not the first firearm I have got from her, a .375 Winchester NIB paid fair market for it. She also had offered me a Power Custom Grandmaster .44 mag unfired, I had that one sold on consignment for her. I can offer more will have to see if she would take it. Man you guys can be rough on a guy, but that's what I like about this site. Most of the people her are all about being fair to each other, in word & deed.

"That guns do more than protect us from criminals; more importantly, they protect us from the ongoing threat of government."
    Lyn Nofziger

OK, fair enough, wasn't really trying to make you feel bad

Sounds like the $100 - 150 offer was from someone willing to rip her off, so the fact the rifle went to someone who helps her is a good thing.

If I kick the bucket tomorrow, I just know the missus will get completely ripped off with all my shooting stuff. At the same time, I'm hesitant to provide her with a list of what it is reasonably worth, as then she would know how much I've spent on it!

Boolit Master

My friend had one. They are solid well built rifles. They are reasonably accurate. They were the high end for .22 Semi-autos and did not make it due to their price in the market. Their competition was the Winchester 190 and 290 and the Remington 552. The Weatherby was about 2X the price of its competition. Nice find.

Boolit Master

I just gave one (Weatherby XXII) to my brother that my father had. His had a Weather scope on it and a Weatherby padded case. They were very nice 22's.

I'm not much into semi-auto 22's; nothing wrong with them.... it's just me.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I have 2 of these Mark XXII's - a used production model and a special order custom model outfitted like a Custom Mark V with fancy, high relief, hand engraved stock, different colored inlaid woods, bright blue engraved barrel, mark V recoil pad (just for looks), gold diamond with initials in the pistol grip and iron sights. Also have a Mark V custom .460 Magnum, German action with the classic Imperial double turret scope.
    The production model is super accurate and I have been able to put holes in Coke Bottle caps at 100 yards with it and the scope that came with it. Have never fired the custom, special order gun. It took two years to get from Weatherby and was $3600.00 many years ago when I bought it. I only wish they had the bolt action version back then! It would have really looked like a baby Mark V.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    "I've know the lady my entire life. I did not want to accept it as a gift so I gave her more than she was going to sell it for. I work around her house, shovel in winter, fix lawnmowers etc. "

This makes all the difference in the world between what is *sounded* like at first, and knowing that the nice old lady did a nice thing for someone who has been a good neighbor his whole life.

Good for you.

Great gun! I had one for about 10 years until it got stolen in a break in. Very accurate and probably one of the better .22 autos at the time. Still better than the 10/22 currently available. You got a good one.

I had one with tube feed mag XXII nice gun. In 1980 -81 cost was 249.00. Looked to buy 1 today 600-800. Keep it they shoot nice no jams no problems. they sure are nice looking.

Boolit Buddy
    These guys said it all. $600.+ for mint 400. for one with scratches and dings. I haven't used mine in along time because I got board because it is so accurate. You couldn't ask for a better 22 rim fire .