WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Largest Carp for 2012

Boolit Grand Master

Smoked carp can be very good. Like most wild game what its feeding on and how the meat is handled cleaned and prepared is important also. Most of the carp here from the river have a mud vein that needs to be removed carefully. Its a soft flakey meat. A couple guys at work would go together and bring one in around Christmas time to share. They were always very good.

In Remembrance

Around up here those are referred to as `Bugle mouthed Bass`.Robert

Banned
    To All,

My late father, who passed away when I was in boarding school, was an Amer-Indian out of NE Oklahoma & made the best "salmon patties" that I've ever had out of carp. = I wish that I had been smart enough to watch him dress/prepare them.

yours, tex

I love catching them on light tackle. A 20 lb carp on light spinning tackle with 20 lb spectra braid line will scare ya. That first blistering run can rip 150 yards of line off before you can turn them.

Its hang on and listen to the drag scream.

And they know every stump in the river too.

Here on the Red River of the North 15 lbers are everywhere, 20's are common and 30's are there, its just hard to land the really big ones. They'll put a bend in your rod and leave you feeling alive though.

I maybe keep one a year for cut bait for catfishin. The rest get released.

Fish gets to go home and tell his story, I get to go home and tell mine. Win win in my book.

Banned
    Ghosthawk,

WELL SAID. - These "rough fish" fight quite hard.
    Fwiw, I once managed to land a just over 36# freshwater drum out of Sulfur River in NETX. = He dragged my little skiff all over the place for what seemed like half the afternoon & proved to be quite a handful at the net.
    (He "hit" an artificial lure, of all things.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 01-21-2018 at 11:41 PM. Reason: clarity

As a boy I was up early one morning at the lake cabin. Bullheads had spawned 2 nights before in the shallow mud bottom areas.

When I approached the water I could see the whole area was full of carp.

They would not bite anything, period. Total liplock, they was sucking bullhead eggs, and that is all that was on the menu.

Eventually out of pure frustration I tied a treble hook off a big dardevil spoon directly onto my line.

I learned that if I cast past the fish some 2 feet it would not spook. Then retrieve until close, stop, line would settle over the fish's back, and the hook would end up directly under the fin. Where with a sharp set it would stick. Fish on.

So I had caught some 10-12 carp, 12 to 18 lbs probably. When I saw the monster.

Looked like a submarine.

Eventually I laid down on the dock, fishing rod at my side, waiting. That big girl, she could taste those eggs, but she was careful.

Eventually she went tail up feeding. Cast, reel, settle, HOOK, And we were off.

Rod/Reel was a shakespeare Cherry wood combo, nothing special. Loaded with 150 yards of 8 lb mono.

I was not sure I was going to get her turned. But she did turn, and I did see bare metal at the bottom of my spool before I regained line.

Then the people started showing up. "Bills into a Big ONE"

How big bill, "over twenty" Your full of it, there ain't no fish in this lake over 20 lbs. "This one is, closer to 30"

In the end it was a near one hour epic battle.

Dad comes striding down, carp thrown around the grass, to see me slide this big monster up onto the shore.

26 lbs 14 ounces. And then I got to go dig holes in the garden to bury all those carp I caught.
    Made good fertilizer.

And totally hooked me for life on the sound of that screaming drag, the curve of a bent rod, and a fine healthy sporting fish on the far end.

Not trash, not in this man's book. No indeed, the very queen of fishes. A wise, wily well respected adversary. One capable of making a man want to drive his head into a brick wall.

Don't believe me, ask the English. They know.

To me carp are fun to go after and like with you they give one good fight that you will not forget. I have myself but they where not as big as yours ghost. The Lake stugeon I got gave a good fight also.I normal will eat carp.bake in the over or i buy some that are smoke and eat it with crackers .I like bull heads also. When you fight a large mouth bass you know also a good fight.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12