Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Champion Press

Boolit Mold

Champion Press

Some time ago I purchased a used CH4D Champion press from a member on here, the press was described as being in good condition. Well thinking good condition was unworn but some cosmetic defects from use I agreed to purchase it (I know I should have asked questions) Well since I'm from NZ it took a while before it arrived, I was excited when it arrived but upon unpacking it I found it wasn't in as good a condition as I expected.

I found the following issues

The toggle bolt worn 0.035"+ at one end and 0.015"+ at the other end
    On both links the lower holes where the toggle bolt passed through were worn oval, one link was worn more than the other.
    the toggle bolt hole in the toggle was also slightly oval and worn more at one end than the other.

None of these parts had any indication of lube on them when I dismantled the press.

I was a bit p.......d off at the time and shortly after this one arrived there was a group buy for this press and the price was about the same as I paid for my very well used worn one.

When I ordered a custom die from CH last year I also ordered replacement parts for the press...........these parts and the die have finally arrived, now with a few minutes work I will have a press that is almost like new. One thing I am going to change is the toggle bolt - this is just a standard 1/2" bolt and one link actually bears on the threads. I will get a pivot bolt made that has the links bearing on solid steel not threads.

Lesson learnt ask questions about condition BEFORE agreeing to purchase.

Kiwi

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post
    Some time ago I purchased a used CH4D Champion press from a member on here, the press was described as being in good condition. Well thinking good condition was unworn but some cosmetic defects from use I agreed to purchase it (I know I should have asked questions) Well since I'm from NZ it took a while before it arrived, I was excited when it arrived but upon unpacking it I found it wasn't in as good a condition as I expected.

I found the following issues

The toggle bolt worn 0.035"+ at one end and 0.015"+ at the other end
    On both links the lower holes where the toggle bolt passed through were worn oval, one link was worn more than the other.
    the toggle bolt hole in the toggle was also slightly oval and worn more at one end than the other.

None of these parts had any indication of lube on them when I dismantled the press.

I was a bit p.......d off at the time and shortly after this one arrived there was a group buy for this press and the price was about the same as I paid for my very well used worn one.

When I ordered a custom die from CH last year I also ordered replacement parts for the press...........these parts and the die have finally arrived, now with a few minutes work I will have a press that is almost like new. One thing I am going to change is the toggle bolt - this is just a standard 1/2" bolt and one link actually bears on the threads. I will get a pivot bolt made that has the links bearing on solid steel not threads.

Kiwi

First press I owned was one of those.

I replaced that bolt once a year for about 4 years until I saved enough money to buy an RCBS.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    . One thing I am going to change is the toggle bolt - this is just a standard 1/2" bolt and one link actually bears on the threads. I will get a pivot bolt made that has the links bearing on solid steel not threads.

Kiwi
    In cases like this I have had good luck buying a longer bolt, that has a longer shank, and cutting the threaded part shorter. If that cant be found, taking the longer bolt, cut it to the lenght needed, and rethreading it. OK.. so you would need rethreading dies, and not everyone has them.. Barring that... you could also cut a sleave to fit, and run a slightly smaller dia bolt through it so the linkedge pivits on the sleave insted of the bolt.Last option I would try is drilling out the worn linkege plates for a bronze bushing if you have enough meat in it. Either fix would be better then new.

Boolit Master
    I have never broke this bolt. Is it a grade 8? I know you probably don't have a fastenal (sp?) store but I think I will look at mine when I get home and use the correct bolt and or the bronze bushing idea with pin like described above. I have done some serious case forming on this press without a hiccup. I may be wrong but I don't think bolts should be used in sheer strength applications.

Take care,

r1kk1

Boolit Mold
    One thing I am going to change is the toggle bolt - this is just a standard 1/2" bolt and one link actually bears on the threads. I will get a pivot bolt made that has the links bearing on solid steel not threads.
    Kiwi
    I am looking at the parts diagram http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/presses/champion-parts and don't see why the link bears on the threads of the toggle bolt (item 8). I am curious because I just ordered one recently.

Thanks.

Paul

Sometimes a slightly softer bolt is used as the sacrificial part so it wears instead of the
    some other part(s) because it's more easily replaced. If you contact CH4D they should have
    the answers, I've found them to be pretty cordial.