Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: 32 Spl Likes LeveRevolution Powder (part II)

Boolit Grand Master

32 Spl Likes LeveRevolution Powder (part II)

Finally found a load that my old (1969 vintage) 94 in 32 WS seems to like! She's a plinker equipped with receiver peeps and a Lyman Globe front sight. I opened up the barrel channel after the last range trip hoping to eliminate impact shifts and it worked! While I was reworking the forend I removed a few dents & scratches and discovered the stock was birch. Didn't have any stain on hand so I just put a quickie oil finish on it and freshened up the crackly buttstock finish as well. I was so tickled with her performance today I picked up a Birchwood Casey kit @ Cabelas to stain and finish the forend like it should be.
    Load is a HT RD 323-170 perched atop 34.5 grs LeveRevolution (thanks, Larry!) powder inside a Hornady case with a Federal Match primer to get the party started. Lube is LLA with a coat of Rooster jacket. Groups well within 2" @ 50 yds, not bad for this loose nut and peeps.
    Crimp needs a bit of tweaking but I can't wait to get this old girl back together and on the shooting bench again!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy

Here's what Leverevolution powder does with the RCBS 08-170, 182gr boolit in my one Marlin 336SC in .32 Win Special. Load chronographs 2300fps. Group was fired at 50 yards, scoped.

This target was shot with the Ranch Dog 323-170 bullet. It also weighs 182gr lubed and gas checked. The above load uses Alliant 2400 powder and chronographs @ 1744fps. Group is five shots at 50 yards also with the same Marlin 336SC. The Ranch Dog boolit shoots great in my 1968 vintage Win Model 94 in .32 Special.

Boolit Master
    that's some mighty fine shootin', i bought some LVR powder to work up some loads for my 30-30, but i ain't got that far yet.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine's not shooting that well, with my eyes and peeps it likely never will. Nice groups, 358 Win!
    Stick with the heavy boolits, izzyjoe. I couldn't get the 165's to work in my 30-30, seems 180 is the threshold weight with the 30-30. Seems to be the case with the 32WS as well. I tried a few with RX7 and Universal this weekend. Seems to like the RX7 pretty well but will revisit the LVR again.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Izzyjoe my 336 works fine with the rd165 and 30 leverEV but likes 170 better. This is scoped off-hand @ 40 yds, 20 or so rounds.
    Attachment 62563
    Last edited by popper; 02-27-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Boolit Master
    i don't have the RD165, all i have is the Lee 170. when it warms up i'll try a few loads.

Boolit Grand Master

Think I'll settle on the RX7 load after all. Put 10 shots into 2.5 inches @ 50 and that's about all I was good for today w/ peeps. All but two were into under 2" so I'm OK with that.

Boolit Master
    revisiting this thread has anyone had success with imr4198 with rcbs170 in 32winspl, i got in on wideners spp210 which they claim used imr4198 data and now as budget is tightening Its time to reopen the keg. Or, should I stick to 30-32gr lvr I have had great success with this spp in 223rem and also 30-30. I have seen ranch dog's data on dozens of powders for water quenched boolits from blc2 to 4064, they can't all be equally accurate. also with my limited to no experience with hunting white tail with cast loads are water quenched bullets as effective on thin skinned game as softer wheel weight castings

Banned

I use imr 4198 in the 32 win.
    25 grs is holy moly stout, 23-24 is more in-line with a cast boolit load. [reduced jacketed load]
    I'm using an old Ideal single cavity mold [and ain't sure on the mold number] but 170grs is about right as far as the weight.
    I'm sizing to 324 since I also use this boolit in my 8 mauser and it feeds/chambers scuffs the nose just fine, so I'm running with it.
    it will hold 2"s at 10yds from the bench with the sights it come with from Winchester.
    I'm pretty happy with the combination.

Boolit Grand Master

Can't address the 4198 question but if you're wanting to cut powder costs you may be able to score some Unique. Costs less than LVR and only uses about a third as much powder.
    As to the other question I HT almost all my hunting boolits but that's mostly because they perform better on paper at hunting velocities if I HT them. Don't know where you're from but if your game critters are bigger than a TX whitetail the additional penetration of a HT'd boolit may come in handy, I wouldn't know. I do know that I appreciate a tough HT'd boolit when I shoot a big hog but that's another subject.

Boolit Master
    Wrong place
    Last edited by cwtebay; 04-17-2024 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Wrong place