Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Are Your Top 2 or 3 Reloading Manuals

Moderator Emeritus

Pet Loads by Ken Waters and Ly Cast handbook #3. Also rans are the Hornaday manual, LY #45, R. Lee #2, and net sites. Infrequent are Accurate Powder #1 [AA said to toss them all but you know how it goes], Speer #11, and a couple of others.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Lyman and sierra. I have others but these I turn to first.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    I generally prefer my Speer manual to my Lyman for jacketed loads, but my Lyman cast bullet manual is invaluable. If I had more I would probably be a little more helpful.

A buddy of mine picked up a Nosler manual and it looked like it would be great for a shooter who specializes in jacketed rifle rounds

Boolit Grand Master
    Lyman 3rd edition Cast Bullet Handbook, Speer Number 12, RCBS Cast Bullet Manual No. 1 are my mainstays, but I also use the 3rd Edition Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook a lot. I have many others, but these are my mainstays. If I could only have one, it would be the Lyman 3rd Edition Cast Bullet Handbook. Although somewhat dated, it covers a lot of calibers better than the more recent 4th edition and has loads for many boolits that are not even mentioned in the 4th edition book.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Lyman, Speer and Hornady. In that order....dale

Boolit Master
    I most often use either the Lyman or Hornady reloading manuals.
    I also refer and cross-reference with the Speer and Sierra manuals.
    I use the one caliber booklets from LoadbooksUSA,Inc. Every time I buy dies for a new caliber, I buy the relevant Load book.

I look up loads on-line, as well. I use nothing from the 'net unless I can verify it in a printed reloading manual.

Lyman, Lee, and Hornady. Lyman is #1 as I shoot a lot of cast boolits. Lee IMHO is a good reference for double or triple checking. Hornady helps me as I shoot a Hornady bullets in my .222 and .308. My favorite is the Lyman manual.

I know this is a cast bullet website, but most of us do load jacketed bullets as well. So this cautionary note is in order.

Bullet weight is not the only factor in pressure levels. A different jacketed bullet EVEN OF THE SAME WEIGHT can change peak pressure by 10,000 psi - or more - with the same load. Using one maker's load data with somebody else's bullet can get you into real trouble. That's why I suggested using the bullet maker's data as your primary source. If you shoot Speer bullets, use Speer data, and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee
    I have both editions and the Lyman Cast Bullet book, 4th edition. There are many more that I reference as well, but those are my top three.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Nothing wrong with the Lee manuals, but Lee doesn't have a ballistics lab. ALL data in Lee books is simply copied from other sources. So if there were typos or other errors in the original, they are in Lee as well. The problem with using Lee is that if you see a load in Lee and "check" it against Hornady (for example) and Hornady happened to be the original source, the two will agree - but could both be in error.

Boolit Master

I go to the lyman manuals first. #45 and the Cast bullet handbook for starting loads.
    For cast bullets I have the RCBS #1, all of the lyman cast bullet manuals, and the lee first and second edition.
    There are also a number of manuals from the powder manufacturers that i check loads in.

Manuals from the bullet manufacturers are great.
    I will go to a number of manuals for a specific powder/case/primer/ and bullet combination and take notes. That is the starting point of working up a load.
    I have a powely computer that I will verify some loads as well.
    There are online sources for reloading (and old manuals) as well.
    Cornell Publications has reprints of most of the old manuals and catalogs now out of print.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    My Sierra book is my go to for jacketed and the two Lyman books for cast. I have always found it remarkable how accurate the Sierra Book has been with the velocities of loads. My chronograph and the Sierra book match beautifully.

Boolit Master
    Lyman #47 and Lyman cast also Lee,but that's a backup to double the others. Also some of the powder mfg. paperbacks.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Grand Master

I started with the Serria #2 and am now up to I think #6 - has been my go to for years. Got into cast and the Lyman Cast boolit manuals are invaluable. Various other sources for special calibers.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    Lyman manuals for cast. Pretty much all I shoot anymore.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy

I have Nosler, Hornady and Speer becausae those are the brand bullets that I shoot most. Also have the latest Lee manual for loading lead bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman, Lee, Hornady, in that sequence!
    1Shirt1
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Lyman 49 for cast work
    Speer #14(newest)
    Hornady #7(need to get #9 soon)
    μολών λαβέ

Boolit Mold
    I use the Lee 2nd Edition (both versions) and Speer Manuals as well as the Hodgdon and Alliant websites as those are the powders I use. I cross reference every load with all of those sources and load conservatively for accuracy not speed. When I am unable to find a load, I email the powder manufacturer and ask for their suggestions. As a new caster I was unable to find load data for the bullets I am casting and the powders I have on hand. I emailed Alliant and they provided me with the min and max data for the powders I had on hand. I have found that component manufacturers are typically very willing to provide data. I have emailed Sierra in the past for load data and they have always responded with data even though I plainly stated that I do not own one of their manuals. I was only loading Sierra bullets for 1 load at the time, but since have used them more due to their pleasant and helpful response (I expected for them to tell me I should buy their manual). I also use a lot of data from this site. CastBoolits is one of the best resources I have found.

I must warn though, always double check ANY and ALL data no matter what the source! After all it is your firearm, your hand, your eyesight, and your life you are dealing with.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I use Lyman 43/48/49th,Hornady 11,Speer 12 and the new Lyman CBH. I never trust 1 source I check at least 2 sources for a given weight,usually I use 3 sources as check backs. I've often used a minimum charge from 1 source and a Max from another when there are large differences like a high minimum and a low maximum that are greater than 1 grain difference.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .