Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Repainted or"refurbished" loading presses

Boolit Master

Thumbs down Repainted or"refurbished" loading presses

IF YOUR THINKING OF BUYING ONE STAY AWAY
    As you can see I,m not a fan of repainting or refurbishing. But on occasion i do purchase one. Not only do I load but Collect Vintage Machines.I recently purchased a Brown Bair III from an nameless on line source because I,m now Collecting Bair's.
    When asking if the machine was refurbished He said he didn't know but knowing my equipment I knew. Bair never made a Black and Yellow press. Only Flat finish Medium blue .When I received the press it was frozen. Not from rust but paint . I can live with that
    This now turned into a rescue mission.I brought it to a friend of mine shop to get a cost to take it apart and blast the paint off. Well that would cost $250. I figured then like alway do it my self.
    I wanted to save most of the original Blue paint under the Black and yellow. But no luck and 8 hours later. But again it's only time.Now it looks better in the white than before but still not finished. Every thing has to be removed old paint is under the cam a real mess. But again this is what I wanted
    This above speech is for all who think there getting something good for cheap.
    Most online dealers only fix things up just to make a sale." Refurbishing " hides all the previous mistakes. What you see is not what you get. Unless you want it. My advise for all Don't do it unless you can put in the Time. If you think a dealer is going to spend 10,12, 24 HR"s in fixing Your so wrong ." Let the buyer beware"
    Thanks for reading
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Banned
    well said. as a collector I hate seeing collectible old tools repainted under the heading of restoring. to a collector originality is everything, even faded, worn and chipped paint.

Just keep it clean and oiled to prevent rust.
    Ken

Nice press in your avitar Pressman, I run a pair of them. One is used for reloading rifle the other is used for swaging bullets.

Warf
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Banned
    warf73, if you have a pair of presses shown in my avatar we need to get together. That press is so rare that none have so far turned up. Obviously one was made for the picture but no other red painted ones have been found. Once in a blue moon a brown one can be located but they too are very scarce. I have one that some past owner painted battleship gray. A friend has two, one like mine and the one pictured, but they are both brown. If anyone knows the location of this press please contact me.

So, what are we talking about? The Herter's Model 3 Improved from 1979-1980.
    Attachment 61578

Understand what you are saying, otoh, I just bought a repainted Redding C-press that's tighter than Dicks hatband on Ewhosis. The seller didn't lie like some of them do. Absolutely no slop in the ram. Guess I got lucky this time.

I would prefer the original finish and if need be "refurbish" it myself, but it's like anything
    else, it depends on who is doing the "refurbish" some people think squirting paint all
    over some thing is refurbishing it..some will do a good job,...it is indeed buyer be where.

Boolit Buddy

My thoughts on restoration

As a long-time Winchester collector, I hear the argument of originality vs restoration constantly. Usually, those most vocal about retaining originality at all costs are those that have the means to buy pristine pieces. Those pristine pieces are naturally accompanied by prices that eliminate the majority of buyers including me, which is the reason my collection is rather small. Fortunately for reloading tool collectors, the prices are generally within reach of the average budget. The hunt to find the rare item is the source of enjoyment, rather than the acquisition of the item itself. But when these items are finally found, with the exposed metal tarnished and the painted surfaces half brown, half grey and half rust (I know, that's too many "half's") I personally can see no harm in a careful and tasteful restoration to a semblance of originality and a state of complete usefulness. These are tools, meant to be used, but there is no reason that they can't also be a thing of beauty and pride to the owner. When they have been neglected to a condition that usefulness is affected and the item is not one you're proud to display, I see no reason to have it. Just the $.02 worth of a newbie.
    yooper

I like to "refurb" older and neglected equipment back to operating status. Gives me enjoyment, but I don't repaint and resale for profit. I did once for a friend here, but at his request, and he knew going into the deal what I do.

Gives new life into tools that have plenty of life left in them; back to the reloading bench to get used as they were built to be.

At times I do sell some of the stuff I work on, but it gets declared and have had no complaints.

I dont trust many on line sales areas with the only exception of this forum.

Good people, good knowledge here.

Boolit Grand Master
    I buy most of my old reloading tools with two purposes in mind... to use them and to display them with contemporary appropriate firearms. If condition is reasonable, it will do for both of these purposes, sometimes with a little clean up and TLC. zi haven't completely refinished any major tools yet, but might, if condition were sufficiently deteriorated. JMHO, YMMV!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    I took a look At all your Items. Very impressive. Time consuming Projects
    All very Nice
    Sal
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost