RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Have the hoarders bought up all of the 22LR???

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Merlin .... you too ? For whatever reason years ago I developed a fondness for Remington Tins . It's certainly not a complete collection but I just enjoy the artwork on the metal I guess .

Smokywolf , your explaination makes a lot of sense . The last time rimfire ammo went to forty dollars a brick I didn't buy a single round or complain about the asking price . This last summer Rimfire ammo came down to twenty dollars a brick and when I bought no one complained . In fact a local forum I visit guys were spotting and cashing in on bulk packs of Blazer at eighteen dollars .... and no one complained . To put it in an investment sense like you have , I remember no one was complaining when people were buying houses and flipping them . That action raised the market value and property tax along with it . Now the sales of houses have slowed and prices shrinking , the property tax is still going up .

Jack

Well stated Smokeywolf
    do unto others................

Boolit Master
    I went to the local shop today because the other day they had some mini mags which don't work well in semi's but I was hoping to get some for my .22 single shots. Well, it was gone, bought up by one person a couple of days ago. I didn't have the money the other day when I was there or I would have bought some of it, but this is how it goes. I went through my .22 stash today and I have roughly about 2,000 rounds. I would like some more but I am not going to fight over them or pay off the wall prices. I will keep looking here and there for when some comes back in stock. I saw one place selling a brick of .22 for $60, they can keep it at that price.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Master
    keep your eye on luckygunner.com
    they have a variety of stuff on hand, doesn't appear they are gouging.

I don't know if I'd call it hoarding though-more like they weren't prepared. Retailers are getting the product but people are buying it before it hits the shelf. Every Thursday when the ammo truck arrives at Sportsmans in Albuquerque, there are usually about 5 dozen people just milling around waiting for them to bring the ammo out.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    If you have a 2 year or more supply, why would you buy more at these inflated prices? Wait it out fellas, don't add to the problem.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    If you have a 2 year or more supply, why would you buy more at these inflated prices? Wait it out fellas, don't add to the problem.
    My thoughts exactly.

Just stopped by my favorite gun shop, to get my ruger sr22p out of layaway. They, Williams gun sight, had just received a fresh purchase of cci blazer and some lapua 22 lr ammo. Unfortunately they limit customers to two 50 packs a day. So I got my daily quota of cci's along with my new sr22p. Now time to clean the gun up and go shooting. Ammo is it there, you just have to find the right place.
    Last edited by boltons75; 02-23-2013 at 11:55 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I needed some CCI Standard Velocity and I couldn't find it locally in November so I bought what many would think was a hoarding quantity of .22LR "on-line" then... just to make up the haz-mat fee.. GOOD THING I did! But oddly enough I made a snarky sarcastic comment on the Facebook post of a local gun shop who said he had a lot of 22LR guns come in. You know "how about some ammo for those guns?" .. (Nope)... and the janitor where I work left me a note saying that he'd sell me some! So yup.. it's that bad...

Heck I sold almost all my .22LR (I had 10 bricks) @ $50/brick. I didn't make the people that bought it from me any less happy. They were happy to get it at that price and I was happy to sell. I have a little that I won't sell, but .22LR isn't worth shooting to me if it's $.10 each when I can make 9mm cast loads for a nickle each.

There is more too it than just hoarding or panic buying. I noticed after recovering from the last panic that most places greatly increased thier ammo inventory then got burned and thereafter reduced their ammo inventory. I have heard that ammo has a low profit margin. In the retail business those are the items where you are able to control your costs by controlling your inventory. I noticed a lot of places that once had 15-20 bricks of.22 now only carried maybe 5 on a regular basis. most were probably still selling as much ammo as they ever had they just were not inventorying as much. As a result even minimal pressure on their stocks has put us where we are. manufacturers ar now not only trying to catch up with normal orders but fill what normally the stores would have had in surplus inventory 6-8 years ago. I'll admit to buying a carton a month back even though I rarely shoot .22 anymore. I think it is the first carton I have probably bought in 3-4 years so I don't feel bad about "grabbing it".

I do know I'm not prepared to pay $50 carton when I can load .38s and 9mm for less than that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Heck I sold almost all my .22LR (I had 10 bricks) @ $50/brick. I didn't make the people that bought it from me any less happy. They were happy to get it at that price and I was happy to sell. I have a little that I won't sell, but .22LR isn't worth shooting to me if it's $.10 each when I can make 9mm cast loads for a nickle each.
    I hear ya, but I will be shooting mine! I ran out of small pistol primers this week, and I wont pay what they want for them now. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hmm. guns n stuff 006.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	62414

In Remembrance
    I bought two bricks yesterday for 22 bucks a pop. I gave 1 to my son, so I don't feel like a hoarder, but feel like I paid 44 bucks for a brick. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    It would be interesting to hear what the word hoard means to those who use it in todays world . At another place I visit it seems to mean the same as price gouging or ticket scalping .

Jack
    It's not hording It's proper inventory management!
    The only part of the metric system America has embraced is the 9mm.

Remember incoming fire has the right of way

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by dnotarianni View Post
    It's not hording It's proper inventory management!
    Hey !!! that's a great way of looking at it !! Thanks !

Jack

This AMMO RUSH won't last forever I just stopped using my 22lr ammo once I noticed what was taking place. My wife works at Wal-Mart and I get a discount on ammo. I've seen 22lr there in small amounts but left it for others because I have around 1,000 rounds. I own a few Beeman airguns and have turned to them to do all my plucking with for now to reserve my 22lr,410,30.06 ammo just incase. Yes I'm a 47 year old man that has never lost the love of airgunning from my childhood my airguns just cost a heck of lot more then they did when I was a kid. If the ammo rush is still going come hunting season I'll do my small game hunting with my airguns it's not like I haven't hunted small game with them before.

Going to Dicks sporting goods Wally Walmart Celands Outdoor World loooking for 22 ammo.

Boolit Master
    Yes I'm a 47 year old man that has never lost the love of airgunning from my childhood my airguns just cost a heck of lot more then they did when I was a kid. If the ammo rush is still going come hunting season I'll do my small game hunting with my airguns it's not like I haven't hunted small game with them before.
    Much the same with me but add 20 well closer to 21 years to the age. Beeman 250 rifle and Beeman webley tempest pistol. Neat part of hunting squirrels with them is that it does not cause all of the victims friends to run away a hide for awhile. I have shot squairles out of a tree and had others to come down and try and figure out why they fell.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Master
    i too am laying back waiting for this to blow over, and i have been shooting my BB gun, and my slingshot more nowday's.

Took the tour of the city today no 22 ammo.

Boolit Master
    "They" are buying it up as fast as it comes in around here. Was in Walmart the other day to pick up a prescription and while I was waiting I made a tour to the gun counter. They were just putting out the weekly ammo/gun order on the shelves. Folks were circling like buzzards circling a dead possum waiting and buying . They only got in about 5-6 bricks of Rem golden bullets and were only selling the 50 round boxes and limits of three per customer. Folks in line were already on the phone getting family and friends to come back and get the three boxes.

I've got enough to do me a day or two so I am waiting for things to calm down a bit.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast