WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .22 LR The New Money

Boolit Buddy

I'm literally seeing them everywhere. Gander Mtn., Dick's Sporting Goods, WalMart, local shops. It and most other 22 is everywhere around here.

Boolit Bub
    Some people put gold and silver away for hard times, not a bad idea. But my gold is brass and silver is lead.
    Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

Quote Originally Posted by Greg G. View Post
    Some people put gold and silver away for hard times, not a bad idea. But my gold is brass and silver is lead.
    Agree 100%, history tells us that when an economy collapses people revert to the barter system. Really hard to barter something that has little use other than precious metal. Can't eat gold, or silver, yet a 22 will put a pigeon over the campfire. Pigeon populations were drastically reduced during the depression. But then 22lr during the depression was dirt cheap.

I have many stashes. Little gold, fair chunk of silver, 3 big boxes of whiskey. Green unroasted coffee and tea. Some factory ammo in .223, 7.6x39, .22lr. Heirloom seeds, grain mill, rope, paracord, bank line, tape, glue. You know, the stuff that is hard to make yourself without the right tools and know how and raw materials. Stuff I can use up in the next 20 years if SHTF does not come.

I figure 2 weeks after the SHTF the AR and AK guys will have burned most of their ammo and will be desperate for more. I figure to sell it to them, 5 at a time, for half of whatever they shoot.

Repeat customers will be the ones that come in with more than 2 deer or maybe a good pile of looted guns/ammo and equipment.

Guns will be everywhere once the ammo starts running dry. Dime a dozen.

Time will quickly prove who can be trusted and who can not.

But I never put all my eggs into one basket.

Boolit Master

if it gets serious for a good while, primers are the one thing to stock up on. powder and projectiles can be made, brass will be around, but primers are the Achilles heel of reloading. for those that scoof at gold and silver, you need to study history a little better, I will be growing food long after any crises and if you want some, the only "money" I would take is gold or silver. if you think you are just going to live of the countryside and shoot a deer when you need too, you are in for a rude awaking, every animal worth eating will be dead or under armed guard.

Banned
    I prefer to trust God.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I prefer to trust God.
    Agree. Other than that people need to make their individual choices, and live with it, and not worry about the choices of others. I have nothing against people buying PM for their plan, it is just not my plan. Now will I give up chickens, milk, beef, eggs for some metal that has no value to me, hell no.

And that is what it boils down to, the value to the person you want to accept what you have to barter. It is like guns, we tell people all the time that a gun is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay. Or what the seller is willing to accept, both are needed to complete a transaction voluntarily.

Boolit Man
    I buy a couple boxes of cci minimags whenever I see them, seem to work great in all the 22s I own.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I have many stashes. Little gold, fair chunk of silver, 3 big boxes of whiskey. Green unroasted coffee and tea. Some factory ammo in .223, 7.6x39, .22lr. Heirloom seeds, grain mill, rope, paracord, bank line, tape, glue. You know, the stuff that is hard to make yourself without the right tools and know how and raw materials. Stuff I can use up in the next 20 years if **** does not come.

I figure 2 weeks after the **** the AR and AK guys will have burned most of their ammo and will be desperate for more. I figure to sell it to them, 5 at a time, for half of whatever they shoot.

Repeat customers will be the ones that come in with more than 2 deer or maybe a good pile of looted guns/ammo and equipment.

Guns will be everywhere once the ammo starts running dry. Dime a dozen.

Time will quickly prove who can be trusted and who can not.

But I never put all my eggs into one basket.
    Old post; but I just have to comment.... that'd be the day I do business with looters and marauders.

Maybe just to clean up whatever they dropped/have no use for when they come looking for stuff that isn't theirs.

Or to help drag the mortal coil that was shed, out to the bush to feed the wildlife....

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    if it gets serious for a good while, primers are the one thing to stock up on. powder and projectiles can be made, brass will be around, but primers are the Achilles heel of reloading. for those that scoof at gold and silver, you need to study history a little better, I will be growing food long after any crises and if you want some, the only "money" I would take is gold or silver. if you think you are just going to live of the countryside and shoot a deer when you need too, you are in for a rude awaking, every animal worth eating will be dead or under armed guard.
    Population density is pretty low around here. A lot of land and animals out there. Might be some stuff that gets to pretty low population numbers; but whoever doesn't hunt now, isn't going to pick it up overnight and kill all the deer out there. The successful hunters now will probably just keep on killing what they usually do.

As it gets tougher, and all the citiots realize that hunting isn't just "going out and shooting", they will give up, and gradually hunting pressure will ease as people lose the energy to do so.

And of course there is all kinds of small game, and a few things that most won't eat that'll be on the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber1911 View Post
    I buy a couple boxes of cci minimags whenever I see them, seem to work great in all the 22s I own.
    Never heard of anyone having an issue with the minimags in anything before. They're a bit more money than the cheap ones, but less than the expensive stuff, so I have some boxes around.

I also have a bunch of the Blazers laying around too, as well as a few other assorted CCI offerings. Found that my Woodsman clone is perfectly reliable with anything CCI. Wasn't the case with other brands, but someone clued me in that CCI brass is softer.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Never heard that the cci mini mags wouldn't feed in semi's. But last time went to range the wife was shooting a mahaley 22 and was having all kinds of problems and thats what she was shooting. I haven't shot that gun in decades and never had a problem so this may explain the problem.

My advice is quite general:

Keep nothing as a "trade item" that you do not use yourself. If you never have occasion to trade with it you at least can still use it.

Diversity is a good thing in trade goods. .22lr *might* turn out to be a valuable trade-good, or when the real deal goes down it might not. Don't put all of your barter eggs into one basket.

Whatever it is that you do decide to keep as barter material had better have a long shelf-life, and be something your personal circumstances will allow you to store well.

I know this thread is about ammunition, but you might also consider sewing needles of various kinds. Ever try to sew without one? Ever try to make one? A small ammo can will hold thousands and they'll keep forever with a bit of desiccant sealed inside with them.

Boolit Master
    I have a pretty big stash of .22lr but we use 'money' is because it can be exchanged for virtually anything, it just isn't good for much else. We don't eat it or built anything from it, or kill anything with it.
    If you trade [whatever ya got] for ammunition and then you shoot it up, you need to get or make something else to trade. If you share a portion of the game, you just reinvented "credit": you borrowed a loaded cartridge with the understanding that you would pay it back with interest or you offer your services as a hunter, lawman, sentry, muleskinner etc.
    Dunross is right: We'd be wise to stock a lot of different commodities but eventually we'll establish some form of currency that has no value of it's own, it just allows us to exchange goods and services more easily.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123