Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee 125 RF 38 in a 9mm?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Redd508 View Post
    I didnt know that. Do they change size as they harden? Should i wait to resize? If i load before they fully harden and fire after the 10 days will it be enough to affect pressure or cause leading? If its been hashed out on the boards already i can search it out. I dont need a long answer in this thread.
    Quick answer: No. They don't change size
    No, size them swiftly, before they harden up to make the job easier and save wear on your equipment.
    Not enough to matter. 10 days on the shelf or 10 days in the case makes no difference that I have been able to discern
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Is 10 days after cast so much harder that it would wear out my sizer?

Boolit Master

No! Your arm. Seriously, the increased wear is probably negligible, IMHO. Depending on how much you are sizing, wear could become an issue. I don't like to do heavy sizing on my Lyman 450. The linkage is the weak point.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Good point. I've been loading wd coww. I may try the air cooled and see if i have lead issues. So far its been good in all barrels. All lead free an havent bought a gc yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Redd508 View Post
    Is 10 days after cast so much harder that it would wear out my sizer?

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    No! Your arm. Seriously, the increased wear is probably negligible, IMHO. Depending on how much you are sizing, wear could become an issue. I don't like to do heavy sizing on my Lyman 450. The linkage is the weak point.
    LOL. Yep, your arm. No way on the sizer.
    The original linkage broke on my Lyman 450. Lyman no longer makes the original, but offers a replacement linkage.
    it looks like this. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...l=1#post427123

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I've seen this same question asked a few times here and it appears there are many using it both in 9MM and 38 Spec. I've used it with good results in 9MM, 38 Spec and some mild 357's. Originally I was sizing .356 for 9MM and .358 for 38/357. My last batch I sized them all at .357 and run them in 9MM and 38 Spec. I didn't see any significant changes on paper, barrel leading or reliability in 9MM except in a Sig.

I traded away the Sig P-6 before determining the problem but my best guess the Sig's chamber is a tad smaller than the other 9's I used it in. One or two per mag the Sig's slide needed a bit of help to completely close. A problem I don't recall having when I had previously used the the same cast Boolit sized 356 and 355 or jacketed, both factory and handloaded.

I'm now using the Lee 125 RF sized .357 in both 9MM and 38 Spec with a fairly mild load of Bullseye or Unique as a plinking load. An accurate plinker, I might add in either caliber. I haven't hot-rodded it yet sized 357 in a 357 mag load but I assume it would work if necessary but likely I would have to deal with some barrel leading. I have an affection for the Lyman 38156 in hot 357 loads.

I don't recall the mix in the last batch of 125RF's but I believe it was a 50/50 mix of stickys and clip-ons all water dropped. I can't say for sure as I don't recall if I added any tin. Normally if I get a good flow and fill out I wont use any tin. If I did add any tin, it was just enough to get a good flow. My guess if you're using straight clip-ons, crank the heat up you wont need any tin.

I have to give credit where credit is due. I was fooling around with various 9MM and 357 molds. Board member JiminPhx gave me a batch of the 125RF suggesting I use them in 9MM. I had such a positive result I immediately ordered a 2-cavity mold. After being so delighted with it, didn't take me long to up grade to a 6-cavity.

Boolit Buddy
    So far I've been satisfied with water dropped coww. I get good mold fill out and no leading problems yet. I'm eager to get some casting done this weekend if the rain passes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12