Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accurate Powder 5744

Boolit Bub

Accurate Powder 5744

Was looking at Lyman's book and they list this powder as a good all around powder for cast bullets in rifle.

Anyone using it?

Your experiences?

Thanks

Cool

It was the best (and most expensive!) CB powder I've ever used. By best, I mean excellent accuracy, low standard deviations, and it flows easily through powder measures in cartridges from .243Win. -> .45-70Gov't.

Boolit Master
    I'm using it in 338 Win Mag. with clone of a Lyman 338320 (200 Gr) boolet. Better groups than with SR 4759 and same boolet. Not currently loading it in any other rifles.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

5477 generally needs a heavy for caliber/cartridge bullet as it needs a certain level of psi to burn efficiently. With light for caliber bullets many times you have to push them too fast for efficient ignition and burn for best accuracy.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    A typical today's batch has 20 percent nitroglycerin, upped from 10 percent within the earliest batches. To keep that amount in check during ignition, in combination with the large kernel size, the amount of deterrent must be considerable to maintain a valid pressure curve for the applications intended. The powder design should be compared to TrailBoss, 5010, 7383, and other large kernel numbers for THEIR applications. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Bub
    Thanks all

Am considering it and it is still available on store shelf.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    5477 generally needs a heavy for caliber/cartridge bullet as it needs a certain level of psi to burn efficiently. With light for caliber bullets many times you have to push them too fast for efficient ignition and burn for best accuracy.

Larry Gibson
    That's been my experience too with some loads it is a very accurate powder then another rifle and similiar boolit not so much. Buy a can and try it might work for you it does seem to leave a lot of fouling in the barrel more than some others but if it's accurate enough I can over look that as I clean and the end of the days shooting anyway sometimes more often than that.

RB

Boolit Buddy
    5477 is my go to powder for all my old black powder cartridges.
    You do need a heavy bullet to get complete combustion.
    But even with unburnt grains of powder, it works very well.
    Gregg

Use it in 300 blackout/whisper, 45-70, 375 bigbore, 357 maximum and some in 44 magnum. It's not a do everything powder but in it's use range it works well.

Boolit Master

A guy I used to shoot with had some for sale. Had already sold 2 jugs and could not figure out why anyone would 60 bucks a jug for it. Obviously he had got it cheap or in a trade and knew not what he had.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 02-21-2013 at 12:14 AM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    In my experience, it's pretty much the same as SR-4759, neither better nor worse as far as accuracy, suitability, or completeness of combustion. It's generally easier to get hold of 4759 than 5744.

I got good S.D. when I was using it in the .35 Remington with 200 grain boolits. Mike Venturino claimed it was his best powder for cast in the .30-06. I'm just glad I stocked up when I still had money - it was pricey then, and even more so now.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Love the powder, hate the price!
    1Shirt1
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

Best powder I've found for cast in the .30-30; both lever and bolt guns. As had been mentioned, it's 'pricy' but, last year, I snagged a half-dozen 1-pounders for 1/2 price when Gander Mountain was clearing out their reloading supplies so I'll be using it 'til those run out.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    Best powder I've found for cast in the .30-30; both lever and bolt guns. As had been mentioned, it's 'pricy' but, last year, I snagged a half-dozen 1-pounders for 1/2 price when Gander Mountain was clearing out their reloading supplies so I'll be using it 'til those run out.

Bill
    LOL! That's how I got some of mine, too. At least 10 years ago !
    Cognitive Dissident

Lat. 33N 6' 48" Long. -84 15" 11" Middle Georgia

AA 5744 powder

Yes, it is expensive, (just paid $234. 8lb) I'm just not sure if it is as good as they say. 45-70 with a Brooks 535 boollit, 1-25 lead, new 1-18 twist Green Mountain barrel. I am getting lead heavy in the barrel, also tried it in the H&R BC 32" it also is leading. With H-4198 very good, no leading. I can get the lead out easy, by using bronze wool. I will now try to use GC and see how that works. (ALL GUNS are different) beng

I have used it in 45-70 and 45-60. Leading problems with both guns. SR 4759 works better for me.

Boolit Buddy
    have you tried a lubed fiber wad at the base of the bullet when you seat it. works for me.JimP.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep, I have some. It shot well, but I haven't used it enough, I am using 4759 clone and 4227.
    Got good results in the '03 and Krag.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    That powder is the most accurate smokeless I have come across in a .40-50 B.N. Remington rolling block. However, in the .40-70 straight & B.N., it has never given top accuracy. I tried it once in a .22 Hornet..Once!..so many unburned and scorched powder grains in chamber, I couldn't seat another round!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast