Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W vs Ruger

Boolit Bub
    Well; I have 280 grit also. Maybe I'll do two cylinders of 280 & two with 400 & then slug the bore & see what it feels like.
    Had another surprise when I shot the M24 with a moderate load behind the 429421; it shoots about 6" high at 30 yards with the rear sight bottomed out. The Smith is so mint, I don't want to modify it so I've got some store-bought 200gr SWC's coming to try. Hopefully that will get the poi down to the top of the front sight. If it works; I'll just get a mold that drops around 200gr & save some lead. I limit myself to 50 yards in the woods with these 50+ year old eyes & a big deer here doesn't often go over 200# so a 200gr .44 will be fine.

Banned

Light loads or heavy boolits often shoot high. It is just barrel time and where the muzzle is at exit.
    Some S&W's had pinned in front sights so a higher one could be put in but I don't know about the 24.
    The 200 gr night work.

Boolit Bub
    The front sight is pinned. But it's pretty danged tall as is, & the S&W is so pristine that I don't want to change anything for now. Got the 500 box of 200gr RNFP's (not SWC's as I said earlier) today. They're Laser Cast brand & awful hard; >20 bhn. I'm brass-challenged at present; only have 50 on hand. I have 100 44 Mag cases located that I'll trim to SPL length soon as can get them. This ammo/component shortage is getting old, fast! Thankfully I found 900 Federal large pistol primers the other day while looking for a box to put my freshly cast 429421's in. I'm still out of Unique though. I have some shotgun powders that I'll have to try; Clays, Titewad, Red Dot, Blue Dot, & Univ. Clays.
    Last edited by kwilfong; 02-20-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kwilfong View Post
    The front sight is pinned. But it's pretty danged tall as is, & the S&W is so pristine that I don't want to change anything for now. Got the 500 box of 200gr RNFP's (not SWC's as I said earlier) today. They're Laser Cast brand & awful hard; >20 bhn. I'm brass-challenged at present; only have 50 on hand. I have 100 44 Mag cases located that I'll trim to SPL length soon as can get them. This ammo/component shortage is getting old, fast! Thankfully I found 900 Federal large pistol primers the other day while looking for a box to put my freshly cast 429421's in. I'm still out of Unique though. I have some shotgun powders that I'll have to try; Clays, Titewad, Red Dot, Blue Dot, & Univ. Clays.
    Fine looking gun and the sight looks right. Are you holding it tight enough to control recoil?
    Laser cast can be good but many are not the right size for a gun and lube is hard. Let us know how they shoot. Boolit hardness alone means less. I shoot my revolvers with 20 to 22 BHN.
    Yes, recoil control is important and I have thousands of pictures of barrels 90* and many with barrel clunks to the head. That is wrong and even my .500 JRH shot with one hand does not rise more then a .44 mag. The best is a revolver going past the ear, no way to hit a target like that. It is show only, like Clint with false recoil for the movie.
    You need to hold the gun just short of shaking like mad from tension. To think a smaller caliber can be held looser is a mistake. EVERY handgun must be held the same.

Boolit Bub
    I hang on pretty firm. Used to shoot a lot of 44 mag & 1911. The 1911 would jam with a loose grip.
    I'm going to replace the grips; don't like the forward curve on the lower front of the factory target grips. I've put Pahmayer signatures on my other N frames but this 24 is so pretty I'm going to pop for some fancy wood.

"Crush fit" is what I call it. That's why I like to find the old S&W models with a pinned barrel.
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Bub
    Ugly weather today but I shot a quick 5 shot group @ 25 yards with the 200gr RNFP's. Not a great group but I was in a hurry. Good news is that it was low & left by a couple inches; I can get the sights adjusted for that load.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12