RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Making pin fire cartridges?

In Remembrance

Making pin fire cartridges?

I'm thinking of making some pin fire brass; I have a couple of ideas but was wondering if anyone here has done this. There is a website selling the kits but they are in Europe somewhere and are kinda expensive. I know people have done this using commercial brass, just can't seem to find any references. TIA!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

If you can find a copy from Interlibrary loan,

The Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions by George Nonte
    Publisher: Gun Room Pr (February 1986)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 0882270052
    ISBN-13: 978-0882270050

There is a newer version that I've not had an opportunity to read yet.
    The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions (Revised Edition)
    by John Donnelly and Judy Donnelly
    Paperback: 608 pages
    Publisher: Skyhorse Publishing; Revised Edition edition (August 17, 2011)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 1616082380
    ISBN-13: 978-1616082383

I found this site to be a good read.
    http://hlebooks.com/pinfire/pin00.htm

In Remembrance
    I have both the books you mentioned; however my Nonte book is an earlier one...copyright 1961 and 1967. I have not been able to find anything on pinfire cartridges. Do you have any specific page numbers? I also have seen the website; that is where I found the info and reloading kits. Thanks.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

I'm sorry, but I remember reading an article and assumed it was in the Cartridge Conversion book. I'm even sorrier I donated my copy to the library book sale.

What I'm remembering is for small pin fire shells, rim fire casings were swagged, trimmed, and drilled. Another used .380 cartridges. The base was deformed into filling the primer pocket and then the bottom milled flat. I'm thinking a lathe was involved, but...

Good luck.

Boolit Master

I read an article on this long ago; the cartridges were made by soldering brass sheet to a tube formed from more brass sheet (so you'd have a solder seam the length of the cartridge as well as the one at the base), primed with a small pistol primer super glued inside, and the pin seated into the center of the primer's anvil before loading powder and bullet. If you can find hobby store brass or hard copper tube the right size (or that you can swage or draw to the right size), or have a chamber that will accept an existing case with the head cut off, you can avoid the solder seam on the side, but the case is well supported and these should be loaded only with small charges of black powder anyway.

The cases produced are reloadable, BTW; there's little or no brass deformation on firing, so as long as you don't split a seam (and you won't, if you get the size right or manage to use commercially made tube), you can pull the pin, pop the primer off the glue, stick another one in, and go again.

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen some larger caliber pin fires made from conventional center fire cases by mearly leaving the fired centerfire primer in place to seal that off.
    Then drilling the edge of the case for the 'pin'. This has to be done at a slight forward angle to reach ahead of the solid head of the case.
    The new primer used was a percussion cap instead of a conventional centerfire primer.

Loading process was 'tedious' I was told.
    In one case shotshell loads were made up for a SxS.
    The percussion cap was set down inside the case with a tweezers and the pin made of brass rod (I think he said he used 1/16" dia brazing rod) was inserted from the outside and guided in so it sat inside the cap. Obviously when the hammer struck it, it was the primer to set the charge off. When the pin was in place, he put a dab of (super) glue on the pin to hold it's position and seal it at the outer case edge.
    Then charged the case w/ BP,,extremely light loads,, card wad & fibre wads,,then shot, over shot wad and crimp.

They worked well for all the trouble.

The hammer fall easily defeated the super glue fixed placement of the pin,,but the glue made sure the pins stayed put in the cartridges when handled.

***One thing to keep in mind when handling them is that ANY strike against that pin can set one off.
    It doesn't matter if percussion caps or conventional primers are used for ignition inside. The extended pin makes for a dangerous mechanism to handle when loaded.***
    The cartridges are a potential small explosive device w/a trigger in your hand, pocket,,,any where. Not just in the chamber.

It does work,,be carefull,,have fun..

I made some pin fire cases for a 12 gauge shotgun using small pistol primers, they may be a tad over-engineered, but works great:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ass-Shotshells
    Cap'n Morgan

Banned
    A lathe turned bottom, a piece of brass tubing, a spent pop rivet and a small percussion cap.
    The bottom is made with a round hole of course but punched with a square punch made from a grade 8 bolt.
    When done the bottom is lead soldered into the pipe and a hole is driled for the pin. "Easy peasy".

In Remembrance
    Thanks for the replies. As I said, I have a couple of ideas and what I see here is like what I was thinking. The one revolver I want to reload for takes 44-40 brass perfectly; I would have to turn the rim off and plug the primer hole...soft solder a plug or drill and tap for a threaded plug. Anyway, it looks to be a do-able project!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Here is a site that sells the loading dies, equipment for euro cases, might be able to get an idea or two from how they work.

http://hlebooks.com/pinfire/pin00.htm

32ideal

Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    Thanks for the replies. As I said, I have a couple of ideas and what I see here is like what I was thinking. The one revolver I want to reload for takes 44-40 brass perfectly; I would have to turn the rim off and plug the primer hole...soft solder a plug or drill and tap for a threaded plug. Anyway, it looks to be a do-able project!

In Remembrance
    Yes, I have seen that web site, got some ideas from it. Thanks.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Contact Rocky Mountain Cartridge. I think they also make what you want.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

In Remembrance
    Thanks, I'll try to check that out.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM