Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why no powder?

why no powder?

I spoke with Hodgdon today and was told that the reason there is a shortage is....one for obvious reasons hoarding..two.... mainly the large increase in gun ownership and the large influx of re loaders. The fourth reason is vendor/dealers must fill a truck load quantity regardless of the order for it to ship. I thought this was odd but kinda makes sense. So while they may have available quantities of most powders the vendor wont order it as they do not have available the powders that they need. In short the maker has the powder but wont ship it until the vendor buys a lot of powder they do not need. So this is extending the unavailability of available powders. Can we start a call-a-thon to get this changed? In short there may be powder available that we need and is sitting that we can not buy because the "truck" is not full. Kinda sucks IMHO.
    Last edited by TES; 01-13-2014 at 06:39 PM.
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    WalMart has been doing this kind of analysis for years. Their replenishment (supply chain) system is second to none, and they have been the international leader in this endeavor since its development in the early 1980s. They began the process, by intentionally using one of the very first Teradata database systems having virtually unlimited storage insertion with real-time data segregation by whatever programmed. ... felix
    felix

Yes but they could start making the high demand powder/s and not require vendors to buy things they do not need....i.e holding the hot commodity for ransom just to not have to re gear the operation. I was also told they have not changed anything since 2005 for OP. If it were me I would figure out how to make a good profit but not at the frustration of my consumer.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    LOL, can anyone think of a smokeless powder that 'no one' will use ?
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

I have no reason to question Hodgdon's analysis of the powder shortage. I am not sanguine that things will improve anytime soon. Until their is a change in the White House, the shortage will continue. Even a change of White House resident might not change the situation, if the replacement is of the same stripe as the current resident. Gun owners and shooters got a real scare this time, and it will be a long time before they forget it.

I tend to accumulate old reloading hand tools and for a time that level of reloading equipment was immune from the Obama panic, but in the past couple of months the prices have climbed steeply on even these lowly reloading objects.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by TES View Post
    Yes but they could start making the high demand powder/s and not require vendors to buy things they do not need....i.e holding the hot commodity for ransom just to not have to re gear the operation. I was also told they have not changed anything since 2005 for OP. If it were me I would figure out how to make a good profit but not at the frustration of my consumer.
    This is how they increase their bottom line, but keeping the cost of shipping as low as possible with bulk rates. Capitalism at work. These folks don't exist to make consumer's happy, but rather exist to make money for the owners. As long as the end user/consumer will buy all they can make, why should they worry about their happiness quotient. When consumer frustration cuts into their bottom line, they will think about doing things different. Until then..no way!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

well..in my experience when there is a demand there is a chance for new start ups....could hurt the bottom line.

Boolit Grand Master
    A start up in powder manufacturing isn't very likely. If it did happen it might take years to get online and I can only imagine the permits required.

Hodgdon knows what they are doing. They didn't get to where they are today by being poor business men.

I did say "chance" and I do not mean aMERICANT's when start up is concerned. They are exactly where they are because its what they do. Just don't want this to be the next doe run thread. I just spoke with Camdex last week and his only references were to machines being sent to Malaysia and Africa......odd....? They are not being sent here.

Boolit Grand Master
    I wonder what percent of gunpowder made goes into canisters for sale to reloaders. I bet it is a very small percentage.

I don't see any company beginning a new enterprise to fill our shortage when the shortage is visibly short lived. Millions of investments needs to be paid off over decades, not a few years.

Economics doesn't work in our favor.

except for those in Malaysia the Philippians and Africa.

Do you mean 7 years worth of shortage? Is that just a poor start? Or is 2 years of orders to pay back start up cost (assuming that they are needed) a poor consideration? I am confused. These guys have been milking us for years.

Boolit Grand Master
    Who is milking us? I don't see any conspiracy here.

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Who is milking us? I don't see any conspiracy here.
    I agree...I don't see Hodgdon as some kind of bad guy who has been screwing the reloaders.

Boolit Grand Master
    I wonder if Hodgdon is discontinuing some powders to allow increased production of others.

bhn22
    And for the record, minimum orders are necessary to help insure handling efficiency in many product lines. Also, there are HazMat charges that have to be addressed. The less people physically handle items, the less everybodys overhead is. Gunpowder is most commonly transported by truck, which is the most efficient method of safely transporting it.

Boolit Buddy
    Hodgdon isn't all Bad, still not my Favorite. The IMR powders are not made on the same type of Equipment as the Spherical/Ball type. They make a good bit of the Spherical Powders in St MArks Florida, and ship them in bulk to Kansas for Repackaging.

I Issue with the Distribution is the Shipping Regulations. They want to fill the Truck, because the Insurance cost is the same for one large Drum 100+# as a full 40,000# Load. It is not Legal to Transport the Drums, even if you could get one. I forget the exact Federal Regs, but a Passenger Vehicle isn't supposed to carry more than 105 or 115#. I thought the regs also didn't permit more than 48# per Container. Those numbers aren't exact, but give you an idea. I will miss the IMR 4756, 4759, and 7625. I haven't found a need for PB.
    Greg
    AKA 12 Bore

Boolit Master

So I do not see why powder valley has next to no powder if hodgdon has it waiting to be sold as I would think that powder valley would order a load as they do sell a lot and it has been awhile since they have had a good stock of any powder , it is a little trickle here and there .
    I think there is just not much powder in stock at hodgdons facility , and it is grafs and wideners and midsouth and midway who also show next to no powder in stock , Alliant powder same thing no one has much of anything in stock and these dealers would be ordering large lots to sell if it was available .

Just checked today..Russia seems to have ample supply of shot gun powders...which could supplement say hs-6.

Boolit Buddy
    Well let us know when you get a container load so we can start buying it

group buy? LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast