Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 10.4 x 38mm Vetterli 41 Swiss looking for loads for 240 grain bullet

Boolit Man

10.4 x 38mm Vetterli 41 Swiss looking for loads for 240 grain bullet

I been using a borrowed mold 310 grain .429 dia. it's really whittling way at my lead supple. I would like conserve my shooting and extend my supply by dropping now 70 grains.

So has anyone had any great success with a 240 grain bullet in a Swiss Vetterli rifle if so what powder and what velocities?

I just about got all my brass formed up now, I just need to finish the last fire forming and I will be ready for load development. So my thoughts were; why re-invent the wheel if someone has already been down this road, it would save a lot of powder and primers, which are in short supply today or so it seems.

I would even consider a 200 grain bullet if there is more success with them.

My goal for this rifle is something that will shoot well at 100 yards. this is a novelty rifle for shooting with friends and sharing a bit of history.

thanks for any info.
    Dan

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    First, know that the shorter bullets won't cycle in the magazine.

That said, I've done ok with 200 and 240 grain bullets using both a case of black powder and some of the popular substitutes- 4198, Trail boss, 5744.

Here's a link to a good discussion on the topic on another board. http://forums.gunboards.com/archive/...p/t-21008.html

Boolit Man
    I am aware about overall length issues of too short being a problem, I don't think I have ever used the magazine since I owned one. i have ran my brass out to 42 mm on the new brass, but had been trimming it to 38 mm but this time running them a little longer. I have a M78 and M81 the M81 is relatively new to me. the M78 has been Hacked on before it came to me. the M78 was the learning curve for earlier experiments.

I just got my 69/71 up and working this past week, so far just loaded some pipsqueak 4.5 gr red dot loads with a 200 and 250 gr boolit to make sure it would function. then the black powder loads (29 gr 2f) shot very well out to 75y even with a pitted bore. with blow tube between shots. tonite I loaded a few 9gr unique and 16gr 4759 loads just to try. I will report when I get a chance to try em out.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Man
    I loaded some 240 grain bullets last night with 9 grains of unique and I am going to give that a try. I had be loading 8 grains of trail boss with 310 grain bullets, but lead supply was suffering from that and my tail boss supply is also shrinking so, the plan is to go to a lighter bullet and switch to unique powder, in a attempt to conserve supplies. it might be a while before I get a chance to try them snow and ice are in the forecast for this week.

I might have to head out this weekend and get a pound of red dot powder, I keep hearing red dot loads.

Dan

Boolit Master
    I'm using 10 grains of Unique with 240 grain .430 bullets in my 81 model and it shoots great. I'm so happy with that load I may not look for anything better.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

41 swiss

I use trail boss and a 240 gr swc shoots very well shot this target before I got my new higher front sight from chicken thief now it shoots dead on point of aim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture.jpg  

Boolit Man
    what was your distance on your target???

Banned
    A pace closer and the bayonet would have shredded the paper
    But it is nice shooting and just goes to show what those old Swiss guns will do.

Wink

The target was at 45 yds
    Very funny chicken thief
    Hope You are ok.
    Jim
    Last edited by Jjed; 02-24-2013 at 10:34 AM.