Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new Rolling Block 45-70 what can it take?

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    I bought a rolling block rifle off a gun show table 2 years ago. Neither the seller nor I knew what cartridge or what bore size. Prices at $495, offered $300, sold for $400.

I just wanted to experiment with it.
    At home I figured out that it is a non SAAMI 38 special chamber it what looks like a Douglas barrel. The chamber is way tight at 0.380" diameter. Exactly what I would have done. I have a .380" straight fluted reamer for lengthening 38 special chambers.

I identified it as a No.5 either 1902 or 1910 model.

don't overload guns if you don't have the knowledge and equipment to do it safely
    I worked up to the primer piercing. I switched to small magnum rifle primers. I worked up to piercing at ~ 357 mag double charges.
    don't overload guns if you don't have the knowledge and equipment to do it safely

It jammed. I did not figure this out, someone figured it out for me. The gas came back through the firing pin hole and slightly rolled the hammer back. I got the action open and pounded out the case with a ram rod, and nothing is damaged, but the message is clear, this rifle needs safety margin away from primer piercing. Quickload thinks that load is 216,000 psi, which is meaningless.

Now that I look at the pic, maybe the gas leaked from AROUND the primer, and not piercing it.
    I fired a lesser shot later to make sure it still works.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Remington No. 5 model 1902 or 1910 rolling block  0 38special Puyallup 4-27-2013.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	123903

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rolling block 38 sp work up 5-31-2013.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	123904

Banned

i like the rolling block action, but i don't feel comfortable with any of the metallurgy of those old remingtons, so i bought a pedersoli john bodine .45-70. even at that, i keep it to trap door load levels and only with my own cast lead boolits. i think these kinda rifles will always work best with black powder, too. keep it safe.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    I went through a stress analysis of what a handi rifle could take in 45/70.
    I determined it was several times higher than the brass.
    I fired one shot of a 405 gr cast trapdoor starting load, and it kicked me so hard I did not shoot that rifle again for a year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    I went through a stress analysis of what a handi rifle could take in 45/70.
    I determined it was several times higher than the brass.
    I fired one shot of a 405 gr cast trapdoor starting load, and it kicked me so hard I did not shoot that rifle again for a year.
    the .45-70 is a very versatile cartridge. it's the only caliber i have in my centerfire rifles.

if that was a standard 7# or so handi you fired, well, yeah, it can kick a bit with trap door loads, but lots depends on you and yer shooting form.

remove the butt plate, add buckshot or any kinda metal inside the stock hole, adding at least a pound. replace the butt plate and then add a recoil pad (like a kick killer). make SURE the recoil pad is firmly against yer shoulder as the hammer drops.

load some 405 lead with 12 grains of trail boss at about a 2.60" oal = ***** cat load, like a 22rf magnum. then load the same lead and oal over 25 grains of aa5744 = very nice, very accurate, some kick but nothing like what you previously experienced.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12