Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: 33 wcf loads

Boolit Master

33 wcf loads

Data is very hard to find for this and could someone help with some for a 200gr cast gas check. I have the old Hornady manual that list the 200 jacketed FP but have heard that the loads are too hot. Load data.com shows they have quite abit but I have not paid a subscription to it. Maybe it's worth it? Anyone know? Thank you.

Boolit Master
    The older Ideal reloading manuals have some data for that type load (195 gr cast) in the 33WCF. In the Ideal manual I see a couple I'd try. 195 gr GC, 12 gr 4759 @1161 fps or 195 gr GC, 17 gr 4759 @1597 fps. The 2400 load listed for that bullet seems a little hot to me- 25.2 gr @2100 fps.

I have 2 Win 86s in 33 WCF. My best load using a 200 gr GC bullet is 31 gr of 4895. It is a little sooty so I'm certain fairly low pressure but it is very accurate and I don't push my old guns anyway. Also, looking at the Ideal data, I wouldn't have any hesitation substituting 5744 for the 4759 given they yield nearly identical ballistics, with the 5744 just a fraction slower than the 4759 in all data I've looked at.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Master

Find the Lyman Ideal Handbook #38 at Castpics. It's got 33 Win data. The handbook is hard to find for some reason it's in the historic mould catalog section of references. At least I htink that's where it is. If you don't find it I can e-mail you a scan of the data. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master
    Here's a link to the Ideal #38 data in pdf format. You'll have to scroll down to pg 82 for the 33WCF
    http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/OM/IdealHandbook38.pdf

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    One thing I did learn about shooting my 33 Win in a 1920 era model 86 was that it seemed to shoot the 200 grain area a bit better. Did not try any lighter boolits but getting above 220 was some what counter productive if I was looking for a load past 50 yards. Up to 50 yards a 245 was OK as it would stay with in 3 inches... Not stellar but I was looking for an up close smasher type for river bottoms.
    5744 did the normal of leaving grains in the barrel no matter what the boolit weight. For plinkers I found 2400 to be good to around 1800 fps (start at 18 grains with 200 gr ). I wish I had started with 3031 (start at 32 grains with 200 gr) as it seemed to be the best all around hunting type loads. But I started to late and the rifle had to go to storage.
    When I return iv a few years it will get moved to a higher spot on the shoot more list.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Thanks so much for the help guys. I hope to be loading for it by April. I bought 150 reformed cases but still need to order dies and a mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Thanks so much for the help guys. I hope to be loading for it by April. I bought 150 reformed cases but still need to order dies and a mold.
    What mold are you ordering? A cousin of mine has an 86 in 33, and he's a handloader--albeit not one that has been converted to boolits yet.

Boolit Master

Im looking at getting one from Accurate its a copy of the old lyman 200gr gc. It looks like the way to go to me.

Boolit Master
    That Lyman 200 gr GC design is a good one in the 33WCF. In one of my 86s, that bullet sized to .339 does fine. The other 86 shows a slight preference to .340.

Boolit Master

Once my cases come in ill make some dummy slugs at 339 up to 341 and see how they chamber when seated in a case.

Boolit Master
    Yep, the key is to get a mold that drops a bullet to at least the largest diameter that will be useful with the intended alloy but not so large that resizing becomes problematic or damaging to the bullet. Another way to determine max bullet diameter for chambering is to fire a fairly stiff load in new case with whatever bullet. Measure the neck wall thickness, double that and subtract from the neck diameter after fireforming. Given the neck shrink back after firing, it usually provides a reasonable estimate of max bullet diameter that will chamber.

Boolit Master

I done a chamber and throat cast with cerrosafe but still like to chamber a dummy with a flat nose.