Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: mold handle material

mold handle material

I have a set of molds that I bought on e-bay they are clam style buckshot molds.
    The problem is they have wood handles put on like knife handles and they are too thick for my hand.
    I like the mold it works great just would like smaller handles what can I use instead of wood?
    I am thinking about liquid handles the stuff you use on pliers to make insulated handles but will it melt off?

It will definitely melt off. That dip you are refering to is plastic. Plastic starts to soften pretty good at just over 200 degrees and as lead melt temp for casting is 650 degrees and higher those mould handles will easily get to around 400 degrees . You might try sanding those handles down a little and use what are called hot gloves when casting. These are any of the 100% cotton thick fuzzy fleece like work gloves you find at a good hardware store. I use them when casting sinkers with the old palmer moulds with all metal handles and when casting bullets. Be sure they are cotton and not blended . Hope this helps.

10 Spot

Boolit Mold
    I second that. I wear insulated gloves since I swivel the sprue plate with my hand. Pete

Great idea I never thought of that.Thanks Also my wife says that they sell them at dollar store.

Boolit Grand Master

I go over to NHNorthern and pick up a pair of welding gloves for only a little more. Since I too cut the sprue with my hand I always use the right glove and almost never the left. I think I have three left gloves hanging around!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!