Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .17 hmr

Boolit Buddy

.17 hmr

Bought a Savage in .17 HMR. Have not gotten a chance to shoot it yet. Ran some numbers and if they are to be believed I should sight that puppy in for something like 187 yards to have a point blank zero to 200+ on a 3" target.

Anyone shoot one of these and will tell me about them accuracy wise and in the field?

Thanks,
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Boolit Master

I have a Marlin 17 HMR that I have shot to 100 yards, it was about 1.5-2 MOA as I recall using CCI 17gr ammo. It really shines at 50-75 yards!!!

Don't know about shooting it at 200 yards as we don't have anyplace to shoot that far but i figure it ought to do so quite well. Not a lot of energy at that range though so I don't think it'd be much good except for paper punching.

Boolit Grand Master

Have a Sav 17HMR, and like it for P-dogs to about 150. Got one at a bit over 150 on a very calm day w/virtually no wind. Was an interesting shot: standing dog facing me, shot off the bench, at the shot red splash appeared on the dogs throat, and it just stood there for maybe 3-4 seconds before tipping over sideways. Clean kill, no exit. So for me, think that the 150 mark is about max that I would try for humaine kills on small vermin.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the input.
    Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Boolit Master
    I've shot a groundhog in the head at a lasered 150 yards,dead right there! I used a 14" contender on him. I also have a savage 93 rifle that i've shot several ground hogs with. SOME (head or neck shots) dropped them on the spot while body shots at closer ranges, left them get back to the hole. Some barrels are very picky about the bullet they will shoot. My 14" Contender will NOT shoot the 15 grain Lead Free bullets into a 2 foot square at 100 yards! On the other hand, MY 93 Savage WILL shoot them under 3" at the same distance!

Boolit Master
    17HMR is a great rifle and super accurate out to 200 yds...........Be sure to keep the bore clean for utmost accuracy......
    (A totally shameless plug.... www.rvbprecision.com )
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Buddy
    +1 to keeping the clean bore.
    My standard Marlin 917 will shoot both 17gn Hornady VMax and 20gn XTP into 1" at 100 meters if I do my bit.

I went with the 17HMR on the grounds of some of my shooting properties I cant afford to have bouncing off into the unknown. Yet to see a true exit wound, seen fragment exits on a crow, thats all.

Longest shot to date, 205meters one dead rabbit, chest shot. Will keep it below 100meters on foxes.

Maintain the bore, avoid the wind and you WILL enjoy it I am sure.

Boolit Bub
    I like my Ruger 77/17 for late season squirrel hunting, they are spooky and getting close is not easy,besides they don't stay in one place very long.
    Most shots are with in 100yds with a few a little over that.
    I've owned several 17 HMR's and all were very accurate. Hornady 17gr V Max is my favorite ammo.

By the way, that happens to be the one boxed cartridge that our local super stores still have in stock.

Boolit Master
    I am looking at a 100 yard target with a 5 round group less than 1/2 inch shot with my $200 Savage fitted with a Rifle Basix trigger.
    ph4570

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ph4570 View Post
    I am looking at a 100 yard target with a 5 round group less than 1/2 inch shot with my $200 Savage fitted with a Rifle Basix trigger.
    Picture or it didn't happen!!!!! Good shooting! What ammo/bullet weight and do you think the trigger change had that much impact???

Boolit Master

Target to show it happened

Hornady 17gr V-Max. Yes, the Rifle Basix trigger helps me. Rifle was purchased before Savage AccuTrigger was offered.

Measured it -- more like .6 inch group but still not bad. I have another target with 4 in one hole and a flyer (probably me) about 3/4 inch from that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17_hmr_100yds.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	64996
    ph4570

Boolit Master
    Have been playing around with a Marlin .17 lately, and i am liking it, sure is an accurate round if no wind. I have never been much of a fan because of the light bullet and the fact that i can't reload it, but at this point .17 ammo is avalable, .22lr is not, and i'd rather save my medium bore rifle powders for more important things until i am sure i can get more, so right now the .17 fits the bill. At first, we figured to trade it off on a good .22-250 someday when things calm back down, but this one has impressed me enough that it just may stick around.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Moderator Emeritus
    One of the pretty cool things about the .17HRM (with whatever height rings I have) is that the sights align with the bullet trajectory at both 50 and 100 yds.

Boolit Buddy

I am excited with mine. I agree on the ammo deal. Buy it while you can and shoot it.
    Dave

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ph4570 View Post
    Hornady 17gr V-Max. Yes, the Rifle Basix trigger helps me. Rifle was purchased before Savage AccuTrigger was offered.

Measured it -- more like .6 inch group but still not bad. I have another target with 4 in one hole and a flyer (probably me) about 3/4 inch from that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17_hmr_100yds.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	64996
    Well, it damn sure did happen!!! Good shooting!!!

Boolit Buddy
    It's a dynamite cartridge simply because it is so flat shooting. You can shoot dead on at 50 yards...and still me basically dead on at 100. My Anschutz in 22 lr is more accurate, but I have to peg the distance exactly if I want to take advantage of that accuracy. I have to go up 24 clicks on my scope when I switch from 50 yards to 100 yards. That leaves a lot of room for error if distance is misjudged. With 17 HMR, no worries - just point and shoot - up to 125 yards. More if you do a long range zero.
    In these parts, often one's very life may depend on a mere scrap of information.

.17HMR ammo is not cheap like .22LR ammo (should be!). It is however the single most accurate rimfire I have ever shot. I have ... let's say several .. rimfire rifles and hands down the HMRs are always the most accurate. It is simply intrinsically a super accurate round. I have shot many 1/2" 100 yd groups with my 10/22mag based version - on calm days. Any wind and I can't keep them that tight. If I mounted a 36X Weaver & a tuner I am absolutely certain I could better thoe groups by half on the right day. Not going to mess with all that though. Cleanliness is a requirement for all mine too. FWIW I use only pull through type on mine just to make sure I don't screw up the crowns or the throats. I just built a Ruger 96 lever action and after the stock work is finished maybe I'll post another thread on that one.

It still astounds me that a 17-20gr THREE piece projectile from a factory round can produce such amazing accuracy. Don't forget to keep the barrel copper free though.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

In Remembrance

I have one my son left with me three years ago so I could see how accurate it is. I still haven't fired it as I never think of it when an opportunity to shoot prairie dogs presents itself. I'll have to try it soon, but the wind is gusting to 50 mph today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast