Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Ideal No. 5 Powder Measure

Boolit Bub

Ideal No. 5 Powder Measure

I picked up an old Ideal No. 5 Powder Measure. I am looking for information on how to adjust the powder measure. There are two brass slides. The bottom one is thicker than the top on. The top on has two sets of gradation marks as shown in the picture below. Does anyone know how to adjust this thing?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IdealNo5.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	61603

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Bub
    I saw that. It is a newer version he shows. I guess the bottom line is to ignore the graduations and adjust it by trial and error until it drops the load that is desired. I'm loading for an original Spencer rifle with a centerfire conversion using cut down 50-70 cases. I've been using Pyrodex RS and I am going to try Swiss 1.5 F for the first time. I understand that it is "hotter" so I'm a little paranoid and want to be extra careful. Any advice appreciated.

Boolit Bub
    The graduations are the same for the 5 and 55s, just different mechanical methods of adjustment on the later ones. Make sure the bottom round slide is fully pushed in unless you intend to throw really big charges. Pull out the 2 brass slides together as an eyeball start until you get close to the desired charge and fine adjust with the top slide. Once you think you're at the right charge, lock the slides down and throw at least 10 charges and recheck. I don't know about Pyrodex or Swiss 1.5F but the Swiss 3F is about 5+% hotter and cleaner than Goex 3F.

Boolit Grand Master

I thought you could download directions on Lyman's site? If not PM me your address and I'll send you a copy.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    I found it on the Lymans site.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I've been using Pyrodex RS and I am going to try Swiss 1.5 F for the first time. I understand that it is "hotter" so I'm a little paranoid and want to be extra careful.
    BP is not 'hotter' than Pyrodex and if you are paranoid, scale weigh the dropped powder
    Regards
    John

Boolit Bub
    Thanks.

Boolit Bub

RE:Powder measure

Quote Originally Posted by cwbuff View Post
    Thanks.
    Get a reprint copy of Ideal handbook No . 27, it has info on how to use this measure and weights of smokeless powder Such as unique and bullseye which are still in use.I have an RCBS measure but almost never use it because the old ideal measure measures smokeless much better-including 4759 and Pyrodex which "Bridge" and give inconestant loads(read double charge which leads to blown guns).PS i am a christian and do not use the word "holy Black". it offends me, its just BP and not HOLY.

I started with BP back in '80 and found it to be "normal". Since starting with smokeless only a couple years ago I find it far more "holy"......but not really...BP still does everything I want it to.

Boolit Master
    The slide you have is common with lymans From the thumb slot it's and older version. The # indicated date back appox 75 Years when lyman had there old #5. I some of the older Lyman Books 1960-70-80. It gave you setting for certain powders. But some of those powder are now obsolete. I generally go by feel and check weight with a beam scale. Meaning just pull the slide out a little at a time . upon completion keep a record of what you did. Then reset and re-weigh. to learn all about Lyman PM
    go to
    55project.com
    Sal
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost