RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
PBcastcoInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old buffalo mold chart question.

Old buffalo mold chart question.

I am thinking about making an Android app that would have the old buffalo Lyman mold chart in it with known weights and possibly suitable uses for the molds. Does anybody know who created the chart and if it is copyrighted?

I was thinking about doing this for my own use and possibly giving away copies for a donation to castboolits.

Any thoughts?

GSDelong

Boolit Bub

I'd like to have a copy of the app if you get it up and running

Boolit Master

got this off the copy that is on the internet:

Ol' Buffalo Bullet Mold Tables
    Copyright © 2005, 2012 by Blaine S Nay, Cedar City, Utah, USA
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Thanks for the replies I was beginning to wonder. Thought it a lot of people would be interested but maybe my question was too narrowly phrased. App is 1/2 done for my personal use. Greg

Boolit Grand Master
    Unfortunately, neither the Old Buffalo list nor any other single list I have found is anything like complete. I have yet to find one that has the 32 S&W pistol bullets (WC & SWC.) These lists seem to lean toward whatever their owner's biases might be and have been a little frustrating when looking for the rare (and thus more interesting) moulds.

Froggie

I just need a place to start I can always add to it. The old Buffalo. Chart had each bullet as a seperate image making it an easy way to get started pm me if you have any additiobal.data including boolit imafrs you want to send me. Gsdelong

You are the man if you work at it long enough there is a lot of people that can help fill in the blanks here.

Right now I have all the tools and 75% of it done. I am primarily concerned about permissions. The old buffalo chart looks like it is straight from the Lyman 1973 cast bullet handbook so I think lyman is where I need to get permission.

Boolit Buddy
    If your talking about the old fold out pamphlets of moulds.
    I have an Old Ideal with everything from .22 up through the Sharps
    Not the best shape but could take a pic.

Most all Cherry numbers Ideal and Lyman made are posted on castpics.
    http://www.castpics.net/subsite/HistMolds/IdealCN.pdf
    Pictures from two older catalogs are available here... http://www.sodcity.com/gallery2/view...ame=Moulds-etc
    N.R.A. Life Member

I have reached out to wiljen trying to start getting permission..right now the issue is getting all the permission I have all.the technology. My plan is to use the first version as a fund raiser for.castboolits saying if.everything works out. I am concerned about stepping on toes. I have drafted a letter to lyman to request permission to use their.information. GSDeLong

Got good news from Lyman that I can use the images from their publications. I will be starting a new thread about my mold identification application. I am removing references to old buffalo mold chart as that may add confusion. Since almost all those images came from the 1972 cast bullet manual. I have also reached out to saeco and hope to hear from the and others soon. Gsdelong.

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar
    Very cool that Lyman got back to you. I'll see what I can do to help coming up with pictures from old Lyman/Ideal ads and what not. Did they say anything about not publishing measurements, I know we talked about them claiming all their bullet designs as "proprietary"

I told them I would be including weight, diameter and nose punch but that there would not be any dimensioned drawings. My next task is to figure out how on the molds that were made in as many as nine weights as which 2 were the top ones. I am planning on having 2 searchable fields for weight and the rest would be list in a text field. I am thinking about contacting others like NOE, Ranch Dog, and others. I think I can create a PDF file with the screens printed like playing cards maybe 3 across and 4 down on a page to show you what it will look like. Playing with best way to embed the images right now. I am also trying to draw the line between my version for android which would primarily be used to look up molds at gun shows etc, and the full blown database I am working which would include casting session records and range tests.

Boolit Master

A truly complete chart would include different cherry variations within each mold number. Lyman's interpretation of any given mold varied greatly over the years.

My first goal on this project is a tool that I can use at a gun show or gun store when I find a mold to help identify it. The idea came about when I was handed a bag of 6 molds and asked if I wanted to but them all, I recognized a few but there happened to be a not so common 43 spanish mold in there that I had no clue about. That was the basis for the mobile app. I am also working on another casting database, because I have looked at the ones out there and they do not really meet my desires, that one would have considerably more information as it would be designed to run on a desktop P.C. As far as every cherry ever cut for every mold, that seems to really be a third project as I expect it would be to large for a smart phone app. Also my smartphone app would know if I already owned the mold or not, if it was gas checked and the intended application. That being said if somebody had all the information on cherry variations it would not be hard at all for me to assemble that in some type of database. The information on castpics is very helpful, but is just to hard to access spur of the moment when a buying opportunity arises. To many shows inside of cell signal blocking metal pole barns. Greg

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    My next task is to figure out how on the molds that were made in as many as nine weights as which 2 were the top ones.
    My first goal on this project is a tool that I can use at a gun show or gun store when I find a mold to help identify it.
    If I may as an excellent app reference source:
    * From the Old Buffalo chart - a jpg of the bullet in front of the Cast Boolits Cherry Chart.

The CB listing is the most accurate because there are many bullet profile jpg's missing on Old Buffalo.

As for determining those molds with variable weights, forget about which one(s) are the most popular. It is not doable. They were made in specific weights or there was an adjustable mold. Just list that bullet as adjustable. They are scarcer than hens teeth to determine for the adjustable ones - even to find a picture of one. Then just show a jpg profile of any of the weights
    Last edited by John Boy; 03-01-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    Regards
    John

Now have written permission from reding also. Making progress

Boolit Grand Master
    At one time there were at least two more websites that had charts of the various Lyman bullet moulds. Each was incomplete of course, but which had their own strengths based on their makers' interests. I'm aware of the (fuzzy) pictures on CASTPICS™ but would really like to know about any other such sites that have illustrated lists of the old patterns, especially the less well known ones. Any suggestions?

Froggie

Boolit Master

What a great project.
    Good luck to you, sir....dale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast