Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheelgun ,auto,single?

I get the most enjoyment from shooting lead in a single action revolver. You don't loose brass. You don't go through ammo as fast. You have a wider range of bullets and load options vs a semi-auto.

Boolit Master
    I've shot my cast bullets out of contenders, SA and DA revolvers and autos. I got rid of the contender because I could never warm up to shooting it off hand, and IMHO why have a handgun if you only shoot it from a rest. I'm down to a 45 acp auto, I figure everyone should have at least one, but I hate chasing brass. That leaves revolvers. I have both SA and DA, but while I love the look and feel of SA's, the DA grip seems to fit my hands best.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by TCTex View Post
    Well, I guess I am the weird one who casts for all three.

Picking a favorite, that would be a tough one.
    Your not alone, Same here

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    What would be your favorites to cast for?And for what reason.Just somethin i have thought about as a newbe.
    I like the 38 special /.357magnum in a wheel gun (I own S&W 686). Uses less lead and with less recoil. A good wheel gun that is fitted and timed correctly is very hard to beat IMO. My Ruger Blackhawk in 45 long colt is just too bulky...ammo wise mostly and long 7 1/2" barrel length. I would like to get this long Ruger barrel shortened.

I also have a 1911 45acp auto (ejects brass everywhere) and a Thompson Contendor single shot chambered in 300 Whisper (too large to carry).

Using a good mold such as RCBS, the 357 is just as easy to cast as larger bullets.
    Last edited by detox; 03-07-2013 at 11:01 AM.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I prefer to cast for the "N" frame and "L" frame Smith and Wessons in just about that order . Though I do have a 1911 it doesn't get the use the revolvers get .

Jack

Boolit Buddy
    The REPUBLIC of TEXAS The state most likely to succeed
    I favor to cast for the cheapest most accurate one I got.
    Not necessarlty in that order.
    You?
    Ha! Ha! Ha!
    Last edited by blackbike; 07-09-2013 at 06:40 AM.
    Keep your powder dry....blackbike
    :takinWiz:

Boolit Master

I personaly like all 3 ! just depends on what game is being played.

Boolit Grand Master
    An easier question might be "What DON'T you cast for?" I pour for D/A & S/A revolvers, D/A, S/A, and Safe Action autopistols, bolt rifles, lever rifles, single-shot rifles. I don't make shot for bird hunting or clays-busting, though--I go store-bought with that.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I have had my dance with a single shot (contender) and decided if I want something like that it will be an honest rifle. That leaves wheel guns and autos. Like most, I hate to chase brass so my wheel guns get most of the use. If it is a social occasion in the big city, the 1911 goes in the belt.

Them. I cast for all three, but I am so cheap with brass that I will probably have to break down and mow my lawn before I do all that much with the 45 auto.
    NRA Life Member

I cast 357 for my Ruger Blackhawk and Marlin 1894C carbine. It's an ultra-versatile cartridge, and very cheap to produce. 45-colt would be a close second, and you probably don't need to mess with mixing alloy for the 45-colt.

--Jeff

Boolit Bub
    Definitely my Wheelguns, Ruger Blackhawk in 38/357 so many options on loads and lots of fun to experiment with.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Boolit Master
    I prefer to shoot revolvers over autos. They are just easier for me to shoot well. Sadly with my frame a revolver is difficult to carry concealed.

As of July first Arkansas became a Constitutional Carry state and I need to find a nice looking holster for my Security Six and save the auto for formal occasions.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Definitely wheels. I grew up on them. I love shooting autos and love the pieces off my 1911, but I am not well heeled enough to make up for the inevitable brass loss that comes with autos. I get 100% brass recovery with wheelguns.

I am in love with revolvers. Smith&Wesson revolvers in particular. Old, new, big, small, blued, stainless, long barrel, snub nose.
    They are easy to load for, accurate,fine looking, and I don't chase brass all over creation.
    Have just a couple bottom feeders: A Sig/Sauer P229 in .357SIG and a Colt Stainless Gold Cup in .45ACP. Rarely shoot the SIG but will take the Gold Cup out for a walk.

Boolit Mold

1911 is by far my favorite to cast for

Boolit Master
    A great number of posts thanks to all.when I posted this I had 2 wheel guns to cast for a 586 and a 686. the 586 went well it shot well right away but the 686 had problems.this past week end I got the 686 to shoot cast with no leading I was very happy about that.No after this post have a a few new toys sig 226 in 40S&W and a colt anaconda in 45lc.i have not messed with the sig much yet.i have began workin on the colt.In process of lapping my mould to fit the large throats we will see how this goes then work on the sig.

i have allways been a wheelgun fan so the auto will wait till im ready. i am not into hunting brass and chaseing the tarp in the wind.i am getting better at casting and reworking the lee moulds.Thanks to a lot of people on this board.i sure wish it was here 20 yeas ago when tryed casting with out much help.I have yet to venture into casting for rifle still thinking on what i may want lol all the above right?

Thanks again to all that have replied

Bob

Banned

What is a cast boolit? I am a revolver man but be assured cast would still go into any gun. I am in full agreement that you can use cast in all three and only what you like in a gun is your choice.
    Best to have all three.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12