WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large Loop Levers

Large Loop Levers

I was looking at some lever 22's, as if I need another gun, and saw that the Henry arms levers were now getting to be all large loop. My question is what are they good for? Honestly I do not know. They add bulk to the rifle when cased and I never really felt any need to roll one to cock it like John Wayne in True Grit and probably would shoot something off if I did. Not saying that if someone likes them to go for it, but I am really a traditional sort of fellow. I build my own muzzleloaders according to how they were built 200 years ago and hunted with recurves and longbows. Kind of why I was attracted to a lever gun. So I guess that is my one count against them. But why?

DP

Boolit Grand Master
    Some people like the looks. Some like them because they have large hands but some are even bigger than that.
    I am with you, I don't like em. They just look silly to me.

If large loop levers also had an equally large loop for the trigger, I could get past the looks for extreme cold weather hunting. Since I am not going to the Arctic to hunt ice hogs, I can do without them. They look like a bull's scrotum hanging off an otherwise elegant piece of equipment.

I like the looks #1 #2 I must have big hands as the stock lever I can only get a couple of fingers in and it feels cramped . also most of my deer hunting was in northern NH near the Canadian border .heavy gloves are the order of the day. No I don't try to spin it like Chuck Conners. To each their own.
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Some people like the looks. Some like them because they have large hands but some are even bigger than that.

Me too.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

I always saw them as Hollywood stuff with no practical value, but that's just me. Of course, I'm generally right.

Boolit Master
    Large loops are now a must for me. My hands have never had a spot in a small loop for my pinky and add gloves and I only have two fingers in the loop. My Henry 22 with large loop is my favorite 22 for cold weather bunnies. I bought my Rossi 45LC with the large loop because of the Henry and I'm sold on them.

I'm going to convert my 94 one day too.

Boolit Master

Folks who hunt in short sleeved shirts and sneakers have NO idea, nor do they try to imagine the pain experianced by those of us with impared circulation.
    I havn't been able to wear gloves for decades. They cannot retain enough heat to prevent my fingers from turning white. The ache would literally drive me from the woods. Only good quality mitts will allow a full day in the field.
    Try putting those thru a "slick, picturesque finger loop."
    Beauty Is as beauty DOES.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Ok, maybe it's not just Hollywood stuff.

When I bought my 39M it had a gigantic loop on it, too gigantic. I couldn't stand it, ordered a new factory lever and replaced it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gorilla_loop.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	61595

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I too don't like the looks.

I must be the only honest guy out there... I admit that I bought one so I could teach myself to twirl like the Duke. Now being honest I have mastered the "twirl" but I am not dumb enough to do it loaded. By the way it must be the slowest possible way to load a lever action, but if you are at full gallup with your six shooter in your other hand and the reins in you mouth, and you have to reload the carbine, its the only cool way to do it.

Boolit Mold

Unhappy

I like them. Because of looks and The Duke, of course.

Now, I have to confess to you all:

I can´t spin it!!!

I am too DUMB for it!

How´s it done???

OK, the truth:

standing on the bed, 94 Trapper, EMPTY, try to "throw down front of rifle" ...

I am simply too dumb for it!!!!

;-( ;-( ;-(

(( Hermann ))

Boolit Master
    Well I bought one back in the mid 80's. It was a Winchester 32 special with a 16" barrel that Winchester offered for a very short time. I did learn to twirl it and in my opinion you can't get shot with it as when you twirl it the first thing that happens is it opens as you swing it out and down and as it comes up the lever is pulled closed and at that point the barrel is pointed down range. It is imposible to close the action until it makes about 90 percent of the 360 degree rotation. I did shoot it like that but there is not much accuracy and it takes about 5 times as long to work the action. Also one handed shooting with a 32 or a 30-30 is not much fun.
    As for looks i'ts all in the I of the beholder. Personally I like blonds, but some like brunetts and others like redheads. When I was young I probably would not have turned down any of them.
    As for the 16" barreled 32 Winchester and large loop, it was a special edition, and I wish I had kept it.
    Last edited by 45-70 Chevroner; 02-19-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Boolit Mold
    I'm thinking about looking for one for my Marin 30-30 because i have an injury to a tendon that prevents me from straightening out my finger. I can fit it into the standard loop but not without dificulty. I don't realy like the look of them but i'm thinking it might be more comfortable. Besides it might be cool to be able to twirl.

They're good for looking flashy.

In the 90 or so years that lever actions were made before TV westerns you'd think someone at Winchester would have got the idea or the request for a large loop if it was needed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Armand View Post
    I like them. Because of looks and The Duke, of course.

Now, I have to confess to you all:

I can´t spin it!!!

I am too DUMB for it!

How´s

OK, the truth:

standing on the bed, 94 Trapper, EMPTY, try to "throw down front of rifle" ...

I am simply too dumb for it!!!!

;-( ;-( ;-(

(( Hermann ))
    First off ,you don't throw down front of rifle. You drop your arm thats connected to the hand thats connected to the lever. Then you push your arm forward to get the rifle moving around in a circle. As the muzzle comes forward, the action will cycle. Although, if you are trying this with a 20" bbl, theres a good chance you will get cut by the front sight as it passes below your armpit.

Boolit Master
    Hollywood aside, up here in the cold using heavy gloves and heavy loads in the 45/70, the large loop levers are a great help, I couldn't operate my fav. levergun without the large loop in -30 degrees.

Boolit Master

I wonder if Ziptar got my P.M.
    I'd like to have that m39 Big loop.
    Also
    Sounds like Tim357 has cycled the action like 'The Duke".
    I'would't try it unless it had a Trapper bbl. in an M92 Win/Rossi
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Master
    i'm not too fond of them either, but i do like the one's that are opened up a little bit. but i can't remember who makes them.