Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Dot in 45acp

Boolit Grand Master
    OAL does affect things, true. But a workable OAL of much over 1.220 and 1.250" is not possible with either of the two mentioned bullets as the bullet's bearing surfaces start to strike the rifling origin, and at that OAL the claimed velocities with 5 grains Red Dot are still very slow compared to what I get. I load mine at the mentioned overall lengths. That is, as long as possible given chambering issues.

Had the OAL's been shorter the loads would have even less excuse to be that slow. So my comments still stand. That's a seriously slow barrel.

Boolit Master
    This thread makes me smile, as I just piste a thread today about picking up a jug of it for the purpose of loading for my 45s.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master

I'm also finding this interesting as I am about to start working up loads for my 9mm and 45ACP with Promo which is the same by weight as Red Dot. Some loads I have seen from Alliant and some that are in my Lymans 49 are quite different for Red Dot so am looking for a place to start. Lots of good info here

Boolit Grand Master
    Can't comment on the 9mm, but in 45 ACP 4 grains makes a nice target and frequent use load as it is economical on powder (Promo, that is.....I use it as well as I'm cheap). Velocity obtained for my with an HG 68 type bullet is, as I recall, just under or near 800 fps but I'll check that tonight and I'll report back. I'll give exact bullet and OAL and velocity and gun.

My latest lot of Promo happens to have the same weight in the same cavity size as that of my last lot of Red Dot.

Boolit Grand Master

45ACP 200gr lswc (Hornady #12108) I started with 4gr Promo. did not reliably cycle the slide or chamber the next round so went up to 4.2gr and bingo. Worked with minimal recoil. Went up to 5gr Promo for more power but everything in between worked fine.
    OAL 1.195 with this boolit

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    My old IPSC (back in the day) load for the 45ACP was 5.2 RD behind a 200gr RCBS SWC. It came right out of the Hornady Manual and used to make major power factor.

I love that powder and have used "tons" of it in 12ga too.
    Yep, I used the Lyman 452460 instead of the RCBS but Red-Dot did very well by me - I think Unique is actually my favorite powder but I have a big ol jug of it I'm slowly working my way thru.

Good Night! One of these days I want to buy a powder keg. Just so I can look at it. I think 15 pounds of Red Dot would last quite a while. Of course, I would probably just shoot more is all.

Boolit Master

Me too! Those kegs are cool. The 2 8lb plastic jugs and one 4lb plastic jug of red dot on my shelf just don't have the same cool factor.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master

Artful, that pic of the old keg of Hercules Red Dot brought a tear to my eye.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_G View Post
    Artful, that pic of the old keg of Hercules Red Dot brought a tear to my eye.
    Truly, a thing of beauty.

Red Dot was the very first powder I ever used to reload with, about 1970 or thereabouts for 12 gauge shotshells. 1-1/8 oz of 7-1/2s, 18.0 grains of the RD, into WW AA hulls with WW12 White wads. Back then, this was a standard trap and skeet load. These days, the trapsnots prefer to turn their 12 bores into 20s, with 7/8 oz loads and tiny powder weights. Sissy-la-las.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 03-05-2013 at 12:16 AM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

What memories indeed, I can't pass on pictures as in the old days Film Camera's were expensive and we didn't waste pictures on our hobbies much.

But the Rod & Gun Club used to get in Large Drums of powder and sell it off to you by the pound in paper bags. Surplus 4831, BL-C2, 4064 - I miss the old days.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Truly, a thing of beauty.

Red Dot was the very first powder I ever used to reload with, about 1970 or thereabouts for 12 gauge shotshells. 1-1/8 oz of 7-1/2s, 18.0 grains of the RD, into WW AA hulls with WW12 White wads.
    Al, that load sounds exactly like what I first loaded as well, about '74. My Dad bought a Mec 650 and that was the load we picked out. Went to the store to get components and he had everything but the Red Dot. He did have a keg of Green Dot though so we bought that. 20.0 grs of Green was the same as 18.0 grs. of Red.
    That keg of powder kept my Dad and I in shells for clay pigeons, doves, rabbits, pheasant, ducks (6 or 4 shot on the last three) for several years.
    Good memories...
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master
    That load was The Load for the claysports back in the day, and it served pretty well in the game fields too. This was a time before shotgunning became a yuppie trash sport requiring fashion statements, Range Rovers, and Italian stackbarrels. It's still blue jeans, obnoxious T-shirts, and Rem 870s for me. It is unalloyed Nirvana to whup they sorry butts attired and equipped in that manner.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I also have depended on Red Dot since the early 80's, I now use Promo instead (due to the price for 8lb jugs), as most of you know it can be substituted by weight with Red Dot but not by volume.

Boolit Bub
    I've used RD before in my 45 ACP loads but found "Clays" a little bit more accurate but if it's for punching holes in paper and you like it then load them up and shoot away.
    Winners go home, survivors go to the hospital and losers go to the morgue.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    I've never found the 45 ACP to be cranky or screwy about powders OR about cast boolits.......unlike a few other rifle-pressure autopistol calibers that come to mind. Bullseye, Red Dot, WW-231 all have done well for me, and Blue Dot + Speer 200 grain Flying Ash Trays did some impressive velocities for me without much strain to the platforms. THAT is a pretty wide range of powder speeds right there.

If all I had on hand was Red Dot.......my 38 Specials, 45 ACPs, and 12 gauges would be well-served.

Red Dot is my go-to powder for .45 & 9mm. Starting out I generally drop .2 or so under starting load, and put 1 cartridge in the magazine. I work up until the gun will JUST lock the slide and then start hunting for accuracy. generally .2 or .3 grains above that. 122gr concial in 9mm gets 3.9 gr, and 230gr RN gets 4.9 in .45. I crank them out by the bucketload, and don't like loads that batter my guns. Need to get busy, cause my gf and her daughter ran me completely out of the 9mm loads Sunday after church.

Boolit Grand Master
    FWIW.....4.9 Red Dot in 45 ACP under a 230 isn't wimpy. Midrange it ain't. It's full power, easily.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a lot of Red Dot also. In my 1911A1 and my 12 gauge loads.

If anyone wants to see the true accuracy potential of a 44 Magnum handgun, try 6.5 grains of Red Dot and any 240 grain swaged lead bullet. Velocity is only
    868 fps but the grouping will astound you. It's been my favorite mild load in my three screw Ruger Super Blackhawk for over 30 years. That load works great on our Pennsylvania Ground Hogs and would also double as a fine self defense load. Every 44 Magnum deserves at least one trial run with that load.

358 Win

Boolit Master

Attachment 66117

Never used Red Dot but will have to now as I got these 3 containers in an Estate sale last month. And yes I store my powder in an old fridge. Got it free on Craigslist. Keeps everything at a more constant temp, dry, and somewhat fire-resistant.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast