WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Hatchery Trout

Boolit Master

Hatchery Trout

Although we have some of the best salmon, steelhead, bass, crappie, surf perch, etc. fishing, I still enjoy taking my grandkids and great grandkids fishing for planted rainbow trout in Lake Selmac here in SW Or.
    They usually fairly easy to catch and very good eating.
    The lake is only 15 minutes from the house and should be getting the first stocking in a week or so.
    ODFW stock the trout once a month starting mid February through June, with 4500-5000 legal size fish per dump. This means 20-25K trout will be stocked in a 150 acre lake in 5 months.....dale

Boolit Master
    You're lucky to have good management like that. We have a good fisheries management in Michigan too. I gave up Trout and Salmon fishing in 2003. I had an allergic reaction to Salmon that year. Doctors said to not eat fish. In 2008 I had a challenge test. Turns out I can still eat most fishes. I just can't eat fish that harbor scombroid bacteria, which trout and salmon can. Weird. I never had that problem prior.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Tanycomo hatchery, Blue Springs, Norfolk river.

Boolit Master

dale2242

Will the trout survive the summer water temperatures to carry over from season to season?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

TC, The lake I mentioned is not very deep, maybe 30 feet at the deepest and it gets pretty warm in the heat of the summer. The water flow gets very low.
    Some of the trout hold over by going into the deeper, cooler water.
    Lake Selmac is managed as trophy largemouth bass lake, so the bass are taking a large number of the 8"-10" legal size fish. The osprey and Bald Eagles also get their share.
    It is pretty much a put and take situation, with 20K+ being planted each year with a pretty low hold over rate.
    Most of the other stocked lakes in SW Oregon have a good survival rate, as they are deeper and cooler with a much better water flow year round....dale

Boolit Buddy
    I have a memory of my younger brother trying to catch "very"(think still dazed after being pumped from the truck) freshly planted trout with his hands in Hills Creek east or Eugene/Springfield back in about the late 70's/early 80's. You used to be able to call a special number & the recording would tell you when they were planting which river.

I grew up fishing the Mckenzie, Hill Creek Res, Dexter Res, Fall Creek Res, and Look Out Point, and middle Fork of the Willamette. Then I remember the high mountain lakes in Willamette Pass, and hunting the high Cascades from Winberry Creek back toward Oakridge, then down to Wolf mountain, just north of Diamond peak......beautiful country.
    Thanks
    Ivan

Number #513

Yeah I figured it out. It would not be ALASKA……... unless it was the absolutely the toughest it could be and worst possible case scenario!

Boolit Buddy
    Here in CO, they stock fairly often. There are two or three just for kids ponds that are always stocked. My 3 year old niece cought a 10 in bass in the first cast! good times fishing with kids!

Does anyone fish in Missouri when the Conservation Department does its winter trout stockings at Parks around the St. Louis and Kansas City Areas? What flies do you use?