Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Great month for rifle purchases...

Boolit Master

Great month for rifle purchases...

Or a very expensive one, depends on how you look at things.

Nealy two weeks ago, a buddy and I went to a local pawnshop.

They had a nice Pre-64 Featherweight in 30-06. The hi-cap mag craziness was at its' peak, and the owner traded me the rifle for 22 30-round aluminum magazines I bought at Brownells a couple years ago on a bulk purchase for $8 each. He was asking $680.

Then, my buddy tells the guy "show Rich the Sharps rifle you have in the back..."
    The owner brings out a zipper case, and pulls an early Shiloh (Farmingdale, NY, stamped). The caliber is 45 2 4/10ths (45-90), which I have been looking for. The serial number is EK 100.

Yes, Elmer Keith. Shiloh built the rifle for him back in the early to mid 1970's.
    His only grandson, has some chronic medical issues and needed to pawn the rifle to pay for medicine.
    Long story short, I bought it for $2600.

This is enough of a great couple of deals to cover a good year for me.

Then, a week ago, this guy offers me a mint pre-64, serial number 66xx in 22 Hornet. Not interested in any trades, but wants $1200 for it. I am driving out to his ranch in the morning to pick the rifle up.

I hope I do not sound like I am bragging, but just wanted to share my good fortune with some friends here.

The Cheshire Cat has nothing on me in the grin competition...

take care,

Rich

Boolit Master

Idaho, nice finds, but stop teasing!!!! Pics of the Sharps please!!!

Love Life
    Yes indeed. While everybody is focused on the plastic fantastic rifles the good bolt actions are going for great prices.

I traded an AK I paid $250 for back in 2004 for 2 M48 Yugo mausers (all matching) with 900 rds of ammo and a beat up Remington 700 I plan to use as a donor action for a custom rifle build this summer. Sho' am good!!

The rifles you got sound beautiful by the way!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Good on you !!! There's just something about classy rifles ain't there ? I haven't had an old Winchester bolt rifle call my name yet but I have heard whispers from them and the Remington 721 and 722 series amonst others . I was set up at a gun show once and had a Winchester model 43 trying to get my attention once .... I nearly fell for that little Bee .

Jack

Banned

you absolutely stole that hornet if its in any kind of shape! I had a good month too. Picked up a bdl in 300 ultramag, a abolt in 300wsm and just sent the money out for a rem classic in 300 h&h. Must be 300 mag. Wasnt looking for just 30 cal mags but deals just happened to fall into place.

Great month for rifle purchases...

I agree as long as it's not a black rifle the market for regular stuff definitely needs nurturing.