RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Hornady 45 Colt brass shorter than other brass?

Love Life

Hornady 45 Colt brass shorter than other brass?

I was out trimming 45 colt brass today to 1.275 per the Lyman manual. All the Hornady 45 colt brass (11 pieces) were 1.235. Is that normal of Hornady brass? It appeared to be once fired.

Banned

Any of the Hornady brass that was loaded with those flex tipped bullets will be shorter. They either had to redesign the bullet to get them to feed, or cut the brass back. They are too long and will not work in revolvers becuase of the tips. Thats what Hornady told me. And this is with all of the calibers that have the flex tip.

Boolit Grand Master
    ^True words there.
    Hornady's Leverevolution brass is all short, or at least the Ones I've handled to date. Still useable, but you have to segragate it if you crimp your rounds.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Love Life
    Thank you for the information. I knew it was for the 45-70, but never knew for the 45 colt.

Boolit Bub
    I've found even with there XTP line that they are shorter brass than other. This is at least the case in .357 and .41, haven't bought them in .45 colt though. Hornady is kinda notorious for short revolver brass lately.

Regards,

JP99

Boolit Master
    Had the same thing happen with Hornady 44 mag brass.I called them and they sent me 25 pcs of new brass the normal length.Never hurts to ask

Boolit Master

I wondered why my Hornady .44 mag brass was short. I loaded about 6 cases in a box of 50. I noticed that it was too short to crimp properly. I thought I had gotten some Spl. brass mixed in, but then noted that they were all Hornady .44 mag. I will be sure to seperate them when fired. Thanks guys!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master

I no longer even pick it up.

If I see a Hornady head stamp, I toss it into the range bucket.

I am sure somebody will disagree with this but every Hornady cartridge case I have picked up was short enough it would not crimp without a completely different die setting.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Like Bill, I don't bother with their brass either......
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.