WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 LR The New Money

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.

.22 LR The New Money

I have seen references to people suggesting that in the event of a TEOTWAWKI that .22 LR would be used as money. After seeing what is happening with the present ammunition shortage I am a believer and I don't think it will just be .22 but all calibers and they will have values that rise and fall just like commodities such as gold and silver.

I am adjusting my storage plan to include more ammunition for trading stock but will wait until the prices regain normalcy before stocking up. I believe I will stock some of all the popular calibers, the ones no one can find now, even if I don't have guns that shoot them.

I assume factory ammo, ammo in spam cans, and hunting rounds will all be considered premium. As that gets used up then reloads will become the norm but will always be a question of who did the reloading.

It might be worth looking into primer and case sealant for extended storage.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/954...-1-2-oz-liquid
    It is a bit pricey so I need to do some research on alternates.

The new money! .22 LR standard velocity military surplus that the CMP sold last November for $150 a case delivered has sold on Gunbroker (same lot number) for as much as $655 a case delivered.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Buddy
    It's called fingernail polish

What the hell is teotwawki???

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    What the hell is teotwawki???
    The end of the world as we know it

Or, possibly, a Hopi Indian word for crazy a@@ pale faces. In either case, I'm stocking ammo too.

Moderator Emeritus

I would be cautious about arming someone who believes I have more left to trade. I agree it is a necessary item to have but may not be the best trade out there.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

The best trade surplus you can have is KNOWLEDGE. You only give what you're inclined to, and no one can take it away. Realization of how much you may have only makes you more valuable when the slightest possibility is observed that if treated well, you may be capable of making life better, easier, more productive, etc. for those who are finding themselves in dire straights.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Absolutely, right on.

Boolit Master
    I was in a gun shop the other day and I noticed several hundred rounds of .22 Long Rifle. It turns out it is the CCI Mini mags. I asked the shop owner why no one had bought them (I have no disposable income right now or I would have) and it seems that since most .22 owners have semi's they won't feed. I on the other hand have three .22 rifles and my little .22 Savage single shot pistol that will feed and digest any .22 on the market, and I have done a lot of squirrel killing with those mini mags and some old .22 standard velocity rounds. So tomorrow afternoon when I get some money I plan on stopping in hopes they are still there. If they are and the prices are not so far out in left field as to give me a stroke then I will buy them all. I love having a couple of .22's not so reliant on a certain brand or size to be hamstrung.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

In Remembrance
    My wifes 10/22 doesn't mind the minimags. I didn't know they wouldn't feed in semi autos.

Marlin 60 won't. Well it will but you have to get a new buffer afterwards. Recoil spring isn't strong enough and is a PITA to change.

"Moderator Emeritus"

I have never had a problem with Mini Mags feeding in any semi auto. In fact they are the only ones that will reliably feed my SIG Mosquito.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Marlin 60 won't. Well it will but you have to get a new buffer afterwards. Recoil spring isn't strong enough and is a PITA to change.
    i don't know, my marlin 60 has digested in today's prices a couple hundred dollars worth!

Boolit Master
    My Ruger 22/45 will eat EVERYTHING.... I'd buy them up. If nothing else, you may be able to trade them for what you do want.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    The price of .22 LR ammo seems to be holding around 10 cents a round or $5.00 a box if you can find it. The general opinion is this craziness will pass in a month, several months, or maybe a year and people will wait it out. I expect that the price would be much higher if people thought it might be many years or maybe never for things to return to "normal". Probably in a really bad situation people would not sell cartridges for dollars but only trade them for things that they needed thus becoming currency.

I can also see a trade in various qualities of ammunition. This is for those who would "never shoot anyone's reloads" that don't have their own equipment or sufficient supplies. I have added arbitrary dollar figures because we are used to thinking in monetary terms.

Hand lettered sign sometime in the future.

.223/5.56 AMMO for Sale or Trade Prices are Per Individual Round
    Prices are with trade in brass in good condition.

Loaded with soft lead boolit, local Black Powder, and re-manufactured primer. $1.00
    Loaded with Wheel Weight boolit, branded (Goex) Black powder and Primer. $5.00
    Loaded with Jacketed Bullet, commercial Smokeless powder and primer. $10.00
    Factory loaded new old stock stored in cool dry place. $25.00 each (when available)
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master

I guess it depends upon your area, as in Brainerd, Minnesota there were racks full of AR15's that just arrived and 22lr ammo available - the store was Mills Fleet Farm and 525 rounds of Remington were $17.99, while Federal & Winchester were $18.99. They have plenty of 223 and other calibers on the shelves also. They limit sales to individuals - 525 rounds of 22lr per person per day, 100 rounds of 223 or 500 rounds 223 with purchaase of an AR etc. They don't ship, so you have to purchase in person.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I sure hope Mills Fleet Farms' brother (Farm and Fleet) somehow patches up their relationship, and he finds out where they are getting all that ammo and guns, because there is no ammo, zero, in any farm and fleets around here. You are very blessed to have that store, as that isn't the norm anywhere around here.

Boolit Master

Yes, people in that area are blessed to have a business owner with "connections" who hasn't raised his prices a dime from 6 months ago on ammo. AR prices are also normal. There's people packed in purchasing items all day long. Your normal wait time to pay for your goodies is right at 20 minutes, so you can imagine how many people are in there at any given time. The young mills kid, Stuart Mills III, is the spark plug for the indoor shooting range and the steady supply of arms and ammunition.

The indoor range has both archery, rifle and pistol ranges, with pistol going to 50 yards and the rifle to 100 yards. Very nicely built and organized.

Here's an early video but just search with google if you want to learn more about this range.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...kFeFcPkE51L3Og

Boolit Master
    CCI Mini-mags are great 22's!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If it gets REALLY bad, after 30 days there isn't going to be much left you can shoot with a .22.....

The small game. neighborhood dogs and cats are going to be eaten first after then shelves at the Food Lion are empty. Calibers suitable for defense and killing larger livestock will be more useful, .38 Special revolver and some sort of rifle using .38/.357 as a floor level.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast